Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2019, 11:29   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Normal Thru-Hull aging?

It looks dirty but not dead.

You can plug the hull, then remove the valve and inspect / replace it. I replace older ones here on regular basis (every 6-10 years).

Except if the valve is bronze which tend to last lifetime if maintained. Old bronze (if healthy) often is way superior to new brass.

The flanged valve is shown allright but one must have a matching thruhull for them, thus it is not a simple remove and replace mod. You need the thrughull of that respective kind. NO? YES? SOMETIMES?

Here (in the EU) boats do not have the flange compatible through hull. Except very old UK designs. You can't even buy the thing here (but I did see them in kits at Budget on Antigua). Much as it looks so well designed and probably very desirable in a proper boat.

So, my take is: remove, clean, inspect, decide. If it is brass and looks iffy, replace.

Cheers,

b.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 12:00   #17

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

The flanged valve is shown allright but one must have a matching thruhull for them, thus it is not a simple remove and replace mod. You need the thrughull of that respective kind. NO? YES? SOMETIMES?

b.

The flanged adapter and the old taper plug seacock I posted photos of both use NPS threaded mushroom or flush through hull fittings. Ive never shopped for a bsp flanged adapter....for all I know groco makes these as well.

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 14:06   #18

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Thanks to European Union Regulations, brass through hulls were approved, if not mandated, under their boat building specifications. Many French Built and probably other nation's within the EU used brass through hulls. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. The zinc reacts with salt water leaving only weak porous copper. Would inspect all the thru-hulls and replace if they are brass.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 14:51   #19

Boat: Outremer 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Thanks to European Union Regulations, brass through hulls were approved, if not mandated, under their boat building specifications. Many French Built and probably other nation's within the EU used brass through hulls. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. The zinc reacts with salt water leaving only weak porous copper. Would inspect all the thru-hulls and replace if they are brass.
Here is Beneteau's letter on the topic. I imagine Lagoon's use brass too.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...gIBebtYqzNSlQU
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 08:29   #20

Check out TruDesign they are a Fiber reinforced thru hull. None of the problems of metal fittings.

I've replaced a few valves and fittings with their parts now. It's really awesome stuff. Just make sure all of the parts you buy have matching threads, unlike metal, they clearly mark it on their parts. (Most suppliers only bring in one thread type that I've seen).

Personally wont ever have metal thru hulls again.

The new metal, even Groco and other better brands, is not what it used to be.

I havent read every post so maybe this was explained, but the problem with the threads exposed like in the picture is that the weakest part in that whole setup is the valley of the thread. If the wall thickness of the thru hull is 1/16", then the inside of the thread is only 1/32". Combine that long thread with the valve body and the pipe, you suddenly have a long lever hanging off of 1/32" of metal, that is being corroded by salt water.

tDot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull