Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 19:25   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
oil change schedule

A simple question. I'm new to diesel engines and would like feedback on the schedule for changing oil. The boat is 25 years old with a Ford 80Hp with just 410 hours on it.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 19:40   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
oil changes are probably the best way to extend the life of your engine. Most manufacturers recommend a oil and filter change every hundred hours, or as close as you can get. we have followed that schedule for all the years we have lived aboard and cruised and had very few major issues with the engine. The other important issue is keeping the fuel that reaches the engine as clean as possible.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 19:53   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Yeah, 100 hours between oil/filter changes = good.

I have had my old oil analyzed several times and the conclusion has been:
"Plenty oil-life left".

Based on that I could have gone to 150 or 200 hours, but the $15.00 savings per every 6 months may not be worth the $15,000 for a new engine/installation.

On the other hand I have had a lift-pump problem with diesel fuel being pumped into the lube oil with a resulting 6% ratio..it could have ruined my engine over the next 2 months. The oil sample and the lab caught the problem early on.

The point is: Don't mess around or delay oil/filter changes in yer old diesel.
Clean oil and clean fuel in yer diesel will make it go forever.
Old 05-01-2008, 21:37   #4

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Surprised it's that often. Brought her down from Seattle, WA to Newport, OR back in September. Stuck in fog going out Juan de Fuca for two days of 10 hours of motoring with the radar keeping us safe. Then down the coast with no wind for the next 48 hours. That puts us at 68 hours plus what the previous owner may have had on her. We just bought her in late August and the previous owner didn't have a log a to when he last changed it, but he was very careful with all previous maintainance. Guess it's about time to change it just to be safe and set up a log of my own for future maintainance scheduling.
Anything else you might suggest as to checking and changing on a regular basis?
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 22:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
At the top of the engine Forum, is a "Study Hall". Pop in and read the maintenance schedule list, it may be of help for you.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
YANMAR “GM” & “JH” Series Marine Engines Recommended Maximum Change Intervals:
Oil: 150 Hours (3 Months)
Oil Filtre: 300 Hrs (6 Mos)
Fuel Filtre: 300 Hrs (6 Mos)
Zinc Anodes (if fitted): 300 Hrs (6 Mos)
Pump Impeller: 600 Hrs (12 Mos)

I changed both my engine oil & oil filtre roughly every 100 Hours, and my fuel filtre & transmission oil every 200 hours. I never had a fuel filtre that “looked” like it needed changing, but I was VERY careful about prefiltering all fuel before it went into my tank.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:55   #7

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I never had a fuel filtre that “looked” like it needed changing, but I was VERY careful about prefiltering all fuel before it went into my tank.
Just out of interest, how did you prefilter the fuel when you filled your tank?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:07   #8

We change the oil twice a season, not so much because of hours but when we lay up the boat it is better to have fresh oil in it for the winter.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded Mariner View Post
Just out of interest, how did you prefilter the fuel when you filled your tank?
Baja Filter:
H&B Baja Filters, LLC

The Baja Fuel Filter is housed in a cylindrical aluminum alloy canister that measures 6.5 inches in diameter and is 18 inches in total length. It is available with a welded 1.5-inch diameter spout or a 1-7/8 inch diameter spout. Both spouts are 5.75 inches long. The filter weighs 7.25 pounds and has a maximum flow rate of four gallons per minute. It includes three filter elements (coarse, fine, water separator) spacer ring and cap set.

See also Practical Sailor’s Deck-Fill Fuel Filter Test Report:
Fuel Filter Article

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:11   #10

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
Thanks for that! That looks easy and useful.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:35   #11

Boat: Norseman 447
[quote

I changed both my engine oil & oil filtre roughly every 100 Hours, and my fuel filtre & transmission oil every 200 hours. I never had a fuel filtre that “looked” like it needed changing, but I was VERY careful about prefiltering all fuel before it went into my tank.[/quote]

I'd be interested in some more comments on Transmission oil changes, seems to me 200hrs is a fairly frequent change rate, as oil in transmission is not absorbing soot and is basically a closed system only means of contamination is from clutch plate wear, which can usually be seen or smelt, We change our Engine oil in our Ford Lehman every 200hrs but in 3 years have yet to change transmission oil, still smells and looks fine, what degradation in lubricating propertys does oil go through in a transmission situation
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:44   #12

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
My boat will never see 100 hours in our short season. So it's done annually during lay-up, regardless of hours.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
We change our Engine oil in our Ford Lehman every 200hrs but in 3 years have yet to change transmission oil, still smells and looks fine, what degradation in lubricating propertys does oil go through in a transmission situation
I look at it this way...
Is it worth the $10.00 in oil and 15 min to change it worth a potential problem.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:33   #14

Heat is the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
We change our Engine oil in our Ford Lehman every 200hrs but in 3 years have yet to change transmission oil, still smells and looks fine, what degradation in lubricating propertys does oil go through in a transmission situation
When we bought our boat the oil in the trans was dirty brown, not red like ATF should be, I don't think it had ever been changed. The problem is heat, there is only .4 of a litre of oil in the trans (Hurth/ZF 50) and there is no cooler. After several hours of motoring this thing gets hot and it will break down the oil over time. I change it yearly now, it is cheap insurance. Check out Foley engines website for another opinion on this topic.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:57   #15

Boat: Norseman 447
Just found a manual online for our 72C velvet drive, reccomends oil changes every 1000 hrs or annually as our boat is used on a regular basis and oil shows no sign of degradation, eg burnt smell, small particulate contamination from clutch plate wear or water ingress i dont see any reason why 1000hrs should not be used
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil change