Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2009, 19:38   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
pblais, thanks, would love to see more cd30 ideas. We have a bunch here and they have a great set up, but they are all singles, I'd like a double. Sounds like I will have to have one made. My idea is a roller mounted on each side of the sprit, but what will that do to the entrance of the rode..sigh. Will start making sketches, and of course, I will be constantly designing it in my head. Another idea is staggered single rollers to accommodate two anchors on the narrow sprit.
You all are great to listen to what must be a eye glazing topic! (unless its your own bowsprit
Thanks again
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 19:39   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You don't need to oil the back side. Oil is a UV thing not a preservative issue. I would wipe it down before the sealant is applied though. The boat side may also need some cleaning. Try to clean off all the residue from the old sealant. They make adhesive remover. Nasty stuff but it can remove 5200 residue if you have any on the deck. Clean is the word for prepping for sealant. Once it's mounted you can use what ever finish you fall in love with.

I would also decide on the bow roller before mounting too. If you need some long horizontal holes they can be done straighter off the boat. The wood work should be completed, then you dry fit, and finally mask off the boat put a lot of sealant on and then finalize the mounting. I would then bed the roller once it's completed.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 21:06   #18

Boat: Farrier f27
Hi OG,
I'm thinking a saddle out of stainless with a roller on each side. On each side of the roller have a vertical plate or cheek maybe 2" larger than the roller and enough area to place a pin to capture your ground tackle. That old roller looked pretty scary to me - in any kind of chop the chain or rode would pop off and then you'd have a fine mess.
By the way that is a very nice piece of teak and it sounds like it's not plantation teak either with the oil content. I have teak envy !

Good Luck & get that boat out under sail!
Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 21:10   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Hey! Where are the before pictures of this nice hunk of wood?

We don't want to wait until it is all installed to see it.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 21:58   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
FrankZ
The Teak "pin up" is in my bowsprit project album. Please no drooling, its too embarrassing. Besides, I have drooled enough for all of us .

Randy, I am going sailin ASAPBIC (as soon as project bowsprit is completed). The roller you are describing is what I am thinking of making. Have you seen one before?
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 06:08   #21

Boat: Farrier f27
A friend made one for his 47' because he had that issue of his chain rode popping off when anchored in the infamous Lahaina roadstead. The way I'm thinking it's got to be custom fabricated to the dimensions of your sprit. The rollers themselves could be purchased though
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowsprit