Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2009, 13:36   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Plumbing Fill for BOW Bladder Tank

Hi all;

I am considering a Vetus/Plastimo triangular shaped bladder tank, to be installed underneath the v-berth. I am interested in hearing from anyone that has done the same, and how they installed the fill? Does anyone fill these via hose from the INSIDE? This might be a reasonable approach, especially since this tank may be filled primarily by a watermaker. Thoughts?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 13:47   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Witzgall,
Rhosyn mor has all bladder tanks for potable water, they work fine. Our fill is the standard in deck one, there would be no reason why one could not fill them from inside, people do it all the time with hard tanks.As long as they are vented, there is no difference. Be sure to cushion them well to protect them from chafe, and have them tied in place so that they can expand and yet not move. We have two tanks on board, both plastimo, the bigger of the two is 15 years old and in perfect shape, the other is new.
Another suggestion, if I may, is to have a bladder tank in yer dinghy, when you need to refill the mother ship ( say in harbour when you cant use the watermaker) take the dink over to the dock, fill the bladder, and then with a small 12V pump , fill the big tanks ( works with fuel as well tho not in the same tank ) when yer done roll the bladder up.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 17:18   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Plastimo makes two versions of the triangle tank. One has both the fill and the supply on the same side, and the other, they are both on the same side. Advantages to one over the other?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 05:53   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I put a Plastimo bladder tank in my Coronado 25 into the space that is supposed to be a holder for the original bladder. I used a deck fill, though it is in the VBerth, not on deck. One issue, for me at least, is venting during filling. Using a hose you can overfill the tank quickly, even when it isn't full, so you have to be sure allow the air out from time to time.

Also because of the shape and how it sits I have to burp the bag to be able to get as much water into it as possible.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote