Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2020, 22:57   #16

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Number of toilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
. Check out the Dometic/SeaLand Sanipottie 975. Dometic has made it all but impossible find anything on their site, so this is a link to it on a US retailer's site...I'm certain it's available in OZ. SeaLand SaniPottie 975 MSD

If you want a more elegant version of a self-contained system, you might consider the Dometic 711 M28 M28 "marine traveler that's designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water. Dometic/SeaLand Traveler at Defender

Either of these should let that compartment double as a wardrobe.

--Peggie

Thanks Peggie.

I can see I've got a lot more work to do and I will follow up your suggestions.

Thanks
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 23:35   #17

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Not quite true. A composting head cannot become blocked. And if there's ever a problem, just tip it out and start fresh. Easy.
When I have the opportunity to have 2 two heads, one will be a conventional wet sewage system for passages.

I am very happy with my C Head, but a combination of a composting toilet in one head and a flush toilet in the other would be ideal in my book.
Old 16-04-2020, 00:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
When I have the opportunity to have 2 two heads, one will be a conventional wet sewage system for passages.

I am very happy with my C Head, but a combination of a composting toilet in one head and a flush toilet in the other would be ideal in my book.

But why? (I am most interested)

I assume the composting head would be in the aft cabin?
Old 16-04-2020, 02:08   #19

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
But why? (I am most interested)

I assume the composting head would be in the aft cabin?
I would put it in the head that I would use most easily while underway.

A composting head is great for when pumping out isn't so easy. If you're in an anchorage where you don't want to contribute your DNA sample to the water, or a marina unloading wet sewage is cumbersome.

With a flush toilet, wherever direct discharge is not a problem, that much less for the desiccating (compost) toilet deal with. Composters are a batch process. Less contributions to the batch would make life that much easier.

With the -dedicated to open water-wet sewage system, you might consider not even having a holding tank, as long as you could demonstrate a lockable overboard discharge to be legal.

I have had only my C Head composter for 5 years I think. If I never had another flush toilet in my life, I would be happy enough. But when you have the chance to have the best of both worlds, go for it.

Like Mike said, no through hulls, and that's a good thing.
Old 16-04-2020, 02:44   #20

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Can you repurpose one of the heads until emergency time? A good hanger system for lifejackets and wetsuits? Storage? Then it's not such a waste of space, and if the inevitable happens (and it will), you can switch the stuff over and flush away until you fix the problem.... or on shorter trips, ignore it, enjoy yourself, and fix it at the dock when you get home.

These are good thoughts.
Recy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 03:33   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Can you repurpose one of the heads until emergency time? A good hanger system for lifejackets and wetsuits? Storage? Then it's not such a waste of space, and if the inevitable happens (and it will), you can switch the stuff over and flush away until you fix the problem.... or on shorter trips, ignore it, enjoy yourself, and fix it at the dock when you get home.

^^^^ This x 2

My boat came with two as built....

I have been through the 'oh xxxx' situations when one becomes unservicable..
I have also had crew aboard ... I don't want them coming into my space in the middle of the night nor walk all the way frd to take a leak at 02dark

The aft head is a far nicer place to take a dump 'on passage'...

The frd head these days is the 'emergency head'.... and the hanging locker for WWG... cupboard for assorted plumbing related spares... storage on the deck for 5 litre potable water bidones....

..... and the shower has better standing headroom than the aft head... speaking of which ... shower fittings, sump pumps etc also have their moments....
Old 16-04-2020, 03:42   #22

Thanks for that. There's so much useful information here I'll copy the whole thread.

PS Why aren't you back at Tierra del Fuego!
Old 16-04-2020, 03:49   #23

Quote:
Thanks for that. There's so much useful information here I'll copy the whole thread.

PS Why aren't you back at Tierra del Fuego!
Ecuador slammed the door shut 14 days before I was due to fly back to the boat.... probably for the best... Guayaquil isn't a good place to be just now...
Old 16-04-2020, 03:56   #24

I've got a lot, lot more learning to do about composting toilets but I thought this was an excellent start.

Old 16-04-2020, 04:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Ecuador slammed the door shut 14 days before I was due to fly back to the boat.... probably for the best... Guayaquil isn't a good place to be just now...

Mmmm! " Guayaquil isn't a good place to be just now"

Crime: Travelers should know that Guayaquil is not considered a "safe city". This is also true for many cities in Ecuador. Visitors should take specific precautions to protect themselves from harm.
Old 16-04-2020, 04:14   #26

Quote:
Mmmm! " Guayaquil isn't a good place to be just now"

Crime: Travelers should know that Guayaquil is not considered a "safe city". This is also true for many cities in Ecuador. Visitors should take specific precautions to protect themselves from harm.
Hmmm... your thread... your drift....

Boat is on the coast in Guayas Province... .... sadly we have to go through Guayaquil to get back to her ( all academic just now as all borders closed ) and Guayaquil is maybe a bit worse than NYC just now re the covid thingumee.

We live in hope....
Old 16-04-2020, 04:15   #27

Personally, the layout shown in OP feels odd. I assume rudder access is beneath which could be difficult. Would also be difficult to squeeze past the head compartment into the berth. My wife gets up once or twice a night to pee and this would be a deal killer for her.

If curvature of hull and clearance allows, would consider a stall shower on stbd side of aft stateroom. If needed, could use a Porta potti, though a compost head is probably easier.

Good luck. Always difficult trade offs.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 04:37   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I would put it in the head that I would use most easily while underway.

A composting head is great for when pumping out isn't so easy. If you're in an anchorage where you don't want to contribute your DNA sample to the water, or a marina unloading wet sewage is cumbersome.

With a flush toilet, wherever direct discharge is not a problem, that much less for the desiccating (compost) toilet deal with. Composters are a batch process. Less contributions to the batch would make life that much easier....

Best of both worlds .
Old 16-04-2020, 04:51   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Personally, the layout shown in OP feels odd. I assume rudder access is beneath which could be difficult. Would also be difficult to squeeze past the head compartment into the berth. My wife gets up once or twice a night to pee and this would be a deal killer for her.

If curvature of hull and clearance allows, would consider a stall shower on stbd side of aft stateroom. If needed, could use a Porta potti, though a compost head is probably easier.

Good luck. Always difficult trade offs.

Peter

I'm not sure what you are getting at?

It would be a tight fit but I'm sure I could do it particularly if it was a composting toilet.

Does the following help at all?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-16 SailboatData com - MAURITIUS 43 Sailboat.png
Views:	48
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	212975  
Old 16-04-2020, 05:49   #30

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are getting at?

It would be a tight fit but I'm sure I could do it particularly if it was a composting toilet.

Does the following help at all?
Seeing the profile view atop the plan view definitely helps, and changes my observation. I was thinking the rudder post would be beneath the sink in the head. It's not - it's under the sole of the head, which is below waterline which is unusual. I also didn't understand the inboard wall of the head compartment was at center-line of the boat, making a very small head compartment. I thought it extended to the bunk which would make in/out difficult. Apologies for my confusion.

My observation was mostly that a stall shower would be nice. Perhaps the locker across from forward head is already a shower. If not, I would re-purpose the aft head space shown as a stall shower with option to add a compost head down the road. No thru-hulls needed. Just depends on how much you value a stall shower vs a wet head.

Attached picture is of a forward stateroom on an older, relatively small 36-foot sedan trawler. Looking aft, there is a telephone-booth shower just before the companionway that inspired my thought to move the shower forward/stbd near companionway. Just depends on how far your refit is going, available space, and how you plan to use the boat.

Peter
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	212982
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil