Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 09:34   #1

Boat: Spirit 6.5
Question Paint roller marks

I am currently restoring a Hake Seward 25. I prepped and sanded the upper hull prior to painting following all of the methods I watched on various videos. I applied two coats of primer sanding after each. I am using foam rollers. I would like to spray but the boat is in the yard next to the house and I don’t think I can contain the overspray. The rollers do a very good job it’s very smooth but I still see what they referred to as holiday marks or roller marks. They are faint and are not noticeable if you’re looking straight on to the hull. Any idea on how to reduce these or make them not as noticeable?
SanSimeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:41   #2

Re: Paint roller marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSimeon View Post
I am currently restoring a Hake Seward 25. I prepped and sanded the upper hull prior to painting following all of the methods I watched on various videos. I applied two coats of primer sanding after each. I am using foam rollers. I would like to spray but the boat is in the yard next to the house and I don’t think I can contain the overspray. The rollers do a very good job it’s very smooth but I still see what they referred to as holiday marks or roller marks. They are faint and are not noticeable if you’re looking straight on to the hull. Any idea on how to reduce these or make them not as noticeable?
I would try a finer roller pad and try not to roll the paint out to thin. If you are getting noticible marks from 8 ft away from the surface you have to course of a roller pad.In my humble opinion
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:58   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The finest roller pad is a spray gun. The least overspray is from a HVLP spray gun. The characteristics of the paint, that is how well it spreads when applied rather than retaining brush/roller marks, is important to the whole thing.

Consider investment in a very large very cheap blue tarp, rigged on the downwind side on a day on which it is difficult to determine the downwind side.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:09   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Do smaller sections and run over your rolled paint with a wide foam brush keeping the strokes the same orientation. Don’t wait too long to do this or you’ll end up with brush marks. If you can, get someone following right behind you. You’ll see the brush marks initially but the paint will flatten out before it dries.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Roll and Tip method..Roll on than follow-up lightly tip with a paint brush across the roll direction
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:33   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Roll and Tip method..Roll on than follow-up lightly tip with a paint brush across the roll direction
This is the answer. Roll and tip method.

Pictures from 2015 first attempt. I couldn't find the close ups

Buy a high priced paint brush for tipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol 27 paint.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	204526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol 27 with CQR.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	204527  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:06   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSimeon View Post
Primed and sanded with 320 grit? Cleaned up thoroughly?
What kind of paint are you using? Brand, mix ratio, reducer, etc.

Paint a small area to tip and keep a wet edge, but usually roller or bush marks indicate the paint is drying before having time to level. If the temp is too hot (both ambient and substrate) for the max reducer rating, pick another time. Otherwise keep on adding reducer until you can "feel" the paint is behaving.. or leveling.
The use of a good disposable foam brush for tipping is perfectly viable - I use them exclusively, have many of them to discard and replace as they become saturated.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint