Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2014, 07:19   #16

Boat: Vivacity 24 - 24ft
Re: Peterson 33 Keel

Yes the fiberglass has only tiny 'indicator' holes for where the keel, mast, etc need to be placed/ fitted.

I have invested in a small air-con unit just to keep the inside cool while I work (temperatures are between 32 and 38 degrees (Celsius - 90 - 101 Fahrenheit) in the shade right now.

The interior is HUGE but I suppose it would look so when it has nothing.

I am scouring the net for pictures and ideas for an interior layout - I suppose this rather depends on what we want to use the boat for.

Andorette and I are dreaming of doing a little cruising - perhaps Seychelles or Mauritius (We must note to avoid reefs and pay closer attention to chart-plotter)

This kind of means - Navigation, Galley, Bunks, Heads, Fresh water and food storage

Any ideas on pros and cons of tiller vs wheel?

Forward 'V' berth never seemed a good arrangement to me - Perhaps to move the berth aft and free up bow space for sails, anchor?

This would then mean I would need to move the head aft of the mast - what about just to one side of the companion-way opposite the Nav station?

Those of you with all the experience - list the top 3 things you would have/ change in your saloon layout if you had a blank canvas?

What about materials? Composite material? Wood - If wood what species? I was thinking Teak/ Yellow wood but yellow wood tends to crack and split. Rhodesian teak on its own sounds great but somewhat dark.

How about access to services (plumping, wiring, etc?) Any clever tricks?
audiovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 18:52   #17

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Gosh that's a pretty vessel, I can see why you want to project her.
She'll be brand new and a custom interior too.
Good luck, and give yourself a break or two now and then.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 18:57   #18

Galley with a u shape is good, and a pass through opening to serve food to the salon area.
This boat will heel a bit so it's good to have some stable area to cook as that one of the greatest activities you'll be doing.

Old 23-12-2014, 19:05   #19

You might look at this.
Very similar design.
Ballast weight, interior layout.
Rigging specs.
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1652

Old 24-12-2014, 05:10   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovis View Post
Yes the fiberglass has only tiny 'indicator' holes for where the keel, mast, etc need to be placed/ fitted.

I have invested in a small air-con unit just to keep the inside cool while I work (temperatures are between 32 and 38 degrees (Celsius - 90 - 101 Fahrenheit) in the shade right now.

The interior is HUGE but I suppose it would look so when it has nothing.
Oh man is it going to fill up fast... Don't worry...

I am scouring the net for pictures and ideas for an interior layout - I suppose this rather depends on what we want to use the boat for.

Andorette and I are dreaming of doing a little cruising - perhaps Seychelles or Mauritius (We must note to avoid reefs and pay closer attention to chart-plotter)

This kind of means - Navigation, Galley, Bunks, Heads, Fresh water and food storage

Any ideas on pros and cons of tiller vs wheel?

How does the aft rudder location look? Holes, marks, reinforcement pads??? 33 is still quite manageable with a tiller and will get you sailing faster and CHEAPER! You can always add a helm later without going backwards too much...

Forward 'V' berth never seemed a good arrangement to me - Perhaps to move the berth aft and free up bow space for sails, anchor?

It works out best for coastal cruising, privacy, space utilization... But an aft berth is far more comfortable, closer to the action in an emergency... BUT Will be noisier with engine and watch though... So you have your tradeoffs...

This would then mean I would need to move the head aft of the mast - what about just to one side of the companion-way opposite the Nav station?

Those of you with all the experience - list the top 3 things you would have/ change in your saloon layout if you had a blank canvas?

What about materials? Composite material? Wood - If wood what species? I was thinking Teak/ Yellow wood but yellow wood tends to crack and split. Rhodesian teak on its own sounds great but somewhat dark.

How about access to services (plumping, wiring, etc?) Any clever tricks?
You now have the chance to make wire/plumbing runs... Some dedicated channels would be awesome...
I suggest getting her sailing with very minimal "bare bones" interior work...

What kind of budget do we have??? I mean are you going to be able to have a keel poured (10k???), or is this likely a task you need to do???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 13:54   #21

Budget is about US$20.000 over a period of one year
I will be hetting someone with experience to do the keel but I still have no budget on that since I still have no real design detail

Any thoughts on using induction plates vs gas? Is there a "marinised" version available?

I have two motors Volvo Penta 2cyl 21 hp (circa 2002) and a marinised VW Passat diesel - 2009. Both have sail-drives and both run well although the Volvo is much older - any ideas which i should choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-12-2014, 15:21   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The VW engine is way too much hp for the boat. Volvo had an engine that was rumored to be not overly reliable around the turn of the century, would want to be sure it's not one of those if you go that route. Not overly fond of sail drives. Awfull big hole to fill should something go wrong with the seal.

Go tiller. Even if you buy used, a wheel is going to cost way more both in cost and installation hassles. As far as sailing enjoyment, a tiller is the only way. Tiller will also work way better with a Pendulum Servo Self Steering Vane and, once again, way cheaper to rig.

Get hold of Peterson's design office. Should be able to google it. They will have the prints for the keel they designed for the boat. Might even be worthwhile to have a NA design you one of those new fangled high aspect ratio bulb keels if you want to be on the performance cutting edge.

An aft head is nice to use as a wet locker for foulies. It will wipe out below decks access to the space under the cockpit seats and or negate a quarter berth. A quarter berth/chart table arrangement is a nice sea berth and area to hang out below where you can put all your electronics like HF radio, computer, etc there.

Like a U shaped galley as on the Westsail 32. Lived aboard and cruised with that galley design and it was ideal for a boat of that size. Vee berth or Pullman Berth are great places to sleep in the tropics. Good air ventilation through the forward hatch especially with a wind scoop. Virtually useless on a passage except for storage but then passages will be a minimal amount of your cruising time.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 05:27   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

MarsKeel (Marswell Metal Industries Ltd.) has been supplying custom and production keels to just about every builder in North America over the last 35 years.

Contact MarsKeel:
4140 Morris Dr., BURLINGTON, Ontario, L7L 5L6
North America: 1-800-381-5335
MarsKeel Technology | The Global Leader in Keel Technology

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 05:48   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Just a thought.....

If I were in the position you were... I would be seriously considering making my own keel out of a frame and encapsulated "anything heavy" ... Both traditionally through bolted and laminated to the hull...

There are a myriad of disadvantages of encapsulated keels, but a project like this seems like something "I could" pull off well, and reduce the encapsulated blues ...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 16:57   #25

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Nice find!!

Are you shure the volvo engine is 21 hp and model year is about 2002?
Could it be a 1983-1993 volvo penta MD2002?
Both 20hp volvo/perkins/shibaura engines are 3 cylinders.(volvo MD2020/perkins perma 20, year 1992-2005 and volvo D1-20/some perkins model, year 2006-present )
The MD2020 has bad reputation,and the MD2002 is getting harder to get parts for.(or so im told.. still no problem here in Sweeden/Norway) MD2002 is a genuine, sweedish made engine, and parts prices are insane. still, one of my sailing buddies has one in a hallberg-rassy p-28, and it has been a solid, problem-free engine. get a compression test and good mechanic's opinion on the engine's soundness, before you install it.

More photos!!
Deck layout,cocpit,inside..
It looks like a sweedish 80's design, it might have sister-models here scandinaia.

Wood..Wich hardwood do you have locally? Gabon Occume would be sweet..
Im redoing much of the interior in my boat this winter, probably using Occume plywood sealed with epoxy+ teak details.

Is the mast deck-stepped or keel-stepped? If deck-stepped, the boat most likely requires a structural bulkhead, a reinforced wall across the boat right under the mast.

Keel.. Are there any sailboat boneyards close..you might find something you could modify..But I guess you need an naval architect or at least more data to know what to look for..

Please make this a complete build thread. There is wast amount of knowledge in a lot of people here.

.manitu
Old 25-12-2014, 17:56   #26

Ohh, its designed by the designer of the contessa!
Basically a winning 70's IOR design.
The peterson 33 shares moulds with the Contention 33, Chaser 33, US 33-1,maybe others.

Keel varies from 1900 to 2200kg and 47-52% ballast ratio.

I would guess you could find a used one that works.

Oh, original engine was 13-16hp, so 20hp would be about right by todays standards..

.manitu
Old 25-12-2014, 18:06   #27

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
Ohh, its designed by the designer of the contessa!

.manitu
Correction. the Contessa was designed by David Sadler and is not a Peterson design let alone an IOR boat. the Contessa is basically a modernized folkboat!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 18:16   #28

Sorry, my bad.Doug peterson designed contessa 28' and 35' but not the legendary 32'.
And despite my bad english, peterson 33 is a ior design, never ment to say the contessa was one.

.manitu

Old 25-12-2014, 23:15   #29

The motor is a Volvo Penta MD11C serial no 51739Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1419578115.547888.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	94308

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-12-2014, 23:21   #30

I have pretty well complete freedom choosing what wood bit rhodesian teak is freely available
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1419578402.001886.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	94309
Or french oak
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1419578431.352150.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	94310or RosewoodClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1419578457.685549.jpg