Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 18:47   #1

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36
New Windlass - Tigres or H3

I've been doing some looking and narrowed the replacement field down (so far) to two horizontal contenders: Lewmar H3 and Lofrans Tigres. Pau Hana is an IP38, 41.5' LOA, loaded weight close to 15 tons. Our primary anchor is a 60# Manson Supreme on 200' of 3/8" G4 chain (about 360# total). Secondary anchor is a Fortress FX37 with 50' of 3/8" BBB and 175' of rode.

I know the Tigres is a favorite of a lot of people, but what I'm trying to determine is if it is worth the extra $500+ that it will cost over the Lewmar H3 (plus I can get the wireless remote kit for free right now with the H3). One big concern is whether or not the H3 gypsy will handle our G4 chain. Online info says that it handles 3/8" BBB, but doesn't mention G4/HT. I haven't been able to clarify that yet. The Tigres gypsy handles 3/8" BBB and G4/HT, so that's a plus - But it doesn't include a breaker and some other incidentals/accessories like the H3.

So, any advice / recommendations? What do you have and would you get another?

Thanks all.
Old 31-08-2011, 19:38   #2

Boat: Orca 38
Re: New Windlass: Tigres or H3

Hey Daz,

I'm in the process of determining the exact same thing. I too am to a decision making point and my choices are the H3 and Tigres.

Anian is an 18 ton Ingrid Orca and personally I decided just today that it will be a Tigres. The chain issue helped sway my decision. I believe the H3 to be an outrageous windlass as well, but that's based strictly on what I've read and discussed with othere, I have no experience with it first hand.

The Tigres I am a little more familiar with and during my research I found a whole lot more positive reviews than I did with the H3. I'm going to have to defer to the herd this time, and by the numbers and that would be the Tigres.

Just how I decided. Both I believe are well built machines.

John
Old 31-08-2011, 19:54   #3

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

You might want to consider what power each windlass develops - 1200 watts, 1500 watts? - and what torque each can develop for retrieving chain.
I can't believe that a single gypsy could use either BBB or G4 - they are about 10 per cent different in length. Perhaps it is that each manufacturer offers a gypsy that can work with your chain.
Late to the party but I like Ideal windlasses - developed for commercial fishermen...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47   #4

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Thanks John, I'm leaning the same way.

Michael - You're correct. What I should have written was the Tigres is available with a 3/8 BBB or a 3/8 HT gypsy. I'll see if I can edit the post. (EDIT - Nope, too much time has gone by...)
Old 01-09-2011, 14:10   #5

Boat: Trismus 37

I think you will find that the Tigres started of with a 900 watt motor, then 1000, then 1200watt, the winch mechanicals havn't been altered or upgraded . That being said It is a very robust windlass and would probably have no difficulty coping with a 1500 watt motor.
There are some like the Muir windlasses that the spindle of the motor is continuous with the worm drive machined onto it so if you needed to replace a burnt out motor you basically have to replace the gearbox as well, the Muir gearbox isn't anywhere as robust as the Tigres.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 14:16   #6

FWIW, we have been disappointed in the power of the H3, pulling, typically, 100 feet of chain and then a 40 pound Bruce.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:05   #7

Thanks for the responses.

After much discussion, we've decided to go with the Tigres. Next step - Sourcing a proper breaker for it, our current breaker is only 60 amp so it needs to be replaced.

Any suggestions on breaker model and/or source?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:18   #8

Boat: Orca 38

I've been giving this a lot of thought, discussion and research as well. I'm also redefining some cheesy bow rollers, adding a bridle and basically configuring my anchoring capabilities for the very first time.

Before I pull the trigger on the Tigres I'd like to hear some thoughts on this subject.

Anian is 36,000 lbs of sailing bliss. I wonder why the ratings for windlasses are always by length. Would the displacement be a better guide?

The Tigres being quoted as suited to boats in the 30'-45' range. Is my 18 ton 38' requirement the same as a 10 ton 38' requirement? I find that hard to believe.

I plan on using an all chain rode (300') and have been thinking that if and when I am ready to go voyaging, 2 all chain rodes would be better. Wouldn't it be smarter to go with the Lofrans Falkon model instead? 1500 watt motor and dual gypsies. Can I use my nylon/chain rode in the meantime with a chain gypsy? Are two chain rodes overkill?

Am interested in opinions.

John
Old 02-09-2011, 19:29   #9

FWIW, I based my windlass selection criteria on the weight of my primary ground tackle, not the displacement of the boat (of course ground tackle selection should be based on more than just LOA, so it is somewhat related). One general method I read was to multiply the weight of your tackle by a factor of four and make sure your windlass can handle that.

My 220 feet of 3/8" G4 weighs about 320 pounds, and I have a 60 pound Manson Supreme on the end of that for a total of about 380 pounds. 380*4=1520 and the Tigres has a power rating of 1540 pounds (~70% of stall load).

4X+ seems like a pretty good safety margin, especially when you consider that fact that I break the anchor out with the boat and just use the windlass to haul the gear aboard.
Old 02-09-2011, 20:01   #10

Boat: Bluewater Ingrid 38 Ketch- September

I ended up with the Tigres. Check out Rigging Only for pricing. I couldn't buy a H3 locally for the same money and got a breaker and control with it. 30K lb Ingrid 3/8 HT chain and 75 lb CQR.

John
jrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44   #11

Thanks for the Rigging Only recommendation John - I ordered my new Tigres from them today. Saved me a few hundred...
Old 06-09-2011, 13:09   #12

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

I have a tigress... on my cat. Love it. Two years no issues at all.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:12   #13

Hi, I have just read your mail about the tigress windlass. I want to put one on my IP38 as well. Can you let me know how your installation went and, in particular, were you able to position it so that the chain dropped vertically into the chain locker? It looks as though the rear of the windlass might be close to the inner forestay. Any help would be gratefully received as I am 3000 miles from the boat and so can't do any survey/measuring. Brian Minchin
brian minchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:01   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Brian.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windlass