Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2020, 02:41   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives
Possible to use glass instead of plexy for hatch?

Hi,
as title: i am having trouble to find an 8mm plexy sheet to replace my hatches lens, so i was wondering if i can use 8mm glass instead. It's a 32x32cm hatch,
Opinions?
Cheers.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 03:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Possible to use glass instead of plexy for hatch?

Try a plastics supplier, like Ridout Plastics Co. Inc. (ePlastics)
Plexiglass/acrylic ➥ https://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass/acrylic-sheets
Lexan/Makrolon polycarbonate ➥ https://www.eplastics.com/polycarbonate

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 04:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives

Thank you for the suggestion.
Unfortunatelly i am in Crete, Greece, and ordering online would be the last option because it will take quite long to arrive and also because it would be difficult to match the colour. If glass is a viable option i can get it fairly quickly instead.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 04:35   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Here's some discussion on safety glass vs tempered glass.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ic-147003.html
Old 19-02-2020, 04:37   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Consider that glass is much heavier, and if these are opening hatches they might not stay open.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 04:43   #6

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

I don’t know the answer on a technical level, but maybe automobile safety glass, laminated so that it won’t shatter from an impact may work, for durability and additional safety a double laminated glass if available could be better, just a thought, good luck with your search.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 04:43   #7

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quite a few people have asked the same question apparently.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...UV1CjQQ4dUDCAs

Tonight's reading!
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 04:45   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

It is certainly possible to use glass in hatches. For our new boat this is exactly what we did. We were sick of the scratching, crazing and other deterioration that occurs to plastics.

However, these were custom designed hatches. Using glass in a hatch designed for plastics is another matter and something I would not recommend.

If you do decide to experiment with glass, it needs to be laminated or toughened glass with the former probably the best choice for most applications.

Plastic should not be too hard to find in Greece, but I cannot offer specific recommendations.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 04:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

According to this directory, there are (at least) 48 Plexiglass/Acrylic Products Businesses in Athens:
Athens Plexiglass - Acrylic Products | Plexiglass - Acrylic Products in Athens Greece | Greece.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 05:09   #10

Two different friends have replaced the plex in their hatches with a sheet of divinycell glassed both sides with biaxial. fits perfectly, extremely light weight. You can't see through them, but they also don't need covers to keep the sun out.
Tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 05:34   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

We use laminated safety glass for forward-facing fixed ports - the ones we look through. The problem with that route with opening ports has been that the manufacturers see that wonderfully machineable plexiglas and go at it, so you cannot simply substitute glass.
Old 19-02-2020, 05:35   #12

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

You will have the problem of the profile of the edge of the glass. I know that my Lewmar hatches have a very specific profile on the edge that fits nicely with the specific rubber seal.
If you go with glass you will need to find a rubber seal that fits the glass and the aluminium frame. Good luck in Crete for finding that.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 06:59   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
You will have the problem of the profile of the edge of the glass. I know that my Lewmar hatches have a very specific profile on the edge that fits nicely with the specific rubber seal.
If you go with glass you will need to find a rubber seal that fits the glass and the aluminium frame. Good luck in Crete for finding that.
This should not be a problem with most hatches. The rubber seal typically attaches and seals to the aluminium frame. The plastic lens has a constant thickness with a simple square profile to the edge. Glass and plastic will be the same in this regard so the existing seal should work (although replacing these rubber seals when the lens is replaced is always a good idea).

Laminated glass can absorb some moisture along the edge. It creeps along the layers and effects the transparency. Normally laminated windows/hatches are designed with an edge sealing system to minimise this effect. This would not be the case for a hatch designed for a plastic insert, but it should still have a reasonable life, as the edge will be liberally coated in sealant.

I still think plastic would be a much better choice, but glass may work. If so, the long term transparency and retention of strength of a glass lens would be an added bonus. Glass also seems to form a more reliable long term leak free design, perhaps because sealants stick better to glass or perhaps it is because the expansion rate is less, whatever the reason, leaking hatches are horrible so anything that improves the reliability is perhaps worth some experimentation. Although I think part of the problem is marine hatches are fundamentally a poor design with multiple points of potential leaks combined with an opening system that tries to force out the lens and break the very seal that keeps most of the water out every time the hatch is opened.

Glass and plastic have very different properties so swapping one for the other is not straightforward.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 09:19   #14

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

It is much easier to work with plexi, shaping, smoothing, making holes, add in weight and ease of handling, the decision is simple for a do-it-yourselfer. On the downside is expansion/contraction, scratching, and crazing.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 09:22   #15

Boat: Island Packet 420

I know somebody in Spain who could make those for you out of plastic. He also makes glass windshields for boats, so can go either way. If you sent him your old one, he could undoubtedly replicate it. Of course, I am offering his services without asking him, but I have seen his work and it is very good.

Send me a private message if interested.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch