Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 04:54   #1

Boat: Malö 40H
Off with the coppercoat

Hi, so we bought our boat last year and the previous owner had applied coppercoat to the hull.. the surveyor had written in its report we should be at least good until 2018.. but I am now staring at a completely out of control jungle of every possible and conceivable type of barnacles, algae, worm looking things and God know what else is growing down there. I had to leave for boat 2 months unattended and now I can't even scratch the stuff off with a plastic spatula anymore as I did once.

So the boat must be taken out and water blasted and some real antifouling be applied..screw this coppercoat thing. The question is, can one apply antifouling on top of it and be done with it ? Or does one have to that before? (Sand off?)

Thanks in advance for and tips and info!

Erick
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:06   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Off with the coppercoat

IMO you can paint over as it is basically epoxy paint. I would check around the other boats around you first to find the story as there are places that no matter will have growth.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:24   #3
cruiser

Some places have so much organic material in the water, you're going to grow a carpet no matter what you do. But with the high cost of Coppercoat, I would be expecting better performance.

If you want to try something like an ablative paint, then you can always go back to Coppercoat just by sanding if the performance of the ablative paint is no better.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:10   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

The matrix is epoxy. Clean, sand, wash and degrease. The new paint must be copper based as any other AF compound may react with the underlying remaining copper.

If you want a different chemistry, you will have to either remove the old coppercoat or else prime it over with epoxy primer.

HOWEVER, I have just been to the boatyard where owners of an older HR re-painted theirs with another coat /-s of the coppercoat. Their opinion is that - in their individual case - the paint worked very well - they had a diver clean the boat twice every year though. The coat was good for about 4+ years.

I bet they were happy as otherwise they would not be recoating with the same product.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:06   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Hi, so we bought our boat last year and the previous owner had applied coppercoat to the hull.. the surveyor had written in its report we should be at least good until 2018.. but I am now staring at a completely out of control jungle of every possible and conceivable type of barnacles, algae, worm looking things and God know what else is growing down there. I had to leave for boat 2 months unattended and now I can't even scratch the stuff off with a plastic spatula anymore as I did once.

So the boat must be taken out and water blasted and some real antifouling be applied..screw this coppercoat thing. The question is, can one apply antifouling on top of it and be done with it ? Or does one have to that before? (Sand off?)

Erick
Not sure why you are upset with the Coppercoat. 2018 is only 3 months away. Sounds like the Coppercoat performed as expected. As others have posted, there should be no problem painting over it. Sand, prime and paint. No different really than painting over a typical epoxy barrier coat.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:26   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Erick-
I helped a friend apply one of those copper epoxy products a good ten year ago. The first winter it worked, the next year despite hauling and a light sanding to "keep it fresh" it was abysmal. A couple of coats of plain ablative bottom paint went over it.
You can try a light sanding (after pressure washing and if necessary scrubbing with "scotchbrite" type pads) and see if it continues to work for a season or year after that. Or, just consider it to be a barrier coat and apply the ablative over it.

From what I've heard and read after a decade of trying to keep tabs on these products, for a FEW users in specific situations they are absolutely miraculous. For the bulk of the world...a different reality seems to apply and conventional antifouling bottom paint will be needed. Obviously there's something very different about the local KoolAide, ergh, water, and how it affects boats.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:10   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

1. Ask around locally about what people in the area use for antifouling. What works well in one area often does not work as well elsewhere. Also, ask them how they use their boat (does it sit for long periods or is it out sailing every few days, do they haul it out in the winter or any other time for more than a week or so, etc.)

2. Evaluate what paint is best for you given how you use the boat. If the boat sits for periods unused, an ablative paint may be the wrong type of paint for you, since it works by water action over the paint wearing it away. If it gets a layer of growth on it, it can no longer erode and will need to be cleaned.

As Barnakiel stated, make sure that whatever you apply is copper based, which is in truth most paints these days but be sure to check.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:25   #8

a)You need a steel spatula.
b) where are you? It's likely the area you moor in not the paint.
c) my experience in those areas is it's gonna re occur anyway.
d) Bottom paint may kill those things, but by the time they expire they are already huge so not a big benefit. I know of no bottom paint that kills them on contact.
e) In 5 weeks my catamaran would be loaded with about 2 five gallon buckets of growth in the Dominican Republic. Some places in Florida were about as bad.
f) There used to be paints that prevented growth, but they are no longer available in the US.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:57   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post

Erick
Just because a surveyor wrote something doesn't make it true.

If you are unhappy with the bottom paint, contact the manufacturer and tell them your story. They may provide new paint. or, they may not.

Before you apply a different paint, contact the manufacturer of that paint and ask them what preparation is necessary.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:57   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Off with the coppercoat

If you go the steel spatula, grind the corners round so they can’t catch and gouge.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:06   #11

Boat: Lagoon 440

I applied Coppercoat (3 coats) to our Lagoon 440 from the beginning. It lasted and worked great for 7 years while in the Med. We crossed over into the Caribbean a year ago and the growth was amazing, full beard on the bottom that I scraped off every 6-7 weeks. After almost eight years we decided to reapplied another three coats of Coppercoat. It's more expensive but it also lasted 3 times longer which is considerable for us as we are cruising with a goal of a complete circumnavigation of this globe in the next 10 years.

The Caribbean and Florida waters are extremely warm with a higher salt content, from everything I've heard there isn't a product with exceptional protection in these waters.
J-Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you go the steel spatula, grind the corners round so they can’t catch and gouge.
Had this one about 20 years, grippy nylon handle, Spring Stnls steel (cant bend it permanently) rounded corners (came that way) Got it at a high end Kitchen store.:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (3).jpg
Views:	427
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	157276  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:42   #13

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I had crystic copper clad applied in the mold when my boat was constructed. It was unimpressive in the tropics. I applied ablative bottom paint after roughing up the surface and there was no problem with it sticking. I have used ablative bottom paint since then and I feel that it worked better for me than the copper clad.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:14   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Erick, were is the boat moored and how old is the coppercoat? is it proper coppercoat or was it one of the alternatives because it should last 10 years so long as its sanded to expose fresh copper every so often.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:33   #15

Boat: Sovereign Classic 32, 32'

Hi,
Same experience here. Bought the boat in early 2016, copper coat good till 2018 (so I was told). Left the boat for few months, when taken out of the water to do some work - it was horrible, barnacles galore, not to mention other stuff. Could not clean it with high pressure hose. Was bitterly disappointed with copper coat. Had to sand it down and apply traditional antifouling. My mooring is tidal, part floating, part sitting in mud. I did not expect such an infestation!
Was informed by local long term resident that due to warm winter the growth was particularly bad this year.
I did plan to reapply copper coat, but after this experience will stick to traditional ablative antifouling.
Miran is offline   Reply With Quote