Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2010, 18:21   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
'Oh Joy' Restoration - 01/30/10

Back to the boat today to work on that clamp again. I tried using the electric planer but no joy as it was too big to fit so it was the old school way with hammer and chisel. After we got it close, we went at it with the sander.

Notice the fitment of the new deck beams?

You can see the joins.

After we got it pretty close, it was time to make the last of that section's deck beams and fit them.

Now I have to order some fasteners and bolt that side together after measuring the spacing between the house bolts. I wouldn't want to finish everything up and find the house won't bolt up. I'm thinking of through bolting the inside ends as well instead of using screws.

I'm just wondering whether to glue the joints too. If I did, it'd be tough for the next person to replace them.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 21:42   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 30K
Lookin good.

I would be tempted to use whatever fastening method the builder used. They knew what they were doing.
Tim_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 09:55   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
That's what I'm thinking...
Old 31-01-2010, 10:39   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Lookin good Charlie.

How are you going to protect that clamp where the c/plate is let in? If in contact with the c/plate ,without protection, perfect place for rot to start from seepage from a "working" c/plate.
Old 31-01-2010, 11:04   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Thanks for posting your progress. You do good work and it is a pleasure to see what the pros are doing. Makes my refit look like a cake walk.
regards,
Old 31-01-2010, 11:32   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Lookin good Charlie.

How are you going to protect that clamp where the c/plate is let in? If in contact with the c/plate ,without protection, perfect place for rot to start from seepage from a "working" c/plate.

I'm gonna CPES the piece first then paint it. I'll be using the Sanitred system. Sanitred is a liquid polyurethane paint that's flexible, waterproof and UV proof. It only comes off with a special stripper. I'll coat the deck ply with it including the edges.

For edges and joints with things like the bulwarks, chainplates and house, it'll get a primer coat of the Sanitred, then a bead of LRB (Liquid Rubber Base) thickened to a thick paste and troweled into the joint like caulk, followed by a second coat of Sanitred. Over the top of this will go the chainplate covers which screw into the deck with a bit of butyl tape under them.

The Sanitred/LRB layer acts like a rubber gasket and the bit of butyl tape will seal around the screws and fill any gaps. All of these materials are flexible and won't crack with movement. Sanitred sticks to anything with a death grip.
Old 31-01-2010, 11:34   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Thanks for posting your progress. You do good work and it is a pleasure to see what the pros are doing. Makes my refit look like a cake walk.
regards,
Pro? I wish... This is my first restoration, hell, my first wooden boat for that matter. I'm just applying lessons learned from other of life's pursuits and whatever knowledge other more learned folks are willing to share.

I may be a Pro after this thing though....
Old 31-01-2010, 13:35   #8

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Well Charlie, it appears that those talents you picked up in other pursuits are standing you in good stead here. Everything I've seen so far has been well thought thru and executed. Keep at it, and she will be a work of art once again.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 13:54   #9

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
If you mean professional gets paid, and amateur doesn't, when it comes to quality of work, the former and quality are not always synonymous.
You got nothing to worry about

Tags
restoration