Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 17:59   #46

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: New deck hatches, how large?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Yes, Matt.

We've been underway this morning, just now got to the computer, while Jim is getting out the hookah.

In our case, the dam is the height of the hatch, and has 4 drainholes per each, about 5 cm from the corners.

We rarely dog the hatches, except at sea, the one over the V berth.

Saw the pic of the dorade on the S-42. It will let more air in if the cowl is aimed towards the direction from which the wind is blowing.

Ann

PS I'll be back later, stuff to do now.

A.
Have fun watching Jim blow bubbles.

I assume the Dorade on the S-42 rotates, it is probably turned back towards the deckhouse for storage.
Old 06-09-2015, 18:01   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Gilow,the next to last one. If you expand it,you can see two or three of them. They're like polar bears, you can't make them out against the snow.
A bit like polar bears they are pretty darn big too. Silly me, I will blame the Ipad, not the best for viewing this stuff.
Old 06-09-2015, 18:16   #48

Well, this is what I love about C.F. I head in with one thing on my mind, and end up with a whole lot of new thinking.

So we went down to the boat armed with cardboard boxes (recently purged from the moving boxes, moved house four years ago, still unpacking.). Mocked up a few of the ideas and considered the implications.

Panope, we tried your setup. It would work on our boat if the hatch was much closer to the deckhouse, but where it currently sits it was going to snag absolutely everything, from the jib sheets, to the staysail, to any passing humans. Moving it closer to the deckhouse is not an option because of the mast, which I am told it is a rather important component of the boat. On the upside, it would make an excellent mid-deck hand hold, not to be sneezed at because the trip across our foredeck is a long journey without any form of support. Thankfully we already have a forward facing seat, there's a liferaft stored just in front of the deckhouse that doubles as a nice seat, though I suspect this is not good for it. Mostly when we are under way, people just sprawl out on towels and things in this area anyway.

So on balance I will stick with the flush hatches, but thank you for the idea.

As for the Dorades, I agree, they will be needed. There are a number of options for this, but in keeping with the issue around a mid-deck seat/hatch, I am inclined to keep them back near the deckhouse, much like the picture I posted earlier. They will be less effective in a following wind, but in most situations I can envisage with a following wind, the deckhouse itself is a giant aft-facing Dorade that will collect a lot of air. In all but the worst conditions I expect the storm hatches to be out, if they are in place then we'll just have to cope with stuffy uncomfortable conditions below decks.

Thanks again to all for the excellent ideas, left-field thinking and sharing of wisdom.

Matt

Tags
deck, hatch