Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 11:23   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: New vs Old

The old verse the new is mostly driven by those who don't really know much about the new!

While I will accept an older boat may be built stronger, it is kind of wasted strength. If you are driven into the rocks it probably isn't going to matter much. Today's computer designed stuff is just stronger for the weight than the old stuff.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:36   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Just buy the boat you like the look of, the feel of, can afford, and afford to maintain, and what you feel is fit for purpose.
I'm more than happy with my 10 yr old Bene.
The previous top man in the outfit I work for has a 100' Swan, but I know I do more miles per year than he does (on the other hand he's well into his 80's)
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 00:43   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
The old verse the new is mostly driven by those who don't really know much about the new!

While I will accept an older boat may be built stronger, it is kind of wasted strength. If you are driven into the rocks it probably isn't going to matter much. Today's computer designed stuff is just stronger for the weight than the old stuff.
Although firmly in the older boat club , I do quite like Beneteaus etc - and depending on circumstances (like wanting to keep a low maintainance / wipe down boat somewhere warm) would buy one..........however I do still struggle with the modern concept of building boats out of veneered mdf
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 01:05   #19

On my last boat, I got a 'nice' boat. But, being who I am, I changed a number of things to make them more for my liking.

So in effect I paid a premium for a 'OK' working light fixture, and then paid a premium for a new fixture, and labor to change it.

My 'new' new boat is completely gutted, and I got it for next to nothing. It will be assembled EXACTLY how I like it and i will know every wire in it.

But... ya know... If I could afford a new hinkley I might learn to live with its imperfections:-)
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 03:55   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Really the old verse new, and semi-custom verse production debate is flawed!

You really have to talk about specific models of boats to compared. Not all old boats were solid, not all new boats are light etc. In other words not all Xs are better than Ys.
Old 13-09-2011, 09:22   #21
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37
sail to weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Off topic, but...

I keep reading this in various places and have decided that I must be scum! Doesn't matter where I go we end up having to beat into weather along the way.
Couldn't agree more - it seems like it happens everywhere we go. Doesn't matter if the passage starts out with wind on the stern quarter, before a few hours go by, the wind switches to on the nose. And generally builds even though it's never in a forecast.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 09:23   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

they slam and pound when not loaded properly and squat in the slip .
you must load for trim and ride. and where is the character and the clipper bow???
there is no character in the newer production stuff and all look the same.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 09:36   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: new vs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
They only slam if you dont know how to drive them..
+1 (Of course, a lot of the older boats never slam when going to weather because they can't get up enough speed to do so.)
Old 13-09-2011, 09:42   #24

Light and strong is good, heavy and strong is good. Each will have it's idiosyncrasies. You will get used to them. I have turned toward the light side over the years... too many heavy boats that wouldnt go through a 3-5ft chop/windwaves at all.... even motorsailing. I also dislike hobby horsing caused by old desgins with short waterline and prefer the more jerky motion of a modern design to the old school death roll in large swells. Everyone liked my Hans Christian 38 but me! You couldnt get that boat to go through heavy chop for anything.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 10:00   #25

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: new vs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
+1 (Of course, a lot of the older boats never slam when going to weather because they can't get up enough speed to do so.)
Many of the new boats do not slam since they are flat AFT and have narrow entry.

Some older boats do not slam, but they stop with every wave - they have 'too much' displacement fore.

An older design with a fine entry is indeed very fine for upwind sailing. A new design with broad aft is indeed very nice for downwind ... ;-)

Oh my, I bet one day we will have boats that can change shape depending on whether the leg is up- or down-wind. Meanwhile, it is all in a compromise and in a choice.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 10:07   #26

"Oh my, I bet one day we will have boats that can change shape depending on whether the leg is up- or down-wind. Meanwhile, it is all in a compromise and in a choice."
Yeah.... I'm thinking a double ender design with a rig that rotates 180 degrees and a center cockpit, then you can sail the boat from the front or back! :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 10:29   #27

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Yeah.... I'm thinking a double ender design with a rig that rotates 180 degrees and a center cockpit, then you can sail the boat from the front or back!
That's called a proa
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 09:22   #28

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
would rather have my 1976 formosa on a bad grounding than a new anything in the same position.

Just wondering about the remark, Are you Bragging about running Hard Aground, or just showing your mentality..............
They created depth sounders and sonar for that purpose of not doing so.. and then there is that stick that makes your boat go fast and slow.. Try going Very slow in unknown waters..............
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 12:00   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Just wondering about the remark, Are you Bragging about running Hard Aground, or just showing your mentality..............
They created depth sounders and sonar for that purpose of not doing so.. and then there is that stick that makes your boat go fast and slow.. Try going Very slow in unknown waters..............

ye think that will keep ye off a lee shore????? lol
many years before i bought this boat, she wa slaid over on the breakwall in santa barbara for a week.
boats breakaway from moorings, an danchjors do drag. even well set ones CAN do so..
you think you are immune to a hard grounding is when you WILL have one.
i have been sailing for over 55 yrs, and have yet to ground hard. i use not merely instruments, but my EYES and my EARS, the most important equipment possible to have on board. i also have much experience sailing lee shore, as pacific coast is just that.
as i have said, i would rather have a hard grounding in my boat than in a new one. mine will be able to be removed with minimal damage. (unless someone decides to burn it for me)
the person asking me the question seems to be verbalizing a lack of knowledge. would be a great idea for you to actually SAIL a bit before sniping the way in which you have.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 12:14   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Age is not big factor for boats. What matters more is design, maintenance and upgrades.

There can be 50 year old boats that are much more suited to cruising than one right out of the mold.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote