Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2011, 08:01   #1

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Outboard Rudder, Gudgeon Bolt Holes Repair

Hello,

My gudgeon bolt holes in my outboard rudder and very sloppy.
I have the rudder off and inside a rented space.

Can I fill with West System and then re-drill new holes?

The holes are 2.5 inches deep.

Thanks
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 08:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Yes... but I'd add colidial silica to the mix to strenghten it more.... also I'd suggest a S/S plate/plates inside and out to spread loads and reduce wear where the bolts go through the hull...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 08:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
There might be some confusion here. Are the holes in the rudder sloppy, or are the holes for the gudgeons in your boat's hull sloppy. If the former, then by all means fill and drill. If the latter, then Boatman61 is right. Normally the bits of hardware on the rudder are designated 'pintles', to distinguish from the 'gudgeons' on the hull.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 09:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
There might be some confusion here. Are the holes in the rudder sloppy, or are the holes for the gudgeons in your boat's hull sloppy. If the former, then by all means fill and drill. If the latter, then Boatman61 is right. Normally the bits of hardware on the rudder are designated 'pintles', to distinguish from the 'gudgeons' on the hull.
Think I'd still fit a plate under the fittings... if they've opened up once they'll do it again.... the vice-like effect will stop/slow a repitition

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 16:42   #5

I am such a looser, I apologive to both of you.

I meant pintles and not gudgeons.

The gudgeons on my hull are in great shape.

My problem is where the pintle's bolts go through my rudder, the holes in the fiberglass are worn and sloppy from 33 years.

Thanks
Old 28-01-2011, 16:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
I'd explore some bronze "sockets" to bush the rudder/pintle joint.. Easy enough to do. I think I saw some bronze tubing at Key West Marine Hdwe.... If not I'm sure KW Welding on Simonton would be able to turn you out some from solid stock. Overdrill the rudder and bed in the bronze with West Sys... Make sure the core of the rudder is ABSOLUTELY dry or the West won't adhere!
Old 29-01-2011, 01:36   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I am such a looser, I apologive to both of you.

I meant pintles and not gudgeons.

The gudgeons on my hull are in great shape.

My problem is where the pintle's bolts go through my rudder, the holes in the fiberglass are worn and sloppy from 33 years.

Thanks
IMO, if the original setup was simply holes drilled through the rudder and they worked for 33 years, then filling with epoxy/high density filler mush and redrilling should be a completely adequate fix. Don't over-engineer a simple job!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 31-01-2011, 23:44   #8
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
You should log onto the West System site and read up on "hardware bonding". In your application you'll want more then just straight a silica mix. Alone silica is very dense and tends to be brittle. The addition of milled fibers or cotton flock (West 403 is cotton) will greatly improve adhesion and elongation strength, both quite desirable here. A 50/50 mix is good.

It's important you have a dry rudder, so check the holes for moisture, which ideally should be below 15% moisture content. If it's wet, acetone baths can wick out a lot of it, as can a carefully used heat gun.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
You should log onto the West System site and read up on "hardware bonding". In your application you'll want more then just straight a silica mix. Alone silica is very dense and tends to be brittle. The addition of milled fibers or cotton flock (West 403 is cotton) will greatly improve adhesion and elongation strength, both quite desirable here. A 50/50 mix is good.

It's important you have a dry rudder, so check the holes for moisture, which ideally should be below 15% moisture content. If it's wet, acetone baths can wick out a lot of it, as can a carefully used heat gun.
I have it sitting in the sun and it has been drying out quite well.
Very much help here, it's appreciated.
Thanks

Tags
outboard, repairs, rudder