Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 11:20   #106

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: NL oil pressure

Yes a64Pilot, that about sums it up. The Kubota problem I mentioned was a small tractor with 5 psi oil pressure. It was run for a while with no catastrophic damage. I personally wouldn't run it like that for long since it surly has long term consequences if not repaired. I wouldn't expect any damage was done to the OP's engine.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 16:48   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Don't need to run it, spin it up decompressed as Wottie suggested should do it. Hope for OP's sake it is just loose rocker arm mount.
Yes sounds like he will escape any damage. Been an interesting thread & good inputs from the hive.
Forgot to say if OP uses air to trace leak put rags over head for initial blast as galleries will have some oil in them.
Gagging to know what it is but certainly sounds like skipperpete & DougR on the right track or maybe kmacdonald if his rocker arm has plugs in it.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 17:13   #108

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Well...

As an update, yes Im an idiot!

Took the valve cover off again and lo and behold the first nut holding the rocker arm in place was only finger tight. So tightened it up, checked the others (which were fine) and started her up and now have an oil pressure of about 47psi. I think somone said it should be around 60psi, but Im assuming 47 is acceptable?

Either way, phew what a result, and what an amazing forum!

In future, assuming I ever attempt to check valves again, i will always check the nuts holding the rocker are in place.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 17:24   #109
Marine Service Provider

Great result!
Look on the bright side you didn't have to take the oil pump out or spend a fortune.
47lb is heaps. Plenty of farm tractors go for years at only 20lb oil pressure
Old 18-05-2020, 17:29   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Well...

Took the valve cover off again and lo and behold the first nut holding the rocker arm in place was only finger tight. So tightened it up, checked the others (which were fine) and started her up and now have an oil pressure of about 47psi. I think somone said it should be around 60psi, but Im assuming 47 is acceptable?

In future, assuming I ever attempt to check valves again, i will always check the nuts holding the rocker are in place.
60 something Is my motor, and motors will differ. Look up the specs but bet 47 is fine, especially if it stays at 47 when it’s hot.
Being as it was cold that probably means that the cold oil relief valve is set at 47 PSI.
Let her run until it’s at normal operating temp and see what the pressure is, that’s the real test actually a hot idle is, but generators don’t idle so don’t worry about it.

Really glad to hear it was a simple fix.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 17:32   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Oh,, and sorry to bring what could be bad news, but if you adjusted valves with the rocker shaft loose, that may mean they are too tight, so now you get check them again, cause a little loose won’t hurt, but too tight might as they can leak and burn, plus valves wear tight so you don’t want to start tight.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 17:45   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Oh,, and sorry to bring what could be bad news, but if you adjusted valves with the rocker shaft loose, that may mean they are too tight, so now you get check them again, cause a little loose won’t hurt, but too tight might as they can leak and burn, plus valves wear tight so you don’t want to start tight.
Yes, good advice. You might want to replace the gasket also. It could be leaking slightly and decreasing the pressure. Glad it wasn't a big deal and you got it fixed.
Old 18-05-2020, 17:52   #113

Nice work olly75[emoji106]. Make damn sure that the rocker cover gasket seals perfectly or else you’ll be wondering why the oil consumption is excessive, that skinny bit in the middle is critical.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 19:36   #114
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Well...

Great result, good work Olly75 . You fixed it and learn new skills in the process. If it makes you feel better, I once had a new Yanmar that had a loose rocker arm support straight from the factory!

Great analysis by skipperpete, DougR and others

interesting thread and I sure many readers who haven't posted in it have learnt good stuff from following it.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 19:44   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Great result, good work Olly75 . You fixed it and learn new skills in the process. If it makes you feel better, I once had a new Yanmar that had a loose rocker arm support straight from the factory!

Great analysis by skipperpete, DougR and others

interesting thread and I sure many readers who haven't posted in it have learnt good stuff from following it.

And it only took 8 pages. Some of the anchor threads go for hundreds of pages and they still haven't figured it out.🤩
Old 18-05-2020, 20:50   #116
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
And it only took 8 pages. Some of the anchor threads go for hundreds of pages and they still haven't figured it out.🤩
Prolly only 1.5 pages of real analysis and diagnostics and 6.5 pages of chatter between the punters
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 20:55   #117

Quote:
Prolly only 1.5 pages of real analysis and diagnostics and 6.5 pages of chatter between the punters
Agreed.
Old 18-05-2020, 21:28   #118

Boat: 44ft mono hull

The gaskets not in mint condition by any stretch, so I've got one on order.

I'll think about adjusting the valves in a couple of days, don't want to push my luck with it just yet!
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 21:35   #119
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
thats real analysis but the chatter between the punters is fun to read too.
Old 18-05-2020, 22:04   #120

Quote:
The gaskets not in mint condition by any stretch, so I've got one on order.

I'll think about adjusting the valves in a couple of days, don't want to push my luck with it just yet!
Just to be clear, I meant the gasket between the rocker arm support and head, if there is one there. If there is one its super thin, like paper or thinner.

Tags
oil