Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2019, 22:29   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
NL generator issue

So I have an intermittent issue with my NL genny and was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help.

On a couple of occasions over the last six months I've started the genny as normal but it's not produced any electric power. When I stop and restarted it has worked fine.

This evening I had the same issue so restarted with no luck. I went through the electrical box on the genny, checked all the connections, checked the relays were working and all the fuses and found no issue. So tried starting it under load (the kettle was plugged in ) and it worked fine.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue?
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 04:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: NL generator issue

Which NL Generator? ➥ https://www.northern-lights.com/technicalinformation/
http://www.northern-lights.com/media...dfs/W673-2.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 05:14   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Sounds like a clutch not engaging sometimes. Relays can stick too, on occasion, so that they seem fine when you test them but don't always work.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 09:00   #4

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
So I have an intermittent issue with my NL genny and was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help.

On a couple of occasions over the last six months I've started the genny as normal but it's not produced any electric power. When I stop and restarted it has worked fine.

This evening I had the same issue so restarted with no luck. I went through the electrical box on the genny, checked all the connections, checked the relays were working and all the fuses and found no issue. So tried starting it under load (the kettle was plugged in ) and it worked fine.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue?
If you can get it to start after flashing the field(see manual), I would start looking into why the field lost residual magnetism. Dirt related leakage, would be something to ckeck maybe Corroded wires.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 10:35   #5

Thank you for the responses so far.

I have a NL M643K generator. I can change out the relays as I have a couple of spares, if the clutch is slipping can I check it myself to find out or do I need to get the unit pulled out?

Having just given myself a crach course on 'flashing the filed' on google, I cant find anything relating to it in any of the manuals I have (parts, workshop, installation), could you give more details?

Many thanks
Old 29-07-2019, 10:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
NL generator issue

It has a clutch?
I’m pretty sure that’s not likely
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 11:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It has a clutch?
I’m pretty sure that’s not likely
Good news! Thats one thing off the list
Old 29-07-2019, 12:12   #8

Boat: Tayana FD-12

I have the same generator....I was going to upload my copy but it exceeds the limit.
https://www.northern-lights.com/medi..._pdfs/O101.pdf
See pages 20 and 21. I did a lot of work to it, but never had to even look up a clutch. It does have one but its not a clutch in a sense I though of. PO was saying you need to flash the field,etc, but I never really did. I had to do a lot of work on the fuel side (pump/injectors) and heat exchanger and raw water side. But electrical side works very well. I did go over the electrical side just to see what is what. I took terminals off and cleaned them, those fuses were rusty so i wire-brushed the holders and fuse ends, spec-ed out few spares.
That voltage regulator(AVR) is around 900$ or so. That is the big ticket item. Just hope that is still good.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 13:33   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
NL generator issue

Where is the clutch? Between the engine and generator? Clutch or cushion drive?
When cleaning off electrical connections, I’d recommend a light coat of silicone grease, in an auto supply house, they may call it light bulb grease.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 18:22   #10

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran

Check the brushes to make sure they are not getting short and spring tension is good. Make sure the brush is not stickng in the holder. Check the condition of the slip ring also. Good luck!
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 03:48   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW (couldn't find a shop manual for their smallest genny)
Northern Lights M643K, 4.5kW Generator
Brochure ➥ http://www.devill.net/Documentation/...ights/L572.pdf
Operator’s Manual ➥ https://www.northern-lights.com/medi.../O643-673K.pdf
Operator’s Manual ➥ https://www.northern-lights.com/medi..._pdfs/O101.pdf
Parts Catalogue ➥ https://www.northern-lights.com/medi..._pdfs/P643.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 09:00   #12

Hi, in the operators manual on pages 20-24 shows the brushes and how to service. I have seen them hang up.Take the round end cover off and you should see them.
Old 06-08-2019, 20:07   #13

Did you get it fixed?
Old 06-11-2019, 20:36   #14

To resurect this thread..... and apologies for not repsonding back in August, time really does fly!

Changed the bushes (which didnt look unduly worn) but still had the same intermittent issue, until we were two days into our passage to New Zealand when there was nothing being generated no matter what we did. Needless to say my cunning idea to instal an electric hob and remove gas from the boat backfired......

So for the rest of the passage and since there has been no luck and the genny refuses to produce electricity.

Im wondering if it could be the temperature sensor on the exhaust elbow playing up, if the sensor wasnt working would it stop the genny producing?
Old 06-11-2019, 21:42   #15

If any of the sensors were activated or failed in the activated mode the engine would simply shut down.
There are a number of tests that can be done to verify or dismiss all the usual suspects ( rotor windings, stator, AVR) but they require a good multimeter and a great caution if doing any of the tests with the engine running, bad things can happen if you touch a live circuit.
Do a few simple static checks first, like check the output of the little AC generator and the rectifier/regulator thats bolted to the engine bracket just below it. You can drop off the belt and spin the alternator by hand and check output on the two blue wires.
Check that the isolating switch on the control box actually functions and follow the AC wiring for its entire trip from genset to main panel... often, installers will do a splice or fit a junction box rather than run a single length cable.
Don't despair if is the AVR, an aftermarket one is about $30 from many of the chinese online guys and they work just fine.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator