Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 14:27   #16

Re: on the hard .. a bad thing?

I reckon having the entire boat weight loading the keel might also lead to distortion albeit small and probably over a larger and so less noticeable area. Cradle pads should line up with bulkheads and so have force distributed over a larger area. The aim should be to distribute load over as many points and as large an area as possible. Some builders put pointers on the hull to indicate loading areas. The keel might be one of several load points and all of them should be equally loaded or thereabouts. So a couple of tonnes per load point. Of course the keel might take a little more mostly because there's reinforcement along the centre of the hull.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 14:30   #17

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I think the only benefit to keeping a boat out of the water -- out of her element! -- is less fouling.

It used to be, that in earlier stages of GRP technology when osmosis was a problem, it was considered useful to let the hull dry out. That does not seem to be the case for more modern boats.

On the hard, the boat is subject to much greater thermal stress (especially, freezing, which it can't do in the water), and none of the systems can be exercised.

Very many systems which are left idle on the hard, never being used, will fail prematurely.

So as always, no less than for boats which have been in the water, caveat emptor.
If I could leave the boat in the water I would. The harbour in Whitby, Ontario, Canada freezes solid and the ice moves. Pretty sure it would grind the boat to a pulp by spring. Just saying
ensembull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 14:33   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
I reckon having the entire boat weight loading the keel might also lead to distortion albeit small and probably over a larger and so less noticeable area. Cradle pads should line up with bulkheads and so have force distributed over a larger area. The aim should be to distribute load over as many points and as large an area as possible. Some builders put pointers on the hull to indicate loading areas. The keel might be one of several load points and all of them should be equally loaded or thereabouts. So a couple of tonnes per load point. Of course the keel might take a little more mostly because there's reinforcement along the centre of the hull.
A well built boat probably won't be much bothered by any of this. But being in the water is obviously more comfortable for the structure of a boat. A boat's element is in the water, not on the hard.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard