Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2018, 14:07   #1

Boat: Santana 37
Pedestal Problem / transmission linkage

My transmission has become hard to get into reverse, so I had the transmission mechanic out and he showed me where the linkage was not aligned properly when I had the engine rebuilt and it is bent and needs to be replaced.

Now my challenge. The transmission guy (from years of experience) won't work on pedestals. He showed me what to do to take the pedestal apart, but the machine screws (stainless) are seized to the aluminum.

I've tried penetrating oil and heat, along with an impact driver, and still no luck.

Any other suggestions on how to get them screws un-seized so I can replace the linkage?
sailscubasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 14:41   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Pedestal Problem / transmission linkage

Judicious use of a breaker bar and a bit which precisely fits the screws did it for me. Initially one sharp rap with a hammer on the top of the fastenings can do the trick to get them started, then be very cautious with the breaker bar/bit.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 16:00   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I would have tackled the problem the way Jim suggests but doing a little research I came up with this.

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 16:26   #4

Thanks for the suggestions.

The screw extractor won't work in my case because the lip of the pedestal that seats the compass won't allow me to get a straight shot at the screws.

Can you give me more detail about the breaker bar / bit combination?
Old 24-12-2018, 17:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailscubasurf View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

The screw extractor won't work in my case because the lip of the pedestal that seats the compass won't allow me to get a straight shot at the screws.

Can you give me more detail about the breaker bar / bit combination?
I think what Jim refers to as a "Breaker Bar"is what we call a "Impact Screwdriver". As you hit the driver with a hammer the bit which is inserted into the screw gets turned a fraction". You can see a picture here. It is available at Home Depot for about $14. BUT I don't think it will work in your case as you can't get a direct drive.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-3...2905/205674679

Actually I just googled "Breaker Bar" and it is not the same.

https://sydneytools.com.au/category/...s/breaker-bars

Clive
Old 24-12-2018, 17:09   #6

Maybe someone here knows how to do it?

Seized stainless screw into aluminium [Archive] - Yachting and ...

www.ybw.com › ... › Forum › Practical
Boat Owner's Reader to Reader
Mar 2, 2012 - 31 posts - ‎27 authors
The offending part is held on by 4 screws, 3 of which came out albeit reluctantly. ... The aluminium expands more than the stainless steel but with a small ... I've seen was a screw on my dads boat we spent two weeks removing. ... FWIW I recently removed my compass from the pedestal to check on the ...
Removing a SS bolt from Aluminium 16 posts 22 Feb 2014
Advice on freeing stainless steel bolt from aluminium 25 posts 18 Jul 2013
Removing stainless steel bolts from aluminium? 27 posts 2 Mar 2006
More results from www.ybw.com

Removing Pedestal Screws - Lessons Learned | SailboatOwners.com Forums

https://forums.sailboatowners.com ›
Forums for All Owners › Ask All Sailors
May 28, 2013 - Steering system is a classic Edson pedestal with a Ritchie compass. Compass ... With a very large screwdriver I was finally able to get one screw to break loose and removed it. .... Edson and Merriman were quite similar for the period of our boats' construction. .... SS screws/bolts into aluminum can be nasty
.Edson steering pedestal & wheel pilot 21 Aug 2017
How to undo seized stainless screws? 29 Dec 2002

More results from forums.sailboatowners.com

Thread: Remove stuck pedestal post. Help? - BBC Boards

www.bbcboards.net › BBC Boards › General
Forums › General Bassboat Topics
Jan 24, 2015 - It stuck once before and I took it to a boat shop about 3 weeks ago ... those standard seat pedestals (non-threaded) that fits into a stainless steel .
Old 24-12-2018, 17:09   #7

I've tried the impact screwdriver and can't get them to budge.
Old 24-12-2018, 17:27   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I think what Jim refers to as a "Breaker Bar"is what we call a "Impact Screwdriver". As you hit the driver with a hammer the bit which is inserted into the screw gets turned a fraction". You can see a picture here. It is available at Home Depot for about $14. BUT I don't think it will work in your case as you can't get a direct drive.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-3...2905/205674679

Actually I just googled "Breaker Bar" and it is not the same.

[URL]https://sydneytools.com.au/category/hand-tools/breaker-bars[/URL

Clive
This is a breaker bar. Just get a bit that fits your fasteners which is the same drive size as the bar you use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD535C4D-AB53-4E3F-A68D-CEC9717EAF95.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	182732  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 09:01   #9

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I have a small 12V right angle drill from Milwaukie. Comes in handy for so many things. Can you drill the head out?
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 09:48   #10

More heat: It takes beaucoup btus to get the aluminum to expand . Helpful to have someone to help, as the aluminum cools really quickly.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 11:08   #11

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Just stop adding heat when the aluminum starts to melt.
Old 25-12-2018, 13:47   #12

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Use a tubular drill and drill out the entire screw. Tap a thread in the aluminium pedestal, and insert a stainless steel helicoil, then into that helicoil screw thread STAINLESS STEEL THREADED ROD AS STUDS. When you put in thge studs, use permanent Locktite stud cement on the threads. Instead of using threaded rod, some can reach into the poedestal and slide a bolt through screwing it into the helicoil from inside the pedestal. If you can do this, it is a slightly better option, but studs are fine and CHEAPER,

Place the cover, which should already be drilled to the size of the threaded studs by the tubular drill you used to drill out the screws, over the pedestal and using washers and nuts, tighten down the cover on its gasket if any, which may also have to be modified to fit over the studs..

Using a fine cutting wheel and a grinder or a Dremel tool. remove the nuts and washers one at a time and cut each stainless steel stud so that they are flush with the tops of the nuts plus washers. Some do it with the nuts in place, but I prefer to remove them, and bevel slightly the top of the studs, then replace the nuts.. It makes it easier to thread on a nut.

When you have done this to all of them, one at a time remove the nuts and washers you replaced after trimming the studs, and spray a little Hylomar on the alloy, the washer, and the thread. This time replace the nut with a stainless steel DOMED nut. Domed nuts do nut damage clothing or skin. and do not allow water to reach threads if seated in Hylomar.

Make sure the panel is also sealed with a gasket, rubber bedding compound or O-Ring rubber.

The pedestal should now be completely waterproof, entirely insulated, and you will have no further problems. If you need to re-enter it, spray a little Hylomar on the metal before re-assembling it. Wipe off excess before it sets.

Hylomar, like Ferropre, and Blu-Tak is something that ought to be aboard all vessels.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 11:08   #13

The ongoing saga of my pedestal problem:

I have done the following:
1. Impact driver - because of angle, driver slips out of screw slot.
2. Breaker bar - same as impact driver.
3. Drilled hole in lip of pedestal, used large flathead screwdriver and vice grips. Slot in screw damaged, screwdriver slips out of slot.

I've also used liberal amounts of penetrating oil and a heat gun, still no luck.

I've also tried to get a dremel tool in to cut off heads of screws so I can pull top off and then extract the screw... angle won't allow me to get dremel tool in to cut it off.

I'm now at a loss.

Any suggestions??? I'm desperate!!!!
Old 18-01-2019, 11:40   #14

Can you use a long 3/8" extension between the impact driver and the screwdriver bit to get a better/straighter angle on the screw?

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pedestal, transmission