Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2012, 22:45   #1

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Opinions Wanted on Canopy.

I am trying to design a Hard canopy on my CC 40f yacht, I am constrained by the cockpit sole level, so allowing for 6f of standing height, I have made a scale drawing of what it would look like.
I want to know if it ruins the lines of the boat or if you think it looks OK?

I have already raised the boom and would like to be able to walk on this hard top to pack the sail ect.
So give it to me straight does it look ridiculous or could you live with it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hardtop1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	48695
Old 23-10-2012, 23:41   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Opinions wanted on Canopy.

What do you think?
I have 6' of head room but I'm not happy with it's flexing. Next spring I plan to build a hard dodger that starts at the gangway hatch cover, about 18" high then blend into more of a radius up to it's highest spot. So it's more of a bubble shape.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UD_afloat6.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	48696  
Old 24-10-2012, 00:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
What do you think?
I have 6' of head room but I'm not happy with it's flexing. Next spring I plan to build a hard dodger that starts at the gangway hatch cover, about 18" high then blend into more of a radius up to it's highest spot. So it's more of a bubble shape.

That sounds interesting, will it be Fglass?
Your existing canopy looks very similar to what I have in mind.
I had a go at drawing it up in Sketchup.

Name:	Cockpit2.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	48699
Old 24-10-2012, 00:58   #4

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I think it looks pretty ordinary, but it is really difficult to design a hard dodger on this size of boat that looks good.
Having said that, if you play with some of he visual elements you may be able to make it look better. Eg the vertical strut at the aft end emphasises the height. More camber on the top may also make it look a little lower.
Would not like to be up on top working - easy to be thrown off.
After years of procrastination I will be building one on Nekeyah this year. Will make a plywood skin over an alloy framework and just keep altering things until we end up with the least ugly alternative.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 01:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
I think it looks pretty ordinary, but it is really difficult to design a hard dodger on this size of boat that looks good.
Having said that, if you play with some of he visual elements you may be able to make it look better. Eg the vertical strut at the aft end emphasises the height. More camber on the top may also make it look a little lower.
After years of procrastination I will be building one on Nekeyah this year. Will make a plywood skin over an alloy framework and just keep altering things until we end up with the least ugly alternative.
Regards,
Richard.
Sounds good, Keep it coming.
How is this for less ugly?

Name:	Hardtop2.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	48700
Old 24-10-2012, 01:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
That sounds interesting, will it be Fglass?
Your existing canopy looks very similar to what I have in mind.
I plan to build it with bit of a wrap around radius & made from marine ply covered with glass & epoxy. It'll also have some lexon inserts. Where the canvas is attached, it'll be recessed so the spray/water will pass over w/o intrusion. I want to put some displays behind it.
Old 24-10-2012, 02:02   #7

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

I would collect photos from other boats with hard dodgers and see which one looks like yours and looks good. Don't rush jobs like that. I made a Targa frame and Bimini half stolen designs with my own mixed in.
I'm very happy with the result.
It's all a bit like painting.....lots of preparation will give the best result.

Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 02:15   #8

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
I am trying to design a Hard canopy on my CC 40f yacht, I am constrained by the cockpit sole level, so allowing for 6f of standing height, I have made a scale drawing of what it would look like.
I want to know if it ruins the lines of the boat or if you think it looks OK?

I have already raised the boom and would like to be able to walk on this hard top to pack the sail ect.
So give it to me straight does it look ridiculous or could you live with it?
Attachment 48695
My new boat is 42' CC with a hard dodger. It might make it look a bit trawlerish but it is so good I would never contemplate being without it. Bluewater in Newcastle has the moulds for one that would probably drop straight on and the professional finish compensates for the bulk of the dodger itself. It has 6'2" headroom at the wheel and it tapers slightly to the companionway. I'm coming to Pittwater / Sydney in a week or two and you could check it out if you wish. It does make you feel a bit smug when other crews are in their foulies and you are in shorts and T shirt. The hard dodger lets you have overhead cockpit lights and speakers for the stereo as well. If you PM me your moblie number I can MMS a photo for you.
Old 24-10-2012, 04:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I plan to build it with bit of a wrap around radius & made from marine ply covered with glass & epoxy. It'll also have some lexon inserts. Where the canvas is attached, it'll be recessed so the spray/water will pass over w/o intrusion. I want to put some displays behind it.
Thanks Del I will be looking up lexon inserts and the displays?

Boden wrote.
You are right of course but thought it would be mainly for packing up the sail & for picking your way through the reefs (on motor). Its also going to have allot of extra handholds on it, which are lacking around our CC. (still don't have the hang of this quoting yet)

Reiner
I have been doing exactly that but its suprising how few there are that really look any good, there are allot of backyard attemps and canvas ones. Dis see one really nice one but didn't have the camera that day.

Hopefully Subbatical 2 can save the day. PM sent.
Old 24-10-2012, 10:15   #10

This is fairly similar to what I plan but with more support in the frame with less window (inserts). Something that'll take a crashing wave. As well, it'll be farther forward and then blend into the original height.

The object is to create a more secure dodger to protect instruments (displays) with a more streamline look but I will be using it in the tropics and may want to pull down the canvas occasionally on those humid days while sailing.
Old 24-10-2012, 12:24   #11

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

I've been trying to upload the photos for about an hour but don't seem to be smart enough to do it. I hope you can access it with this link. After having a hard dodger you'll never go back.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hard dodger photos.pdf (435.1 KB, 178 views)
Old 24-10-2012, 14:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post

I've been trying to upload the photos for about an hour but don't seem to be smart enough to do it. I hope you can access it with this link. After having a hard dodger you'll never go back.
It looks really good. Does the front window open?You just use the paper clip option.
Hope you don't mind me uploading the pics.

Name:	Hard dodger photos.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	48735
Old 24-10-2012, 15:04   #13

looks good to me...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 15:10   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
How is this for less ugly?
Attachment 48700
Yes, it looks less like a DIY project.
Old 24-10-2012, 16:43   #15

I have thought about this myself and for the top I was planing on using high-density urethane foam glassed over ,think surfboard here! easily shaped and curved but that is about as far as my planning goes at this point
As far as I'am concerned a dodger is a must any size boat!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted