Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 11:53   #1

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht
PMMC or laminated glass

I have a 2012 Fountaine-Pajot. The SB front window popped out below.
It is creased so I consider replacing it in stead of gluing it back.

Going with the FOUNTAINE-PAJOT PMMC again, seems like repeating the same mistake.

Besides, the opening hole window is so damn small, I would like to redo that. It can be done. My friend's FP has bigger windows installed aftermarket, but he doesn't know who, he bought it as is.

FP will supply new windows at some $1700 per piece, but won't supply it with a bigger port hole.

I am currently in Caribbean. Is it possible to replace the PMMC with glass laminated? Given that it is curved window.
If so, where can I get it done ?

Is there any con's? We are only two on the Catamaran, thus weight is not a concern for me.

But I am tired of the creased PMMC windows.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 20:42   #2

Re: PMMC or laminated glass

I assume you mean PMMA (poly methyl methacrylate)? What would normally be know as "acrylic" or by the original tradename of "Plexiglass"

As for it being POSSIBLE to get glass to match the curve: Yes, it is possible, but it is also a VERY expensive custom job. I doubt if any local places can supply such a project.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
I assume you mean PMMA (poly methyl methacrylate)? What would normally be know as "acrylic" or by the original tradename of "Plexiglass"

As for it being POSSIBLE to get glass to match the curve: Yes, it is possible, but it is also a VERY expensive custom job. I doubt if any local places can supply such a project.
I apologise for the pmmc erratum. Yes, it should read PMMA.
I corrected the tags, but the error in the message body and heading is here to stay.

I hope somebody can direct me to a custom glassmaking to get a quote or something. I don't seem to search the Internet properly to be able to find one.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:33   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It is also possible to bend your own acrylic, by gentle heating over a piece of pipe, but Fountaine-Pajot boats have big windows so it would be a big job. I know a glass source the seems undismayed at producing an oddly shaped laminate of tempered glass and plastic, but only in flat sheets. Bent laminated safety glass would be very difficult. Probably, you would need to insert a joint where the bend occurs and make it up in flat pieces.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit Coetzee View Post
I apologise for the pmmc erratum. Yes, it should read PMMA.
I corrected the tags, but the error in the message body and heading is here to stay.

I hope somebody can direct me to a custom glassmaking to get a quote or something. I don't seem to search the Internet properly to be able to find one.
Okay, with the correct search words, I did find Custom Moulded Bend Glass manufacturers. I request quotes, by mere dimensions.
But they will get back to me requesting drawings I guess.

Anyone that may have the CAD Drawings or measurements and curvature of the ORANA 44 salon windows?
Old 12-10-2021, 13:56   #6

Boat: Currently boatless

Polycarbonate can be bent without heat but does tend to break down under UV after rive years.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 14:05   #7

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I have a lagoon 42tpi. The windows are fairly large and curve vertically and horizontally. We had a lot of trouble finding a supplier. Luckily we found Gustafson plastics in st augustine, Florida. They custom bent us new 1/2" acrylic windows using our old ones as molds.
The price was fair and the work was well done. I would recomend looking them up.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 14:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Pole View Post
Polycarbonate can be bent without heat but does tend to break down under UV after rive years.
Hmmm, five years sound correct and affirm my suspicion then. Boat is 2012 model. I had it now for 3 years and the plastic glass was shot already by then. The hatches are all creased over and they I might redo with PMMA or this plexiglass. Or if the price is right, maybe one should bite the bullet and do them in glass too.

But that might have to be with toughened glass, for people to be able to step on them.
(One-day I might buy a boat without hatches on the deck. The water leaking and privacy issues to be weighed against light and access advantages).
Old 12-10-2021, 14:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
I have a lagoon 42tpi. The windows are fairly large and curve vertically and horizontally. We had a lot of trouble finding a supplier. Luckily we found Gustafson plastics in st augustine, Florida. They custom bent us new 1/2" acrylic windows using our old ones as molds.
The price was fair and the work was well done. I would recomend looking them up.
Thank you!
Florida is close enough.
Here is a supplier or two in Puerto Rico too , plus Fountaine-Pajot told me they have an agent here too, who could supply me.

However, I wish to pursue the laminate or safety glass option first, and hope to get pro's and cons beforehand I make final decision.

The cost of real glass to be measured against redoing all the polycarbonates after 5 years, coupled with the years of coping with the creases frustration until one gets around to do it.

Tags
creased, laminate glass, PMMA