Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 07:34   #1

Boat: O'day32 CC
Paint removing !? HELP

Hello sailing community !!

My name is Nathaniel , 25 , first post on a forum and new here , so i hope i'll be doing this right !

My friend and i just bought a little sailboat , sandpiper 565 in canada for the summer.. Our main boat is in Maryland but due to covid we have to fly back home..

Anyway here's the thing, the PO did something to the , otherwise , nice boat…

He added Big, painted, strips on the windows ( see picture ) and i'd really like to remove it but im not sure the best strategy here , if its even possible without damaging the plexi .. Any idea ?
Nate95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 07:38   #2

Re: Paint removing !? HELP

Sorry the first attempt to add a file didnt work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sandpipier.jpeg.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	216208  
Old 30-05-2020, 09:11   #3

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Hi Nathaniel, looks like a fun boat.

It looks like there is a owners' group at Sandpiper565.com Home Page
Do you know if it is spray paint, house paint, boat paint?
I'd be tempted by pressure washing, duct tape, or rubbing alcohol...but I have never had to do this exact repair. I would not use anything harsher unless you know how the plexi will react to it.

I'd also price replacements before messing around in case they cost less than the time needed to clean these old ones up right.
Old 30-05-2020, 10:05   #4

Yes look like it ! Probably put her in the water next weekend

Part of me hope that its regular paint but it might be boat since it's the same one from the hull.. but i can't tell / know how to.

It's really not a problem , it's just ugly and badly done. So if I can remove it easily with some elbow grease and minimal investment I would be very happy but can live with it too !

Can you explain the duck tape ? Im curious

Cheers
Old 30-05-2020, 11:49   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

If it is a sticker, you will peel it off with some help from alcohol.

Now if it is paint ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 11:54   #6

Definitely paint unfortunately ,.
It does look like it could be a sticker on the picture but, up close you clearly see the brush stroke/drip
Old 30-05-2020, 12:02   #7

I think what I might do is use some sort of thinner/solvent to remove paint on the plexi glass AND once removed
( hopefully) put some sort of of tinted film like they use on car window.

1) would hide the damage done ( apparently solvent will blurr plexus )

2) will reflect sun light and give it a look ��

What do you guys think

P.s I feel necessary to mention that I'm french Canadian and that my English is not always on point ! Sorry if I can be hard to read from time to time
Old 30-05-2020, 12:11   #8

Some chemicals will damage the windows. Paint thinner may not but it will likely not effect the dry paint much. Acetone, lacquer thinner etc definitely will.
I'm not sure if "Goof off" paint remover will effect the plastic or not. may not.
Try the Goof Off on the fiberglass though. The problem is, the paint probably will have gone into the gel coat because it can be pretty porous... you may end up with light blue staining even with the paint removed.

Another thought is a heat gun and see how well the paint is actually bonded to the window. That Plexi takes heat pretty well up to a point. There's actually a process called "flame polishing" where you make the edge of the Plexi look shiny like glass by quickly applying flame.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 20:09   #9

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate95 View Post
Yes look like it ! Probably put her in the water next weekend

Part of me hope that its regular paint but it might be boat since it's the same one from the hull.. but i can't tell / know how to.

It's really not a problem , it's just ugly and badly done. So if I can remove it easily with some elbow grease and minimal investment I would be very happy but can live with it too !

Can you explain the duck tape ? Im curious

Cheers

Put duct tape over the blue paint, rub it on good, wait a couple minutes, and peel off the duct tape, hopefully taking some or all of the paint with it. Try a small section before committing...

I am hoping that the previous painter did not scuff the plexi so the paint might not be bonded very well to it.
Old 30-05-2020, 22:17   #10
rbk

Boat: T37

Try a hairdryer (not a heat gun) or let it sit in the sun and get good and warm and use a straight razor to see if you can lift an edge up. You’d be surprised at how easy most paints peel off plastics unless as mentioned above the PO abraded it first. If not the easiest way would be to replace the glass.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 10:14   #11

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate95 View Post
I think what I might do is use some sort of thinner/solvent to remove paint on the plexi glass AND once removed
( hopefully) put some sort of of tinted film like they use on car window.

1) would hide the damage done ( apparently solvent will blurr plexus )

2) will reflect sun light and give it a look ��
I like the idea of tinting the windows. Will darken the interior so might need to use more interior lighting.

Or, don't be afraid to simply replace the windows. Removing them and taking the old ones to a place like Tap Plastics for an exact match is easy and affordable.

Boat windows will always eventually leak and need re-bedding, so doing this now will save you from dealing with it later.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 10:26   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Not all solvents damage plexi.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 10:29   #13

Hi - long-time Sandpiper 565 owner and fanboy (13 years)

For removing paint from fiberglass, the best method I've found is to use a soy-based paint stripper. The stuff is non-toxic and very low fumes. It takes longer than harsher strippers, but it absolutely does not harm fiberglass, and it is water-soluble so after scraping it can be hosed and scrubbed off easily.

I used it to strip old bottom-paint from our boat so I can swear to it not harming fiberglass. I suspect that it wouldn't harm acrylic either, but please do your research, maybe contact the manufacturer of the stripper you want to use. Maybe try stripping 1" of paint from the window's edge.

Re window tinting, you'd get a better result by buying tinted acrylic or Plexiglass, remove and use the old windows as cutting and drilling templates, and mount the new windows.

Enjoy your Sandpiper!
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 11:54   #14

Thanks to all of you for the great advice !! I really appreciate it

Now that I have a good set of options I will try a couple and see !

I will let you guys now how it turned out !!

Cheers
Old 31-05-2020, 11:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Hi - long-time Sandpiper 565 owner and fanboy (13 years)

For removing paint from fiberglass, the best method I've found is to use a soy-based paint stripper. The stuff is non-toxic and very low fumes. It takes longer than harsher strippers, but it absolutely does not harm fiberglass, and it is water-soluble so after scraping it can be hosed and scrubbed off easily.

I used it to strip old bottom-paint from our boat so I can swear to it not harming fiberglass. I suspect that it wouldn't harm acrylic either, but please do your research, maybe contact the manufacturer of the stripper you want to use. Maybe try stripping 1" of paint from the window's edge.

Re window tinting, you'd get a better result by buying tinted acrylic or Plexiglass, remove and use the old windows as cutting and drilling templates, and mount the new windows.

Enjoy your Sandpiper!

Yes it would definitely be better to replace them ! But i really don't want to start "investing" in it for anything but important stuff , we are leaving next year to our other boat in the US and that one she need money haha

I will look into it ! I have an other project

Tags
paint