Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 11:29   #1

Boat: Tayana 37 PH
Newly bought sailboat technical knowledge transfer

My first sailboat!!
I am days away from formal ownership transfer the beautiful Tayana 37 PH.
The current owner did a great job on maintenance and current inventory records. He also generously offered me to work with me on the technical knowledge transfer (days!!!!) until I am comfortable with it.
Now the first question:
What is the best approach in the knowledge transfer without abusing the owner time and efforts?
I was thinking to record short sets of videos of owner explaining each system in details and then review them and make notes.
Please share your tips on how to document the technical aspects of the boat.

Second question:
What material or products you suggest for labeling wires, pipes, valves, switches?
Even though there are some labeling (switches, wires, pipes, valves) present I would like to extend it.
Many thanks!
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 19:04   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Newly bought sailboat technical knowledge transfer

To number cable you can use something like these clip on numbers.

Every switch should be clearly identified as to what it is used for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-08-30 1set Colourful Cable Markers C-Type Marker Number Tag Label 4mm CAT6 eBay.png
Views:	130
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	222245  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 20:39   #3

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Ahoy Captain:
I bought my 32' sloop right from the builder, so it was a learn-as-you-go process.
The first thing I would recommend is that you get an engine "shop manual", not just the owner's manual that tells you what to polish. This will give a lot more useful details, and probably a parts list with numbers for ordering.

"...and make notes":
The second thing I suggest is to start a notebook of what you actually see when you're working on something. That is, not a schematic, but more of a "The red wire that comes out from behind the forward edge of the control panel and disappears behind the cabin liner leads to lights in the head". Six months later you won't have to start back at square one.

Sounds a bit simple-minded, but then so am I.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 21:45   #4

Totally makes sense, Gentlemen.
I am studying all comments.
Old 30-08-2020, 01:05   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Have a look at all relevant video clips on YouTube so that you'll have some knowledge of what he is talking about when he explains things and you can ask intelligent questions to clarify things in your own mind.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 06:23   #6

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Suggest you run through the whole boat with the previous owner from stem to stern, including climbing into the back locker. Then go for a sail and watch carefully as he rigs the sails. Plus get him to show how reefing the sails works. Video works, otherwise takes lots of notes.

Also there is a Tayana Owners group that you should definitely join. Great resource to access all the old questions, plus ask new ones.

https://www.tognews.com/

Lastly the T37 manual would also be useful.

http://www.ftp.tognews.com/ModelDocu...al/Manual1.pdf

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 07:58   #7

Boat: Hunter 310

I agree with the previous comments. I suggest a simple topside template and below the decks template. Go around the boat and have the owner describe and share lessons learned or procedures You should audio tape this and periodicaly snap a picture.
Granfalloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 08:01   #8

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

If the owner is willing to assist, take them up on it. When we bought Breathe 8 years ago, the owner agreed to sail down with us for 4 days teaching us about the boat. It was invaluable! We learned our systems, some of the quirks of the boat, and some best practices.

We had other Manta owners quickly respond in the coming weeks to questions we had. Definitely join your owners group!!!

And now we try to give back. On our journey this year, we ran into a brand new Manta owner and helped him with two issues. And just a few days ago, an owner of only 2 days left his mooring and came to the marina where we are at now and we’ve been providing some guidance and information as they work to refit their boat.

Use your resources. You’ll find most sailors are more than happy to help. Just don’t forget to return the favor some day.

Enjoy your new boat.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 08:15   #9

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
..........Please share your tips on how to document the technical aspects of the boat............
Just to add to the comments above, what I have provided buyers when I sell my boat is a flash drive with equipment manuals, description and age of equipment and parts, e.g., sails, rigging, auxiliaries, list of equipment/electronics manufacturer / model/ serial number / age, maintenance performed / when / engine hours, upgrades made and when, boat specifications with tank capacities, bilge pump capacities, sail inventory, safety equipment, and tips for my experience, bottom paint type and bottom cleaning and zinc change out, hull waxing/ and stainless polishing schedule and a list of go-to contractors.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:12   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

The guy that bought my boat had the same benefit. I offered him the technical support. Not as part of the deal, but just to help him out.

i’d say the main thing is to find out what his preferred form of communication is. For me, that’s texting. So, anytime the new owner has a question about my old boat, he shoot me a text with maybe a picture if he has to. Then I’ll walk him through it. Over text.

I spent one afternoon going through all of the major systems with him and he did show me showing him everything. That’s a good way to do it as well to have a base of knowledge to start from.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 11:34   #11

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Wow. Lucky you - & a nice boat. I would suggest you ask the seller how he prefers to do it - video, voice recordings, or whatever. Also ask him to give you all his computer files on the boat, if he will. Previous invoices, service records, everything he is prepared to let you have. No doubt it will be a valuable information source for you in future as you get to know the boat. If he is prepared to take you out sailing I would definitely take him up on that but I suggest you be gentle. Maybe if he has owned the boat for a while, letting go will be a problem so I suggest you cut him some slack in that area so that you benefit from his accumulated experience. But at the end of the day, when the boat is yours, she will be your boat - so take whatever he is ready to offer you but be ready to draw the line if, as & when you need to do that. Probably never.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 11:56   #12

Very good point, Clivevon.
My offer for money was generously rejected - I will draw line when I feel he is going beyond reasonable efforts and insist to pay. He is going to stay locally for a few months and I will make any effort to comfort him and his wife (her touch is everywhere in the boat) - fishing trips, hang together.. They are really nice couple, put a lot of efforts into the boat but unfortunate circumstances forced them to sell the boat. I got very good deal not much because of money - more about exactly what I wanted and owner dedication to the boat maintenance.
I told him up front - everything found or he decides to reveal after the deal is done will be taken with no blames.
Old 31-08-2020, 00:57   #13

Boat: Moody 42 CC ketch

What a great idea, and a wonderful opportunity, if available.

If you are starting from a point of knowing a bit about boat systems, you will have a good idea what new information you need. My only suggestion is, as others have said, is write it all down.

At the other extreme, we recently helped out an individual on his first day out in his new boat - he had no idea why the 'shore-power' circuit wouldn't work while he was at anchor.
Noisykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 11:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisykate View Post

At the other extreme, we recently helped out an individual on his first day out in his new boat - he had no idea why the 'shore-power' circuit wouldn't work while he was at anchor.
Thank you, Great joke - will make it on my friends..
Old 31-08-2020, 12:56   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Congrats/condolence.
Where's the boat, SoCal or Sea of Cortez?
Do you already know how to sail?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cal, sail, sailboat