Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 18:33   #1

Boat: Hunter 41DS
O’Day 28 Restoration

Hey all, I’m new here and I’ve got a 1984 O’Day 28 that I’m restoring to better than new condition. She’s got an M12 Universal that I’m going to disassemble and go through completely. She’s going to be repainted, new rubrail, new standing and running rigging, new holding tank, electronics, etc... What my question here is what all you folks would do to this boat to take her well off the beach for extended periods. When I replace the rub rail (with oak) I’m going to through bolt it between the existing bolts. I’m also thinking of reinforcing the bow sections when I replace the holding tank. The boat is pretty well built as far as production boats of that era and size are concerned but I want to make the boat into something I don’t have to worry about. I’m putting the time and money into this one because she’s very fast, dry and has a ton of interior volume for a 28 foot boat. ANY input would be greatly appreciated!! Oh, BTW, I restore boats for a living but I’m well aware that many heads are better than one. I very often miss things that other people see and I’m forever trying to learn so I can be better at what I do. Thanks in advance for any input!!
sailtheworld79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 18:41   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: O’Day 28 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtheworld79 View Post
Hey all, I’m new here and I’ve got a 1984 O’Day 28 that I’m restoring to better than new condition. She’s got an M12 Universal that I’m going to disassemble and go through completely. She’s going to be repainted, new rubrail, new standing and running rigging, new holding tank, electronics, etc... What my question here is what all you folks would do to this boat to take her well off the beach for extended periods. When I replace the rub rail (with oak) I’m going to through bolt it between the existing bolts. I’m also thinking of reinforcing the bow sections when I replace the holding tank. The boat is pretty well built as far as production boats of that era and size are concerned but I want to make the boat into something I don’t have to worry about. I’m putting the time and money into this one because she’s very fast, dry and has a ton of interior volume for a 28 foot boat. ANY input would be greatly appreciated!! Oh, BTW, I restore boats for a living but I’m well aware that many heads are better than one. I very often miss things that other people see and I’m forever trying to learn so I can be better at what I do. Thanks in advance for any input!!

Some people keep the hull upright with fuel drums and tyers (or a timber frame) but I found it best to use Acrow props (as used by the construction industry) If you are building on sand or lawn you cannot expect wooden props to stay in place.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 21:05   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Some people keep the hull upright with fuel drums and tyers (or a timber frame) but I found it best to use Acrow props (as used by the construction industry) If you are building on sand or lawn you cannot expect wooden props to stay in place.
When the OP said “take her well off the beach for extended periods” I believe he was referring to offshore passages.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 21:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
When the OP said “take her well off the beach for extended periods” I believe he was referring to offshore passages.
Thanks for that: of course I agree with you now. He means he wants a "blue water boat".
Old 22-02-2020, 22:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post

In Australia we would never say "off the beach" but we would say "well offshore"
Old 23-02-2020, 05:08   #6

Boat: Hunter 41DS

Off the beach, offshore, blue water, same thing ��
sailtheworld79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restoration