Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2009, 11:40   #1
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Perkins 4.108 cooling system maintenance

Ok started engine today and temp went too hot. After cleaning strainer and noting low coolant level, I topped it off and added cup of dish soap to help locate source of egress. Got bubbles out of exhaust so heat exchanger is coming out this afternoon. Question is, is there any reason not to use automotive flush kit to backflush cooling system? Use commercial flushes or muriatic acid solution? Last year when I cleaned out Exchanger freshwater side was dirtier than salt side. I occasionally dump detergent and/or bleach in strainer to clean salt side. Thanks for any insights.
Steve
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 19:14   #2

Boat: KP 44
perkins cooling system

Once a season I pull the intake hose off my strainer and stick it in a 5 gallon bucket with a garden hose. I run the engine for 10-15 minutes then sut of the hose. When the water level gets low I dump in 2 gallons of vinager. When that gets sucked up I shut down the engine. After an over night soak I crank up the beast using fresh water in the bucket again for a few minutes.
We do this at the end of each seasons cruising in Mexico where the water is kinda warm. Never (knock on teak) had an overheating problem.
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 19:06   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Zincs in heat exchanger

Found out heat exchanger is shot. There was red area around salt intake and tube feeding salt. Obvious electrolytic corrosion. Found posts online that said everything from 4 pencil zincs in cooling system others said none. One plug in old heat exchanger looked like could have been zinc. After checking Perkins marine diesel shop manual, shop manual and boats manual still no mention of zincs. The aftermarket exchanger was made by champ and is copper, manual says original was aluminum. Well zinc or no zinc that's the question. New one ordered from inet boatsman marine. Will be curious to see if zinc is installed.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, perkins, perkins 4.108