Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 16:19   #16

Re: New counter tops?

I've had a couple boats done with tile. Came out very nice, pick colors so you can use medium or dark grout. Use Flexible mastic to put the tile down. No problems. Nice to be able to jst put a hot pan on the tile too. One boat was done in 92, saw a picture and the tile still there. Also put it around the heater stove (vertical). The hard part with tile is cutting all the tile around the icebox lids etc... anywhere with an exposed edge like that should be wood trimmed. I used Rosewood. Had a tile layer do the whole galley on the weekend.... I think it was $200.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 17:49   #17

Boat: Balboa 27

Another vote for solid surface. Since you're probably only going to need relatively small pieces you can make the rounds of the local countertop folks and ask to see their scrap pile (partial sheets left over from projects). You can pick this stuff up super cheap (often a 6-pack will do it). Another advantage of solid surface is that is can be cut/routed with normal woodworking tools.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:03   #18

Boat: 1987 Morgan 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate999 View Post
Yes looks very good. Did you remove the fiddles when installed?
No, you cut this stuff about a inch too big and lay it in there kind of forcing it right up to the fiddle. Then use a razor blade to trim to fit - a sharp blade is very key.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:09   #19

Boat: Slocum 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwoods View Post
No, you cut this stuff about a inch too big and lay it in there kind of forcing it right up to the fiddle. Then use a razor blade to trim to fit - a sharp blade is very key.

Great. Thanks. That's been my biggest concern - the fiddles. I may try this on my boat. Easy enough to pull the sink too. The rest sounds pretty strait forward.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 13:11   #20

I ordered the stuff off Amazon. Here's the product website, tutorials and how-to's are there.

There is the option for a "dry install" instead of the wet. I did the wet and think it would be crazy to do it dry. I soaked it pretty good and that made it really easy to maneuver the stuff around and make it fit just right and get air bubbles out.

The biggest thing is have a sharp razor and be ready to go through them. A sharp edge makes getting around fiddles and edged so much easier. But if you mess up a little, the stuff is very forgiving. Once it dries, you can hardly tell anything went wrong unless you know just where to look.
Old 05-11-2013, 13:44   #21

Kinda cool stuff.... so I guess it's just like applying a Boat name decal.. 2mil thick... that's .002" right? about half the thickness of a human hair!
Wasnt it hard to do with the fiddles on? seems like it would fold and wrinkle up when you tried to force it into the corner...?
Any issues with the stuff terminating at the exposed edge of like the ice box lid etc? peeling up there etc?
I mean... it's not like a new Corian or tile countertop, but for a quick redo...hmmmm

Old 05-11-2013, 14:00   #22

I wouldn't say it was hard to do with the fiddles on, a little tedious in some spots but not hard. It's thick enough that you can work it into corners without wrinkling so much that it can't be smoothed out. After a few cuts, you get the hand of it, there is no gap at all between the fiddles and the counter top except in on spot where a thin sliver about 6 inches long is noticeable if you really examine it hard - that was our first attempt to cut around the fiddles and we had the blade too vertical so the space is about the width of the razor's edge.

We had to be careful around those exposed edges to shave it down just enough to prevent it from catching or rubbing when opened and closed. We did that by just covering it completely (so the pattern matches) and then running the razor around the gap between lid and counter; essentially cutting the lid out. Then shave the edges with The entire thing has adhesive on the back so it glues down pretty completely. It's been a couple of months of Houston summer and humidity and none of it has peeled up or even hinted at it.

We did this instead of corian as a bit of a interim fix with the idea of getting corian next year. I gotta say, we may decide to go quite a bit longer with this stuff. It's pretty nice.
Old 05-11-2013, 18:35   #23

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I was looking on Tap Plastics for a head project. If cost is a factor, they have 1/32 opaque solid colors 24"X47" for $7.55. Of course they have HDPE, Starboard, and PVC in thicker sheets, but you're limited to white or grey.
Old 05-11-2013, 18:48   #24

When it comes right down to it, tile is doable in a day if you just have a flat countertop and do your planning well. Flush Ice box lids will make it longer.

Old 07-11-2013, 17:14   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon

Thanks for all the input. I'm looking at large format ceramic tile. I found some locally that is as large as 32X32. Grout lines will be minimal and weight isn't bad. Going to the boat tomorrow to measure. If it turns out good I'll post some pic's

Len
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 17:21   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
If you go the epoxy grout route, it will last forever and not stain. Keep a spare tile or two or you will break one for sure, as long as you have a replacement, you'll never need it. Has to be some kind of reverse Murphy's law
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 18:37   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon

Yes I'll go with the good grout and keep some spare material around. I think your on to something with the reverse Murphy's law. I have spare from a boat I don't even own along with tile for a house I sold year's ago.

Thanks,

Len
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:08   #28

Use mastic to bed the tile... it stays somewhat flexible.

Old 08-11-2013, 13:00   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Use mastic to bed the tile... it stays somewhat flexible.
Yes and there is this product that looks like milk, I think maybe it's latex based? Anyway it increases the flexibility even more than if mixed with water
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 13:13   #30

Re: New Counter Tops?

The mastic I'm talking about is yellowish and comes in a bucket, no mixing... pre mixed. Just trowel it on evenly with a V notched trowel... very small notches.... doesnt have to be too thick. Sticky enough it holds tile on vertical or horizontal surfaces... but you can still move them around while installing...