Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2010, 20:11   #1

Boat: Shell Swifty 14, & 24' Culler / Bolger cat ketch sharpie
Pettit Easypoxy, or Interlux Brightside ?

Okay, folks, from what I see, Pettit Easypoxy and Interlux Brightside are very similar, hard one-part polyurethane finishes. My choice is between the two. So far, technically, to me, they seem to be very similar systems, requiring very similar processes. Is one better over another?

Okay, there's a lot of info below.
But, I'm an engineer by day, and all I can say is, it happens.....

My data:

First, my current trailer-sailor, a 14' Shell Swifty, was painted with both. Entirely with nothing but both. This is it's 7th summer with me. It's been in for about 100 drinks. That's 100 launchings, 100 retrievals, some video-funnies worthy! It's garage-kept. I cannot tell any significant wear on any finish, and I have no idea which is which, as I bought it this way. Looked brand new then. Looks damned good used now.

Next, current project: 24' Culler Sharptown Barge, cat-ketch rigged, with leeboards. Bought off an estate, half-way through refinish and improvements.

I plan to use the paint in question on the deck and the open-back cuddy, and probably the hull freeboard. Hull includes leeboards, rudder, etc. Also, possibly interior spaces, not convinced which way to go on them yet.

Color-wise, each will require me to mix 1 qt off-white with 1 qt white for the deck, and 1 qt straight off-white for the cabin. (In Brightside, I prefer the Hatteras off-white, Easypoxy has an equivalent.) Sheer and above or inward, I plan satin or flat. Also, freeboard will be plain white, and below LWL will be that of dark green.

I want to use a high-fill sandable primer. There are a few sins I'd like to hide. The cuddy is unfinished epoxy, unless you count a well-sanded layer of epoxy-microbead mix as a non-epoxy base coat. The remainder of the deck looks like either flat off-white or a primer. (The guy who knows is dead, so I don't know any more.) Also, application is planned to be roller with tipping. Yes, I have an airgun and compressor. I don't believe it will be easier or significantly better a finish using the airgun.

As I understand it, both brands will require me to use a special epoxy primer on naked epoxy surface. So, if I look at both taking a 2-part primer, 2 or so coats, and 2 to 3 top coats of a mix, or 2 to 3 coats of the white, and both requiring an additive to cut the sheen to satin, is there any preference between brands? If so, why?

And if I don't quit hitting the "preview" button, I will never get this posted, so...

What say you?
bassman1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 20:40   #2

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Flip a coin, paint the boat. go sailing. drink rum. <G>
Old 13-09-2010, 21:15   #3

I feel Easypoxy is easier to brush, but Interlux can end up prettier. Very similar though.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 14:37   #4

Well, this certainly looks like a draw.
Guess it comes down to price vs availability.
Old 14-09-2010, 15:30   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco
I don't like the Interlux. I do like the Easypoxy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 18:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
I don't like the Interlux. I do like the Easypoxy
Why's that?
What are the pros and cons?
Old 15-09-2010, 03:58   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco
Bright side was a replacement for Interlux Monopoxy when it was banned in LA back in the early 90s. I tried it and it didn't cover the same ,or flow as nicely. I switched to the Petit Easypoxy and have been happy with it's performance. I have used some Brightside occasionally and have not seen a reason to change. Paint systems are something that you become familiar and comfortable with, this allows for better more consistent results. So I didn't really say that Easypoxy is better than Brightside I said I like Easypoxy and don't like Brightside.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 04:40   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Ain't that the truth... Some paint systems are a complete PITA to apply, even though they are a good product.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 20:04   #9
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
Easypoxy has good flow properties and self levels well. It seems to take longer then most modified alkyds to cure, but it cures fairly hard (eventually). It has good intial gloss, but gloss retention is the biggest issue I have with it, which seems to go away quickly. It chalks up in other words, though it can be buffed if you have enough film thickness to tolerate this abuse.

Brightsides is a slightly less modified alkyd, but still flows well and has good gloss. Unlike Easypoxy, Brightsides has good gloss retention and also can be buffed. It's not quite as hard as Easypoxy, but this is a marginal thing. I've found Brightsides cures faster too.

Both paints stick well, both can be problematic over certain paints, so use a primer if not sure what you're painting over.

I prefer Brightsides, because of it's gloss retention and slightly more flexibility, which seems to work better on un-encapsulated wood.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 20:23   #10

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
To Paint or not to Pain that is the Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Ain't that the truth... Some paint systems are a complete PITA to apply, even though they are a good product.
I hired a pro and then got down in there and tried to learn (not well appreciated). Both are good, Idora has Easypoxy on horizontal surfaces and Interlux on vertical. The Interlux is brilliant and the Easypoxy went on heavier to wear better. The Interlux when thinned has a delicate elastic quality and the Easypoxy is not strechable. Both required good brushes and skill to apply. Prepare the surface twice as much as you want to (pita) and clean with gobs of alchohol before painting (bunches). It's got to be dry and CLEAN. THIN CORRECTLY AND WATCH YOUR POT AND KEEP IT RIGHT AS YOU GO. PLAN YOUR ROUTE AND DONT LEAVE A WET EDGE. ROLL AND TIP IF YOU HAVE ROOM, DON'T STOP. Have fun, you won't likely get a job like the snake can do but it will still look good.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Interlux