Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 12:10   #1

Oil Leaking from Edson Pedestal

Standard white pedestal you see on many boats (Hunter Cherubini 37). It is leaking oil where the wheel enters the pedestal, maybe from the bearing ... ? It is definitely somewhat oily but could mostly be dirt as well, however it does leak a lot - but randomly. Probably weather dependent. It is a black color.

Cable steering btw, no hydraulics.

From what I remember when I took the wheel off and all the hardware over the winter, there really wasn't a place that could leak so much oil. So I'm both confused, and wondering if I should care. It is a decent amount. More than I imagine could fit anywhere like a bearing.

I did liberally oil the damn thing with various fluids when I pulled the wheel, so one idea is that it pooled up somewhere and is now slowly leaking out

It doesn't really bother me to wipe it up every so often as it comes right off the pedestal and the cockpit sole.

Research has given me no hits unfortunately
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:29   #2

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet
Re: Oil Leaking from Edson Pedestal

There is no oil source in there....... probably what you added? What kind of oil did you use?? Those components are really to be greased...... maybe what you put on it washing all the grease off. I’d open it back up and make sure you don’t ruin the bearings.

Good luck
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 14:37   #3

Some penetrating oil to assist with the pulling of the wheel. Pribo kroil or something. I didn't internationally oil anything
Old 12-08-2019, 14:39   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

It could be oil from the compass.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 16:59   #5

Boat: Allied 39

If it’s a Edson pedestal and there is grease weeping out of the area where the wheel exits the pedestal — it could be grease from the bearings. There are two roller bearings (in older models). Maybe by over oiling it maybe excess oil that is weeping out of the bearings. If there is no bubble showing in the top of the compass dome then that is not the issue
Old 12-08-2019, 17:45   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Grease doesn’t drip..... it oozzes. Open it up, clean the oil you put in, regrease the bearings and will be done. Unless you broke the compass and it’s dripping. Different issue

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 18:44   #7

Maybe compass, that is a good idea. Definitely not a ooze, absolutely a drip/flow. Whatever it is has a low viscosity.

At least I know it isn't something that is going to blow up on me. I'll take it apart soon and do my best to inspect and clean it up.

Thanks everyone!
Old 13-08-2019, 08:13   #8

Boat: O'Day 40

Compass oil.

Been there, done that.

If it's the original one it may need to be replaced.
Old 13-08-2019, 11:05   #9

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Is your engine oil pressure gauge mounted on the pedistal?, mine leaked and made a mess.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 11:50   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
Is your engine oil pressure gauge mounted on the pedistal?, mine leaked and made a mess.
That would only be the case if your oil pressure gauge was mechanical. Usually an oil pressure gauge works off an electrical signal from a sensor on the block.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 10:19   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Standard white pedestal you see on many boats (Hunter Cherubini 37). It is leaking oil where the wheel enters the pedestal, maybe from the bearing ... ? It is definitely somewhat oily but could mostly be dirt as well, however it does leak a lot - but randomly. Probably weather dependent. It is a black color.

Cable steering btw, no hydraulics.

From what I remember when I took the wheel off and all the hardware over the winter, there really wasn't a place that could leak so much oil. So I'm both confused, and wondering if I should care. It is a decent amount. More than I imagine could fit anywhere like a bearing.

I did liberally oil the damn thing with various fluids when I pulled the wheel, so one idea is that it pooled up somewhere and is now slowly leaking out

It doesn't really bother me to wipe it up every so often as it comes right off the pedestal and the cockpit sole.

Research has given me no hits unfortunately
I replaced my entire steering system in 2014 with an Edson Classic pedestal. On the return from Hawaii in 2016 the crew noted a fluid stain down the backside of the pedestal below the wheel and up-down-side movement of the wheel. Edson supplied new bearings and grease at no charge which I replaced in 2016 and up-down-side movement disappeared. One year later up-down-side movement of the wheel was again noted and the company's president/owner was notified along with a video of the movement. An agreement was made to return the pedestal in 2018 during the normal 2-year maintenance cycle. In 2018 their (Edson) inspection noted that a "spacer" was missing and a new pedestal was sent to me which I installed; to date no further discrepancy has been noted.

I recommend you contact Edson. I found them easy to deal with. The unit does take a small amount of grease supplied with the bearing replacement kit.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edson, oil, oil leak, pedestal