Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2022, 08:13   #16

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: New Dodger and Bimini leaks. A lot.

You should first talk to whoever made the cover. But I've had very good results from using the waterproofing products that can be sprayed or brushed on. Used the product sold at West Marine. Not only seals the fabric and the needle holes, but also protects against UV. We have a big cockpit and full cover, a lot of area. Last time I applied the waterproofing I put it in a garden sprayer and that made application a quick job. It looks dark when sprayed on, but in an hour or so the normal color returns and your cover will be waterproof.
Old 26-04-2022, 08:34   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

If seams around windows leak they are sewed wrong. If the canvas is leaking it’s not sealed and they bought sumbrella from the wrong list. It can be sprayed but damn!
I hope you get satisfaction it’s a big investment.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 08:54   #18

Boat: Seaward 22

On my Pontoon boat, I have a gigantic sunbrella cover. New ones don't leak. After 3 or 4 years, it needs waterproofing. I take it home, and spread it on a tarp. Clean it according to directions. Then i use the liquid waterproofing in a garden sprayer and wet it out. Then do it a second time. This usually lasts at least a year.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 09:25   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Wrong cloth used. Or bad workmanship.

I make ours. They do not leak new, and only hardly when about 3+ years old.

I use plain acrylic sunbrella substitute.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 09:26   #20

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How to Create Waterproof Seams ~ by SailRite
➥ How-to-Create-Waterproof-Seams
Glen Raven, Inc. [manufactures Sunbrella fabric] recommend 303® Fabric Guard™, available in the United States, and Tex’Aktiv, available internationally, for RETREATING Sunbrella fabrics, after repeated thorough cleanings, or years of use, and exposure.
A question here:

Is it safe to use this product on a rain-catching awning? Although our Sunbrella awning is in good condition it seeps in general and the drips annoy us. We collect drinking water with this awning. If we apply this water proofing product is there risk of chemical contamination?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1434-New Canvas.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	256698  
Old 26-04-2022, 09:38   #21

I use this:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/w...-0765305p.html
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 09:41   #22

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakerChuck View Post
Canvas pro here.

Most new covers will leak the first couple of times they get wet. Don't panic, yet.

Exactly. This is also our experience with 3 new dodgers/biminis. Give it a little time.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 09:48   #23

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
Thanks all.

I’ll have the builder waterproof the seams. Not leaking anywhere through the sunbrella itself. Just where the stitching was done and a space that might need a Velcro flap between the bimini to dodger connecting piece.
Geeze, we have a pro here, no one listening to KayakJacks post?

Very informative and addresses why and where the leaks seem to be.
Give it a chance to swell back up around the Stich holes.

Then have YOUR canvasser do ANY sealing, you may be voiding any warranty implied, by applying any coating prematurely.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 09:52   #24

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
A question here:

Is it safe to use this product on a rain-catching awning? Although our Sunbrella awning is in good condition it seeps in general and the drips annoy us. We collect drinking water with this awning. If we apply this water proofing product is there risk of chemical contamination?
Without actual proof ...id say there is contamination, if freshly applied.
You'd need to read the product info.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 11:48   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

In desperation, I have used a drop of superglue in each stitch hole, to very good and long term effect, on older material, not like in this case.

Listen to the pros!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 12:01   #26

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

When I designed and created my custom enclosure using Sunbrella Supreme and PTFE thread, all the top Bimini seams have concealed internal two-sided basting tape, as that Gore Tenara PTFE thread is very slippery and would otherwise create leakage paths.

The top has remained leak free for almost a decade.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 12:40   #27

A new dodger and bimini should not leak when new. Talk to builder before doing anything else. Get him/her to remedy problem. You should not be putting sealer at this point.
Sophia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 12:45   #28

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Some leak the first time, then are OK after they have dried out. I usually wet canvass with a hose and soak it well, just clean water NO DETERGENT. Next shower it seems OK.

However--If it continues to leak--there is a solution involving a paintbrush--some white spirit, and some UV resistant silicone roofing and guttering sealant.

One dissolves the silicone in the white spirit and saturates the canvass with the stuff. NO SMOKING--and do it so the fumes do not get inside the vessel. Once the entire thing has been treated, the silicone is inside the material and no amount of water can get through that. This is DANGEROUS--so all care needs to be taken and a proper mask with carbon filters worn. It is better to remove the bimini and put it into a container and soak it in there, then take it outside to evaporate off the solvent. You can waterproof almost anything made of non-UV degradable fibres using this comparatively cheap trick.

As a precaution, it is unlikely that the white spirit will dissolve synthetic canvass, but try a small bit of off-cut or a small patch first just to make sure.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 13:05   #29

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Sunbrella recommends Fabric Guard, as other posters have noted, and you should respect their knowledge. You should only use that from the beginning. Do not use silicone sealants. Once used then nothing else will adhere except silicone-based products. If you do use silicone it will be effective, just not what the manufacturer recommends. I do not remember anything bad happening when I used silicone on an early dodger - but that was a long time ago.

My first dodger was very well built. When I had it replaced the new one did not have a hem down the middle - the canvas worker had used a single piece of fabric for the span. Since the curve was small this allowed a puddle to form in the middle of the dodger, and of course that seeped through. (Sunbrella is water resistant, not waterproof, and just the pressure of a shallow puddle is enough to drive water through.) What I learned is that a hem keeps the center taught and prevents puddling. I think that my original dodger was also made from a single piece of fabric, folded over in the middle to form a hem. A later dodger omitted the flaps covering the zippers and would also leak through the zippers. Just because someone claims to be a professional does not mean that they actually know what they are doing...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 15:46   #30

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Our last boat had the same canvas for almost 15 years and was still serviceable when sold. The canvas on our present boat is 12 years old and does not leak. Every year the top is washed with a little laundry detergent then rinsed well. After drying for a sunny day or two, it's treated with 303 protectorant. Most people spray it from the 32 oz bottle but I have found that it works much better by rolling it on. Thoroughly coat it until it appears wet on the inside as well as the outside . After the outside is done, the seams are recoated from the inside with the spray bottle. Amazon has the 303 in gallon containers. Our 43' express cruiser takes about 3/4 gallon per application. Canvas goes from the windshield to the transom.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, dodger, leaks