Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 16:47   #1

New Bimini Cost?

Our Brewer 42 needs a new bimini (dodger is in good condition). How much can I expect to pay? She is presently in Indian Town, Fl.
Old 12-12-2009, 17:05   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
About $2000, 2 rail bimini.
Old 13-12-2009, 04:44   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
WOW seems high but have not done it-so im unaware of prices
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 04:53   #4

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
....are you using existing stainless?

Anyway, Vasco's estimate is probably right on the money. I have a quote in my hand for my 34' on my existing Stainless...for $1,100...boot cover/ connecting piece are not included.
Old 13-12-2009, 05:10   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Lots of options for making this stuff and quality materials and workmanship can slide the price all around. Anyone good can come to the boat and show you where the options might apply to your boat.

I would agree with Vasco on a basic 2 rail all 316 stainless frame with a good fabric like Sunbrella. You want good 316 fittings and they are not cheap. There are always details to work out securing the frame in the best way.

Take a look at Stamoid too it's a smoother fabric made from a laminated material. Comes in white or white on the outside and a color on the inside. White is cooler. The blue you see all over fades the least over time as does Greene. Red, tan, and all buff colors fade quickly in Sunbrella. It's the pigment not the fabric so the fabric should not care if it is faded.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 06:54   #6

Thanks for the info. The new top will go onto our existing stainless and tie into the dodger. Can anyone recommend a company in the Stuart area?
Old 13-12-2009, 18:16   #7

Boat: Caliber 40
I'm interested in what folks have to say on this, too. Particularly if anyone has had a bimini made strong enough to support a solar panel or two on top.

Jason
Caliber 40 hull #55
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 18:29   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
My bimini has 1 1/2 rails and ties into my arch. I think it would easily support panels. Another 393 I know has 1 inch rails and has panels.
Old 13-12-2009, 18:31   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44
On mine it is the stitching that is failing. I think the thread didn't have uv protectetion the fabric seems fine. I just keep running seems through the sewing machine.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 19:50   #10

Boat: Catalina 470
New Bimini - Stuart, FL (and Solar Array info)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutWench View Post
Can anyone recommend a company in the Stuart area?
Stout Wench,
I had a new bimini (and dodger) made for my boat (47' sloop) last year, by GG Canvas of Stuart, FL.... 772-283-4709.....Ask for Jim Gioia....
www.ggcanvas.com
They did an excellent job....very high quality....and very reasonably priced (actually cheaper than some questionable quality products)....

I have photos and a brief article about my new dodger and bimini, posted here
Bimini

3 years ago, I mounted 520 watts of solar, above my bimini....and since then, I've sailed ~10,000 miles offshore, including 2 Atlantic crossings, and many gales, etc. as well as sailed 3 days offshore thru TS Olga....and had no problems at all....
I have a detailed article (with my real world, offshore sailing, results) and photos of my solar array mounted above the bimini here
Solar Panels

I hope this helps...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 20:20   #11

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Sailrite Sells Sunbrella Fabrics, Sailcloth, Sail Kits, Canvas and Sail Hardware, Gill Foul Weather Gear

seriously, if you want to keep spending those kinds of prices every 5 years or so... .go for it. i bought a sailrite sewing machine, the material, including thread, zippers, sunbrella, and everything else to make our own for about what you will pay for one bimini.

Sure the first one I make will not be up to professional standard, but it will be mine. I guess the second one will be better, and the third one will be on the money.. and the forth might be for someone else for profit...

same goes for cushions. Recently had someone offer to do the work for $60 bucks per cushion... I was tempted.. but then remembered that it would be a waste of my practice time. I need that more than I need custom cushions that look like they were made by a professional.
But thats just me.

bob
Old 14-12-2009, 05:02   #12

Boat: Catalina 470
Bimini's

Bob,
Your advice is good.....and I agree that making your own bimini can save you money....
I'd only disagree with one thing...that's the "5 years".....

I got 10 years of life out of my original OEM (JSI ???) dodger and bimini, with most of that in Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean, summertime Med.....
While that may not be evreyone's experience, I think 5 years is a bit too early for a bimini replacement.....

Oh, I also think there are some out there (like myself) that simply don't have the talent to actually make a new dodger and bimini......and some may not have the time, or space available to to all of the work.....
I can do a temporary sail repair, bimini repair, etc. (by hand), but I'll leave the rest to someone else.....you know that old saying, "a man's got to know his limitations"...

Just my thoughts......not any more valid than anyone elses....

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 19:23   #13

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
True what you say John. But I figure that here in Texas, about 5-6 years is what I count on it being.... good. But I guess I will see. The next bimini is going to be made with a white sunbrella. So it either will last longer because the color reflects a lot of the sun, OR it will last shorter because it will be black in no time!

But either way, it will be ok. As far as talent, I have none. But I will try and try again to make a good one.. and I am confident it will be ok.... or lets hope so!
Old 15-12-2009, 05:04   #14

Boat: pilot cutter
West Marine sells DIY Bimini parts kits that look to be pretty reasonably priced, including assorted sized coverings. What's odd is that everything else in the store looks to be overpriced except for the Bimini kits, compared to price quotes such as the one above.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 10:23   #15

Boat: 42' Cascade Custom Cutter "Sanctuary"
New Bimini

My 42' Cascade Custom Cutter has a center cockpit, and a fixed bimini frame, that is, a rigid, welded stainless steel frame. I originally had a Sunbrella top made that was laced onto the frame. The stitching deteriorated after 5 years and I decided to replace it, rather than continually trying to waterproof it.

I had considered making a fiberglass cover, but that would entail removing the frame from the boat because there is no way do that much glass work without dripping some on the boat. The canvas shop I talked to about another fabric cover asked if I had ever considered making a cover from starboard.

I had not, but talked to the starboard people and they said it seemed a reasonable use for their product, though no one had ever asked before.
I bought 2 52" x 96" sheets of 3/8" white/white for less than the cost of a new fabric cover. Since you cannot glue starboard with any reasonable success, I mechanically joined the two pieces using a 2" wide aluminum strip attached with #8 screws, washers, and nuts. I used 5200 caulk under the aluminum. It was difficult heating and bending the starboard, but the result was worth the effort. I now have a permanent, permanently waterproof bimini strong enough to stand on.

I would attach a picture, but this reply forum seems not to allow that. If you are interested, send me your e-mail address and I will send you a pic.
Daedalusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bimini Islands