Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 17:37   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988
Pedestal Maintenance 101

I have an Edson Pedestal (Yanmar engine) that has a stiff throttle control lever. After consulting You Tube and reading a bit, I am certain it is due for maintenance. Being newer to boat "repair" and enjoying the learning I curve feel like it is something I can take on, am I being foolish?

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 17:58   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Pedestal Maintenance 101

That’s a very attainable goal. Before you tear things apart too far I’d suggest disconnecting the throttle cable at both ends, then trying the pedestal lever without cable connected, the throttle arm on the engine, and pushing/pulling the cable directly.

That should allow you to figure out where in the linkage the stiffness is happening.

At the pedestal could be a build up of greasy dirt (or dirty grease), or some corrosion on the bearing surfaces (those are the two most likely in my experience). If it’s in the cable I’d guess replacement, although there are a few conditions where maintenance/repair might help. The engine throttle arm depends on the exact engine.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 18:04   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Pedestal Maintenance 101

Not foolish at all. The issue might not be within the pedestal but the control cables. Put a towel in a box under to catch little parts. Try not to strip any threads...heat and more heat and PB Blaster. The parts are available. Tef-Gel any dissimilar metals. Take your time and post photos if you run into a problem.
The manatees give you a perfect 10 for the name of your vessel.
Happy trails to you.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, pedestal