Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2021, 09:56   #1

Boat: Brewer 12.8
Nonskid on a Varnished Ladder

What are everybody's favorite ways to achieve non-skid texture on a varnished surface (companionway ladder)?

For context, I redid the finish on my companionway ladders a couple years ago, and the P.O. had some plastic nonskid tread plate type things on there. They were pretty badly weathered and messed up, so I tossed them. After I re-varnished, I put some rectangles of black 3M non skid tape on each step. I thought it looked just fine, and it seemed to accomplish the task of providing traction with minimal effort. However, after just about two years the tape is pretty well worn away (though interestingly the adhesive is sill bonded nicely to the ladder), so now it's time to consider replacing it.

What have people had success with, particularly in a high traffic area? Using sand or salt in the varnish? Just painting it with a patch of some non skid paint?
Macdyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 10:28   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Nonskid on a Varnished Ladder

I tried a non-skid additive. Did not give enough traction, so I went with 3M tape.
TheOffice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 10:50   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I use the 3M black nonskid tape (it used to be referred to as skate board tape) and replace it every three years or so. I used to use strips of the 1” but now I use the 4” wide tape. I have never slipped, regardless of conditions, since I went to the wider tape.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 10:54   #4

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS

We used skateboard grip tape on our gang plank. Still looks, and works, like new after two years. I'd be curious if there is any difference at all with the 3M tape. Main advantage of the skateboard tapes that I noticed was that you can get a wide range of colors.
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 11:24   #5

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
We used skateboard grip tape on our gang plank. Still looks, and works, like new after two years. I'd be curious if there is any difference at all with the 3M tape. Main advantage of the skateboard tapes that I noticed was that you can get a wide range of colors.
I like that idea, never thought to use skateboard grip tapes.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 11:39   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 37

I like the crushed walnuts added into varnish trick - looks beautiful and works very well.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 06:13   #7

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I sprinkled "SoftSand" on wet varnish in taped off areas, and then let it dry, I then added two more coats of varnish to seal the deal. It has held up pretty well so far.
Old 24-09-2021, 07:31   #8

We used 50 feet of 3/8 three strand line tied in a pad knot, with Velcro hand sewn to the underside.

Great nonskid. Traps dirt before it gets into the cabin. Lasts forever. Looks salty. A fun project. What’s not to like?

Sometimes the old traditional ways really are best.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 07:37   #9

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I used the 3M tape and then put a coat of varnish over it and wood. Seemed to stand up well to 4 years of living on the boat.
Old 24-09-2021, 10:21   #10

Boat: Brewer 12.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
We used 50 feet of 3/8 three strand line tied in a pad knot, with Velcro hand sewn to the underside.

Great nonskid. Traps dirt before it gets into the cabin. Lasts forever. Looks salty. A fun project. What’s not to like?

Sometimes the old traditional ways really are best.

Ah! I tied a whole pile of those those (and similar mats) when I worked on schooners; don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll have to knock some of those out when I've got some free time next.
Macdyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 11:41   #11

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I just used the clear stick-on nonskid tape that is like course sand paper. worked well. looked good for a while, but gets dirty.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 12:12   #12

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I use the Interlux Polymeric Non-Skid additive for the top of the varnished bowsprit - if it didn't work well I wouldn't be using it there. After getting the varnish job completed I mask off the top, just inside the edge, and put on a coat of varnish with the spheres added. That's it. It is not very obvious but is very effective.

On my companionway steps I let in 1/4" wide lengths of holly, standing proud a bit. It works well for fore-aft slippage but not to the side of course. But it looks so salty...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 13:45   #13

Next varnish job,
tape off the tread area where you want non-skid.
Get "grip-tex" by awlgrip, wet the taped off area with varnish, then using a tea strainer, salt shaker or similar, shake over the area until consistencies of a fine evenly spread layer of dust covers the varnish.
Then when dry, pull tape, vacuum non-stuck grip-tex off, and varnish entire ladder.
Anticipated longevity is approx. three-five years (three varnishing's) before I find the varnish buildup makes it smooth. Then just do it again. The grip-tex bonds withthe varnish so as the varnish wears from foot traffic the grip-tex will not pop out like sand or walnut shells.

Personally I prefer the extra course grip tex. It is a whiter color, but patina turns golden with varnish.

The shaker provides the even amount. If it is not shaken on, the patterns will show after varnish.
I also use Epiphanes varnish, so thick.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 15:38   #14

If you use a non skid additive, then it's a pain when you do any future re-varnishing. Plus as the varnish wears off the granules of grit, the colour changes in the irregular wear places.
I have three timber steps down into my boat and have tried the lot. The main entrance uses black 5 cm, (2 inch) wide tape specifically designed adhesive non skid tape. Bunnings et al.
Big pluses are 1) it is really conspicuous - you can't miss seeing it 2) it is very cheap and easy to replace when the timber needs re-varnishing 3) it really works well - it does the job.
Both of the other steps use small wooden D profile wood strips (about 1 cm wide) on the steps. This works well unless wet (rare) but are a pain when it comes to re-varnishing as the wood strips usually don't wear evenly.

We tried a white adhesive non skid safety tape but it gets grubby quickly - the black stuff seems OK.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 16:27   #15

We used Lewmar Treadmaster in the teak color. If you can find it, it comes in 11”x5-3/8” with rounded corners. It is really tough and has lasted quite a few years (and still looks great).
rfinklegal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish