Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2021, 12:35   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
New Dodger windows

My dodger is getting worn out, so time to replace. The current dodger has removable side panels and has front windows that flip up to lay across the top.

I like the side panel design, but not so much the way the front panels flip up. I also don't want to have rollup windows. What I'm thinking to do is make these front panels as removable also.

Do you think this would work? And how would I fasten them back in place - zippers, or clips or what?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	234638   Click image for larger version

Name:	dodger1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	234639  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	234640  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 17:03   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New Dodger windows

What's your objection to rolling them up? and tying them up? (If you use dark webbing, a strop and loop closure works well enough.) The reason I ask is that if they, too, are zip out, the zip at the top can allow rain in, or if it has a flap, then it makes it harder to start the zip, plus you have to use jacket type zippers, so they can be started. It will be harder, perhaps impossible to make it weather - tight. Also, you have to consider a way to store them that will not scratch them. (Pouches sewn from bed-sheet material would do, and they could go under the v-berth.)

If you still want to give it a go, I would have zips on top and sides, and clips or snaps on the bottom, it's just that I don't think you'll be happy with the finished product.

If the part other than the windows is still sound, I would just have the sailmaker replace the window part to get clearer panels. Expect to pay a lot, even for just replacing the clears, unless you're doing the work yourself. If you are, think it through very carefully before you do any cutting. You can use the parts you cut away to make snap strops if you keep the roll up function.

Ann

Tags
wind, dodger