Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2014, 13:25   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
Painting an aluminium rib /anti slip

I have boat a small aluminium rib as a tender, the hull is bare aluminium, i would like to paint the internal hull and add some sort of anti slip to the deck, any ideas how to do? what products to use?

Looking for as long a life span as possible as it will sit in davits exposed to the elements.

cheers

Steven

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 13:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Painting an aluminium rib /anti slip

Being as airplane guy, I'd use what we call "wing walk" it's an anti-slip paint that is painted on the portion of the wing you walk on. Even when it is old, acetone removes it all easily so you can put more on without building layers.
Of course airplane wings are aluminum. I can't find out a brand name until I get back at work on the 5th, but I feel pretty sure this stuff is not airplane specific stuff, feel real sure you can buy it at any home improvement store.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 21:44   #3

I like crushed walnut on aluminum. Prime the aluminum, coat of what ever paint your using, sprinkle crushed walnut, roll on paint, sprinkle crushed walnut, roll on paint- you get the idea. Crushed walnut is superior to any other non skid product I've used, but it can be very hard on bare knuckles and knees.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 02:03   #4

Boat: Kaufman 47

What about treadmaster panels? Easy to apply, doesn't hurt AL, and can be removed/replaced whenever....

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 12:54   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
What about treadmaster panels? Easy to apply, doesn't hurt AL, and can be removed/replaced whenever....

- Ronnie...on the geaux

I strongly dislike TM for most uses, but for this I think it's the right answer. The reason being that any painted coating will eventually fail on an alu RIB, but if you leave it bare metal and just bond on TM panels where needed, the boat will have much lower maintenance. The panels can be replaced as needed, and would make a RIB more comfortable as they are a little soft/rubbery. Less scraped knees and the like. Easy DIY too. Just not cheap.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 14:22   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stevensuf,

I trust minaret's advice to be the high class answer.

However, there may be a simpler, less expensive way to deal with this. Friends use the product for the non-skid on their circumnavigation sailboat. It is water based, called acrylmeric sportcote. We used it on our decks, as well, in full time cruising use, and find it to be excellent non-skid. (It was so aggressive, I actually sanded it a bit smoother on our sugar scoop transom where I sit in my swimsuit to put on my swim fins.)

It cost us ~!80 AUD for 15 liters, which would do our 46 foot boat twice, with some left over for touchup.

Its common usage is for non-slip surfaces in showers, and other commercial applications.

I hope you can find some. It does have a down side: It's not too easy to keep really clean. I think the light tan might not show stains as badly as our white does.

Ann
Old 13-01-2015, 20:37   #7

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Painting an aluminium rib /anti slip

IntergripI agree with Minaret. Although TM is pricy, you are not talking about much area.
Aluminum does not like paint. It takes careful application to do it right.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
I did a deck of an aluminum boat not long ago. Used Interlux Brightside, one part, with Intergrip mixed in. Cheap and long lasting.
I would not mind walnut shells but buying crushed shells is not as easy as buying the can of Intergrip. And crushing the shells myself seemed like too much work.
Old 14-01-2015, 03:58   #8

Boat: Kaufman 47

If I were in Port and not on the ship Internet, id look but I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives to Treadmaster online. They don't exclusive rights to pva foam, I would imagine.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 11:23   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re:Treadmaster alternative

SeaDek Marine Products - Swim Platform Pads

looks like you can cut out yourself
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, rib