Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 13:07   #1

Boat: Southerly 110
Send a message via Skype™ to Sten
New Windlass ?

My Lewmar Sprint 1000 windlass (on my Southerly 110) has ceased to function after just four seasons. As the reputation of this peace of equipment is dubious I am considering to replace it with another type. The already made hole in the deck, the existing teak base and the rather cramped space in the chain locker however, calls for advise: Does anybody have any experiences, what should I do? Sten (Troldand)
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 13:36   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I'm also considering my options.. It actually seems quite hard to find good, heavy windlasses in the EU Any input welcome..
Old 04-04-2010, 15:34   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sten View Post
My Lewmar Sprint 1000 windlass (on my Southerly 110) has ceased to function after just four seasons. As the reputation of this peace of equipment is dubious I am considering to replace it with another type. The already made hole in the deck, the existing teak base and the rather cramped space in the chain locker however, calls for advise: Does anybody have any experiences, what should I do? Sten (Troldand)
Mine 1000 is about to give up too, after 5 seasons!

I repaired the gypsy last year and the gears are not sounding good now. I have been considering a horizontal unit or going to the 1500. I use 60' of chain and the rest is 1/2" rode. I can imagine if I would have used all chain.

''standing by''
Old 04-04-2010, 15:53   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
For all chain rodes the Maxwell VXR series is as good as it can get.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 16:13   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I just put a Lofrans Tigre on my boat. 1200 watts. They're one of the more popular ones in this area. The model's been around 25 years so it's pretty trusted. They have 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 gypsies available, includes a rope capstan, manual override and has a snubber cleat on the top of the winch. It's all shiny too.

I took a 30 year old James Nilsson off which says something about that company too I guess. Like Maxwell it's a New Zealand company. James has passed it on to his children and grand children.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 17:59   #6

Boat: Farr 46
Unfortunately, like so many other NZ companies,Maxwell is no longer NZ owned - it was bought by Vetus a year or 2 ago.
I can vouch for the original Nilsson capstans -I have a V3000 and soon it will be going to Nilssons for a new gypsy, maybe a reversing motor, rechrome the drum and cap and it will be good for another 25 yrs.
Nilssons continue to make a line of very solid capstans
Marinheiro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 19:23   #7

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Hi guys, what exactly failed on the lewmars, I have just installed a lewmar vertical windlass, 10mm gypsy, with a 700watt motor on my 31' fibreglass sloop, it is the s/steel V1 windlass, works perfectly.
Anything I should watch out for with these windlasses?
Cheers from Keith.
Old 04-04-2010, 19:49   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Yes Nilsson is great... I thought they were part of Maxwell but apparently not....

I almost don't dare to ask now, but Maxwell being Vetus... is the Maxwell windlass a Dutch product now? ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 19:50   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The Lewmar's are all-gear reduction drive, whereas the Maxwells and Nilssons are a worm gear drive, which has less moving parts to go bad.

I haven't had mine apart yet but I suspect the teeth on the smaller gears are going bad from the sounds of it turning. Leverage is the key word. Worm gears are stronger if built with the proper materials.
e.g. This 8"-600 psi 4-way ball valve takes a 10 ft. cheater bar to turn by hand when it's clean but when it's full of crude coke and seizes up that worm gear drive on it can twist that 4" SS coupler shaft. Sorry, it is sideways, the CF Manager has turned it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2877.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	14738  
Old 05-04-2010, 12:28   #10

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes Nilsson is great... I thought they were part of Maxwell but apparently not....

I almost don't dare to ask now, but Maxwell being Vetus... is the Maxwell windlass a Dutch product now? ;-)
They used to be operating jointly - my boat previously had a Maxwell-Nilsson on it..

I guess the product is as Dutch as all Philipps mp3 players "made in malaysia"
Old 23-08-2010, 18:11   #11

Rebuilt Nilsson? Chao!

I have the V3000 and went to remove the unit and it fell a part around the flange. I apparently need a casing? How much did it cost to ship and rebuild the unit in NZ? Did it take a long time to get the unit back? I know this is an old post but it's a good match for what I am about to embark on --a trip down windless rebuilding lane... Chao!
China Doll is offline   Reply With Quote