Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 00:53   #1
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

Can you please share your plastic cleaning and polishing methods?

I have the metal aspects of my fuel tank refurbishments sorted but I am unsure of the best practice for getting the 40 year old plastic fuel cap looking good.

Out of interest, the tank was stripped, sprayed with a high build 2 pack primer and then three coats of 2 pack poly topcoat. The inside was painted with Red-Kote tank liner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3285.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	170464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2901.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	170465  

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 10:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Plastic Polishing/Cleaning Tips Wanted...

I don’t think you can rejuvenate that old cap.
But you may want to look up aircraft windshield polishing, it may give you some ideas.
It’s essentially the same as polishing a hull, or paint.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 11:19   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I would just clean the cap and paint it black. Just me though.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 14:44   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Wottie,

Err, uh, how come you didn't match the paint color to that of the cap?

Ah, well, I agree with A64 that the color of the cap cannot be much improved, but, jewelers rouge can put a fine polish on it. Then it will be shiny, and stained. Or, you can use Meguiar's cleaner on it, followed by Meguiar's polish. Then, it will be shiny and stained. Sorry.

Cosmetically, possibly the best solution, imho, would be to repaint the tank itself, in a color to match, as I'm not sure you can get paint to stick to the cap. You could try painting the cap, and then, if it tries to come off, remove the remaining paint with citrus
stripper.

Ann
Old 25-05-2018, 14:58   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sometimes you can buy a new cap.
Old 25-05-2018, 15:19   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

Why the hell didn't you paint the cap with the same stuff?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 15:53   #7

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Can you please share your plastic cleaning and polishing methods?

I have the metal aspects of my fuel tank refurbishments sorted but I am unsure of the best practice for getting the 40 year old plastic fuel cap looking good.

Out of interest, the tank was stripped, sprayed with a high build 2 pack primer and then three coats of 2 pack poly topcoat. The inside was painted with Red-Kote tank liner.
Go on, leave it as it is, clearly indicating a renovation not a restoration.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 16:41   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sometimes you can buy a new cap.

Let me explain that, I wasn’t trying to be smart, but sometimes new old stock parts are available.
I’m surprised how many parts I can still buy for my 1946 airplane, and it’s weird parts. The most commonly used parts were sold out decades ago.
Old 25-05-2018, 17:18   #9
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

it would be a lot of work to restore the cap color. you would probably have to sand the cap surface down about a half millimeter or so to get past the weathered, decomposing surface and then polish it with a medium grit rouge on a muslin buffing wheel. it would be a two to three hour job and about $30 or so in supplies. and it wouldnt be perfect because the surface texture of the cap would prevent you from getting a 100% polish.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 18:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Let me explain that, I wasn’t trying to be smart, but sometimes new old stock parts are available.
I’m surprised how many parts I can still buy for my 1946 airplane, and it’s weird parts. The most commonly used parts were sold out decades ago.
Fair point, I will look into this as a possible option - although it goes against the grain buying new if old can be made reasonably good again .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-05-2018, 18:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, Wottie,

Err, uh, how come you didn't match the paint color to that of the cap?

Ah, well, I agree with A64 that the color of the cap cannot be much improved, but, jewelers rouge can put a fine polish on it. Then it will be shiny, and stained. Or, you can use Meguiar's cleaner on it, followed by Meguiar's polish. Then, it will be shiny and stained. Sorry.

Cosmetically, possibly the best solution, imho, would be to repaint the tank itself, in a color to match, as I'm not sure you can get paint to stick to the cap. You could try painting the cap, and then, if it tries to come off, remove the remaining paint with citrus
stripper.

Ann
Already had the paint leftover from another project (tractor repaint). I don't think the original Yanmar paint and cap was all that close anyway - although closer than mine .

Main reason for the thread is so I don't waste a shipload time trying things that don't work or cause further damage. I have found that someone on CF usually has the answer...

Painting the cap is not really an option as far as I can tell. I have yet to see any paint job successfully stick to an old plastic diesel and grime embedded object that has to be handled regularly. Although Ecos may know how to do it successfully.

I am not concerned about getting a close colour match, I just would like the cap to look cleaner etc.
Old 25-05-2018, 18:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
it would be a lot of work to restore the cap color. you would probably have to sand the cap surface down about a half millimeter or so to get past the weathered, decomposing surface and then polish it with a medium grit rouge on a muslin buffing wheel. it would be a two to three hour job and about $30 or so in supplies. and it wouldnt be perfect because the surface texture of the cap would prevent you from getting a 100% polish.
Thanks, I will further into this method. I not trying to achieve perfection, just improvement.
Old 25-05-2018, 18:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Go on, leave it as it is, clearly indicating a renovation not a restoration.
Well patina is important
Old 25-05-2018, 18:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Why the hell didn't you paint the cap with the same stuff?
Help me out here, what is your method of getting a 2 pack paint to successfully adhere to a somewhat flexible well used dirty (diesel etc) old piece of plastic and be tough enough to cope with daily handling and the bumps and knocks of general use?
Old 25-05-2018, 18:29   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What is this thing anyway? Stationary engine?

Tags
cleaning, wanted