Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2023, 23:24   #1

Boat: Ganley Stratos 15mtr
Paint color's

Hi
We are hauling out in June this year and plan to have the mast removed and all the standing rigging replaced. At the same time, we would like to take the opportunity to have some painting done as we can have a tent put over the yacht. At the moment the sides of the hull are white, and I have been toying with the idea of changing this to a dark blue. What are the pros and cons of changing to blue.

Thanks Paul
PaulZeeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 23:48   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Paint color's

Dark colors: shorter paint lifespan,warmer inside on hot days,more difficult and meticulous the preparation of the hull to paint it with a spray gun,dark blue colors are very pretty,any scratches are more evident on a dark colored hull.

White:keep the indoor temperature more stable,easier to repair and maintain,the boat becomes more visible,it's a boring color.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 04:26   #3

Boat: 1983 Pearson 34

I agree with neilpride. I have flag blue on my hull. It is a challenge to paint unless you can spray and it scratches easily. I would stay white if I had the choice without serious prep.
JeffDPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 06:28   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

People who list all the reasons why a white topsides is preferable likely drive home from the marina in a car which isn’t white.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 06:57   #5

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33

I love the look of dark blue topsides. They look very nautical and classic. While shopping for a used boat, I avoided boats with dark topsides as the darker colors show oxidation, scratches, etc more readily. I was shopping for lower maintenance where possible, and didn't want to spend too much time on polishing and waxing.

To S/V Illusion's comment, yes I did own a black pickup truck in my youth and never will own a dark color car again. My current ride is metallic silver and my previous was white.

I recommend going with the color that makes you turn around when leaving your boat for one last look, because you love way she looks.

D2
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 17:34   #6

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
People who list all the reasons why a white topsides is preferable likely drive home from the marina in a car which isn’t white.

Right mine is a dark charcoal grey

Not a boat color

Yes I’m American
Old 10-02-2023, 18:12   #7

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I build boat canvas for a living.

I add a 10% upcharge for dark colored boats/cockpits.

They show EVERY little scratch & imperfection. I generally work on new boats before delivery. I try to be very careful- I remove my shoes, set my tools and tool bags on a towel, etc. Invariably, I'll scratch something that needs rubbing compound & wax to make right.

I've never had to rub out anything on a light colored boat.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 18:58   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I spayed an Awlgrip LPU. Royal Blue. Lasted for years and then sold the boat. I did get a couple of scratches from anchors and such but would mix up a little bit and artist brush the boo boo.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 19:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Does your car regularly rub against fenders and docks?

The reasons listed in the first response are dead on correct.

PS: The most common car color by the way is white.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 00:49   #10

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Well, car paint chemist v boat topsides topcoat are different, since cars got a color base and a clear coat to protect the finish, boat paint chemist its different.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:25   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

Paul we just ticked all the colour boxes on our yacht topsides. We had a family competition on the design, the wife won and I got spraying.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_851298805954677.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	431.4 KB
ID:	271453  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:29   #12

Boat: Ganley Stratos 15mtr

Yip that's it, I'm sold.
:-)
PaulZeeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 13:16   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

My first boat had a painted hull.....Royal Blue...while new, it was gorgeous, but the paint was an epoxy and after some years started to chalk.
So I repainted it with a lighter color blue, this time two part polyurethane.
After several more years, I noted this lighter blue was prone to getting and showing dirt.
So once again, I repainted it, this time white, also two part polyurethane. White didn't seem to show the dirt as much as the light blue.

I can't say I noticed much difference with the temperature inside the boat, as the hull was insulated. The hull, regardless of color, was hot to touch in the summer, mostly because it was a steel hull.

My next boat (fiberglass hull) had a professionally applied two part white polyurethane paint job done to it, polished it looked like a million dollars. In the summer, the hull was hot to the touch.

Next boat after that, had a dark blue gelcoat, as above, hull was hot to the touch, but inside was always relatively cool. Scratches and scuff marks were noticeable from the anchor, dinghies alongside, fenders, etc.

Off the three, the dark blue hull...ala...Beneteau dark blue shows hull dings and scuffs more than the others. The gelcoat is easily scratched and the white fiberglass underneath becomes very noticeable. These dings and scuffs are difficult to repaint.

White, obviously will not show the above imperfections as much as other colors.

If not white, a lighter color might be a better option than dark blue.

Hope this helps.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 13:21   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I've had sailboats in the Caribbean in white, blue and "Champagne". Blue looks nice, but unless cared for will turn a bit chalky given time. I've now got this golden-beige color that Jeanneau calls Champagne and this is a great compromise. It looks good and is aging very well.

I've not noticed a big difference in internal temperature with different hull colors.
Old 27-05-2023, 16:20   #15
CMH

Boat: Irwin 65, center console, owner’s version

No color turns more heads than dark blue. Ours is flag blue in Awlgrip. We love it.
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint