Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 05:23   #31

Boat: CSY 44 wo "Hoot Mon"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camd View Post
Yes that is an epoxy reinforced latex. It's actually what BM calls a satin finish which is a little less shiny than a semi-gloss. I had never thought to use that on my boat. It should work well.
Iused thebm floor and patio latex...I put one coat of heavy kilz and then bm....I really like it, I did not want a real shine finish, I probably should have put two coats but it looks great will. Take photo
widget55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:45   #32

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
We have been using this for sometime now inside lockers, compartments and inside the bilge and engine compartment, http://tinyurl.com/yenfvzh and just need to have a clean surface, no sanding. We have not seen a sign of mildew or mold at all and it is mostly fiberglass and older gelcoat that we are covering. We don't topcoat it. WG
I bought the primer and applied one coat in a few lockers. I am thinking to topcoat with Valspar Kitchen and Bath enamel. It seems that in Canada there are no anti mold additives available, but the Valspar has it in the mixture. What do you guys think?
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 10:05   #33

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
OK, for all it's worth, here is what I did.

Used Zinsser Bull's Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior Primer all over. Topcoated it with Zinsser Exterior Paint with mold and mildew protection inside lockers and cabinets (actually called Zinsser and asked whether I should use the interior or the exterior paint as both had anti mold additives. Zinsser said to use exterior because it resists temperature changes). Topcoated it with Brightside by Interlux on walls and ceiling. Very happy with the look, will see how it holds up.
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 15:26   #34

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith View Post
I have applied UL polyurethane spray .It's result excellent.
How do you go spraying inside a confined space like a hull?
Old 28-07-2010, 15:47   #35

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
We have been using this for sometime now inside lockers, compartments and inside the bilge and engine compartment, http://tinyurl.com/yenfvzh and just need to have a clean surface, no sanding. We have not seen a sign of mildew or mold at all and it is mostly fiberglass and older gelcoat that we are covering. We don't topcoat it. WG
Very interested to see if there is a similar product in Oz as I hate sanding and painting lockers.

Quote:
We have been using this for sometime now
How long has "sometime" been?
More than 1 year? Two?
Old 29-07-2010, 09:00   #36

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Spraying inside is possible, but excessively expensive in masking, and ventilating, unless the entire interior is removed. Hand application is superior because it is safer, cheaper, and leaves a thicker, very smooth surface, and can be easily repaired in the future.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 13:23   #37

Re: Paint Interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by widget55 View Post
We have a csy 44wo and need paint inside..what should I us? Thanks widget
My grandfather designed and raced Hoot Mon in the 1950's. My father is very familiar with this boat and is a retired master boat builder. If you ever have any questions regarding Hoot Mon or materials to use in/on the boat, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will refer your questions to my dad. I hope you and your family are enjoying Hoot Mon as much as my family did.
sailorette56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 13:44   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Spraying inside is possible, but excessively expensive in masking, and ventilating, unless the entire interior is removed. Hand application is superior because it is safer, cheaper, and leaves a thicker, very smooth surface, and can be easily repaired in the future.
My understanding is that brushing polyurethane creates some nasty fumes, but you have to be REALLY careful when spraying it. Nothing less than a positive pressure mask will do.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 13:48   #39

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

Killz Complete (oil based) Primer
Rustoleum Protective Enamel (oil based enamel) for paint

decently priced, available at hardware stores.

You are wasting your time and money on marine enamels for interior. Use it on the exterior, but inside will be fine with oil based enamels. However, I do like Interlux Bilgekote for lockers and rough fiberglass areas. For bilge areas that will see water a lot, use Epoxy Primekote or Interprotect.
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 14:23   #40

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith

You are wasting your time and money on marine enamels for interior. Use it on the exterior, but inside will be fine with oil based enamels. However, I do like Interlux Bilgekote for lockers and rough fiberglass areas. For bilge areas that will see water a lot, use Epoxy Primekote or Interprotect.
Yes i did just that. But white rustoleun will yellow with time.
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 20:48   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post

Hi Beersmith

I have a sailboat that i want to remove the interior covers which are old and coming lose and paint over the exposed fiberglass. All are cabin

walls.

Do you suggest the Rustoleum or the Interlux? Do they need a primer. The color of the exposed fiberglass is brown, so i take it that i will need to send it down.

Suggestions?

Thanks
sailtime
sailtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 21:30   #42

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I rolled & tipped the interior of our last boat with the best enamel from our local paint store. It was about $25.00 a gallon 15 years ago. I added some quality thinner (~5%) and a splash of Japan drier. It wasn't expensive, it applied beautifully, covered in one coat over primer, and it still looked new 10 years later when I last saw the boat.
If I had added more Japan drier it probably would have been just like Bilgecoat, an excellent product.
Old 25-06-2013, 05:44   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtime View Post
Hi Beersmith

I have a sailboat that i want to remove the interior covers which are old and coming lose and paint over the exposed fiberglass. All are cabin

walls.

Do you suggest the Rustoleum or the Interlux? Do they need a primer. The color of the exposed fiberglass is brown, so i take it that i will need to send it down.

Suggestions?

Thanks
sailtime
Hi Sailtime,

Since I made that post I've found a good, cheaper alternative to Bilgekote in Porch and Patio paint, which can be found at regular hardware stores. It is tough stuff that will do just fine on bare exposed fiberglass. I'm not sure if it needs primer, but if it does, Killz primer is good and inexpensive.
Old 25-06-2013, 05:48   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazil View Post
Yes i did just that. But white rustoleun will yellow with time.
indeed. I did some research on this subject and did find that white oil based paint will sometimes turn yellow, especially in cabinets or areas not exposed to light

I ended up going with Rustoleum Marine paint in semi-gloss white. It supposedly does not yellow over time and is a bit more durable than the regular stuff. At only $15/quart, it didn't break the bank and doesn't have a serious "marine mark-up".

Tags
interior