Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 10:10   #1

Boat: Freedom 30
Periodic thru hull replacement

I own a Freedom 30 built 1986.

I am wondering what the general consensus is regarding through hull replacement. Freedom Yachts used bronze thru hulls (plastic for transducers) and the last time we were out of the water I did a visual and tapping inspection - admittedly not a professional - with no obvious weaknesses found. That was about 18 months ago.

The boat is 34 years old now, I have owned her for 22 years of that and she has been in fresh water for the duration of my ownership, although she has been in salt for a total of six months or so during this time (I live on a river and cruise in SF Bay and the Pacific).

I have the following:

Raw water intake
grey water drain
head water intake - unused with seacock plugged
black water drain - unused with seacock plugged
two transducer through hulls - depth, speed

I use a sort of hybrid composting toilet set up, thus the plugs on the two waste related thru hulls which I may permanently seal next time I am out of the water. This is my lifetime boat so resale value is not a concern for me.

I exercise the seacocks regularly including those plugged and they all operate just fine.

So... should I leave well enough alone or should I think about proactive replacement, get some sort of professional assessment or??

I plan to haul out in about six months. Appreciate any feedback.
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:50   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Periodic thru hull replacement

Assuming adequate anodes, there is no reason you should not continue to do good maintenace off into the sunset. If you are concerned about corrosion, or do not take the boat out regularly for an inspection, get yourself a silver test anode and see that your anodes are doing their job:

https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html

Really, your post leaves the impression that you are doing a very good job of it.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:57   #3

Boat: Freedom 30
Re: Periodic thru hull replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Assuming adequate anodes, there is no reason you should not continue to do good maintenace off into the sunset. If you are concerned about corrosion, or do not take the boat out regularly for an inspection, get yourself a silver test anode and see that your anodes are doing their job:

https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html

Really, your post leaves the impression that you are doing a very good job of it.
Thanks for feedback. Very interesting on the corrosion reference anode (site calls it electrode to be precise). That would be a nice device to have. Not a trivial expense, but loosing a thru hull could be catastrophic. Given I spend $300 per year on insurance which will not cover consequential damage (like most policies), this could be a very reasonable investment. Also, I imagine many of my sailing colleagues would be interested in performing a test on their boats, esp since most of them spend full time in salt.
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, men, thru hull