Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2010, 14:50   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I will triple that suggestion to build mock-ups. I did that to build a pilot house using pine 2x2's; 1.25" PVC pipe; and 1/8" plywood for skin. Building each piece and assembling it with sheetrock screws. I could then back away from the boat and look at the angles and relationships of the various components, sawing away a little here or adding a little there to make the whole unit look good and function as to headroom and other factors.
- - But for any cabin design, I strongly suggest incorporating into the design access to sidewalls where plumbing; electrical and other functional parts of the boat are located. Don't put a settee so that you cannot get to a critical mechanical/electrical or other part for service without totally removing the settee.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 15:05   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I will triple that suggestion to build mock-ups. I did that to build a pilot house using pine 2x2's; 1.25" PVC pipe; and 1/8" plywood for skin. Building each piece and assembling it with sheetrock screws. I could then back away from the boat and look at the angles and relationships of the various components, sawing away a little here or adding a little there to make the whole unit look good and function as to headroom and other factors.
- - But for any cabin design, I strongly suggest incorporating into the design access to sidewalls where plumbing; electrical and other functional parts of the boat are located. Don't put a settee so that you cannot get to a critical mechanical/electrical or other part for service without totally removing the settee.
100% ditto.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 05:00   #18

Boat: Building 30' Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
--- and paint it the colors on your graph-paper. A "pad" right out of the 60's--without the LSD. (Sorry-too many Jose's)

I can call her "The 60's Haze"

"All things are possible, once you overcome your fears."
Messman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 05:05   #19

Boat: Building 30' Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Thanks for the idea. I am planning on this. After looking at several boats for sale I noticed that getting to their mechanicals was a real pain in the asstrex. So I plan on keeping things, as much as possable, with easy access in mind.

"All things are possible, once you overcome your fears."
Messman is offline   Reply With Quote