Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2020, 18:57   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: NL oil pressure

If you have a dive compressor, then you likely have dive tanks. A very handy thing to have is a first stage reg with a long hose with a quick change fitting on the hose that you can connect an air blower etc to and fill tires or whatever else you need.
The little aluminum 30 at the far right is set up that way and is great for filling tires etc. sort of a very portable air compressor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2BB4ACE-F2CF-4BA8-98BB-6C261AB1950A.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	215250  
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 19:16   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I think the freeze plug thing applied to a Kubota & the engine concerned is a Shibaura tho they may have the same setup
On the older Volvo Penta 2030 version of this same ISM engine there was a bolt threaded into each end of the rockershaft which secured the end rockers.....don’t know if NL used this, but would be worth a look before going crazy with air hoses......
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 19:23   #93

Boat: 44ft mono hull

If I take the rocker cover off and start her up, assuming it is the rocker shaft leaking, how messy is it likely to get in the engine room?
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 19:26   #94
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

[

EDIT: Or a long line filled with oil and use the air to push the oil into the head and see where the oil escapes. I did think of connecting a water hose to the head but I know that would be too rough for you guys - me too unless I had my back against the wall [/QUOTE]

Not too rough for me Wottie I used a waterblaster to clean out oil galleries when rebuilding the ysm. Worked good, just used CRC & sunlight afterwards.

If the problem turns out to be a plug in the rocker shaft I'd be drilling & tapping for a bolt secured with threadlocker.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 19:28   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
If I take the rocker cover off and start her up, assuming it is the rocker shaft leaking, how messy is it likely to get in the engine room?
Pretty messy I'd imagine. Use the air first
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 19:29   #96
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Very - IMO. But it can be cleaned up .

However try turning the engine on the starter motor only (no start) as a first step. If you remove the injectors, it will spin quite rapidly.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 19:31   #97

I was going to suggest the same as Dougr, good idea but you need to be exceptionally careful doing that with this version because the intake manifold is under the tappet cover and only separated by a thin gasket. With the cover off , lube oil can go to the intake because its just a vertical hole in the head. My thought is that something might be going on with the rocker shaft and possibly the first pedestal where the oil comes out of the head and through the pedestal to the rocker shaft. I’m looking forward to hearing what the actual problem is.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 19:52   #98

Here’s another thought.....the oil flow in this engine goes from the head oil banjo bolt thru a passage in the head to the front rocker arm support, up thru that support bracket and into the rocker shaft....

The rocker support is held to the head by a long stud with a nut on the top of the shaft support bracket, and the stud then continues up thru the valve cover to secure the cover.

When you removed the valve cover to adjust the valves, you inadvertently loosened the front stud in the head which holds down the front rocker support, thereby allowing oil to escape between the head and the rocker shaft support bracket.

Opps....same thought as Pete!
Old 17-05-2020, 20:12   #99

You’re way ahead of me DougR, I’m still thinking about how to invent a way to connect the gauge to the block to get a positive oil pressure reading, the lockdown has dulled my reasoning a bit[emoji4]
Old 17-05-2020, 21:14   #100

Boat: 44ft mono hull

I've got a guy coming out later in the week, so will keep you posted in what he finds.

Thank you all hugely for the input so far
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 21:30   #101
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I've got a guy coming out later in the week, so will keep you posted in what he finds.

Thank you all hugely for the input so far
In the meantime, pop the rocker cover off and check everything is nicely tightened down and the studs are secure etc - it would be embarrassing if he turned up and simply tightened up a loose stud or some such.

Should you so wish that is...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 21:33   #102

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
Here’s another thought.....the oil flow in this engine goes from the head oil banjo bolt thru a passage in the head to the front rocker arm support, up thru that support bracket and into the rocker shaft....

The rocker support is held to the head by a long stud with a nut on the top of the shaft support bracket, and the stud then continues up thru the valve cover to secure the cover.

When you removed the valve cover to adjust the valves, you inadvertently loosened the front stud in the head which holds down the front rocker support, thereby allowing oil to escape between the head and the rocker shaft support bracket.

Opps....same thought as Pete!
Bingo.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 05:32   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
You’re way ahead of me DougR, I’m still thinking about how to invent a way to connect the gauge to the block to get a positive oil pressure reading, the lockdown has dulled my reasoning a bit[emoji4]

Pete,
There is a way to do that......
As you know, Volvo uses these same ISM engines for their line of sailboat propulsion packages, but instead of placing the oil alarm switch up on the head, they place it in the oil gallery on the block. They use a slightly different banjo bolt at the bottom end of the oil feed line. The part of the banjo bolt that goes thru the “banjo” is normal like every other, but the head is slightly different and is drilled and tapped 1/8 npt and connects into the fluid cavity of the bolt. The alarm switch screws in there.

On my 55hp D2-55 there is a VDO combination alarm switch/ gage sender screwed in there. Works fine. The part # for that banjo bolt is #3583575, and the washers are #11992 if you need them.
Old 18-05-2020, 05:47   #104

Excellent solution❗️thanks for that DougR[emoji4]. Cruisers forum is an amazing place and almost every time I’ve been on a thread I’ve gained new knowledge and insights from the collective wisdom here.
Old 18-05-2020, 06:07   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So the take away is that’s it’s sounds like that the engine bottom end actually had good pressure, but the area where oil PSI was sensed lost it, so likely there is no low pressure damage?
Plus as it’s in the head and possibly valve train related, it’s possible that something was loosened when the valves were adjusted?
Possibly a stud that goes through the rocker arm that also has a nut on the end that is used to hold the valve cover on could have spun and loosened on removal and may still be loose and that’s where the pressure is leaking out?

If that is true, wouldn’t it seem logical that a short run with the valve cover off should show the leak? Or at least check the stud for tightness?
I have never seen HP oil be fed to the rocker arm tube myself, especially from an external line, so I learned something myself.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil