Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 18:59   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Neighbors Boat Fire Seriously Damages My Boat

While I don't frequent marinas, I have never been asked to show insurance except for a long term mooring rental.

IMO the greatest risk to boats is fire in s marina. I know of far more total loses in marinas from fire than from damages while underway.

It some ways the OP was pretty lucky his boat was not seriously damaged and maybe he can get a few bucks. Possibly in a suite against the marina for allowing a dangerous situation with the pellet stove?
Old 22-11-2016, 19:24   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have not seen any pictures of damage. The OP wrote that it had "serious" damage.

The guy just wants some advice on how to proceed. Imho, no point in bashing him for not having insurance or being in a marina that doesn't require it.

So far, some suggestions for trying to work things out face to face, one to lawyer up, pronto.

Ann
Old 22-11-2016, 19:26   #18

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I am sorry to hear about all your problems but if you don't have an insurance it means that the marina does not require boaters there to have insurance and that is in my opinion a bad place to have a boat.
Liability or hull insurance? There's a world of difference between the two, both in coverage and cost. All marinas around here require liability, including disposal. I don't have hull (or collision on my cars), if I total them, it's the way the cookie crumbles.
If your marina requires liability insurance, and the neighbor didn't have it, then the marina should be at fault. It's called negligence.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 19:42   #19

The owner of the mobo that exploded and his offsider were aboard when it blew up: have been hospitalized for burns, though on vasco''s thread about the fire, it was posted that the owner of it has been back to the marina (out of hospital).
Old 22-11-2016, 19:42   #20

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

If it's not too late, take LOTS of pictures of everything you think even MIGHT be related.

digital photos are cheap !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 22:20   #21

Wise suggestion senor mechanico, always good to have documentation.

Ann
Old 23-11-2016, 05:10   #22

Legally, there are lots of options but a good chance he will be judgment proof.

1) Take lots of pictures and get a copy of the police/fire reports.
2) Check with the owner regarding his insurance.
3) Check with the marina regarding their insurance.
4) What is the value of your boat (the insurance value not what it's worth to you).
5) Can you quietly (without doing illegal things) find out what assets the guy has?

On to speculation: The guy probably doesn't have insurance either and likely doesn't have significant assets if he's a sneakaboard in a marina that doesn't force you to have insurance. Certainly check but don't expect to get anything out of him.

Your best bet is if the marina rules require insurance and they didn't check that he had it. There is the possibility that you have a claim since they didn't do their due diligence. Your lack of insurance muddies the waters though.

Even if you do find someone you can legally make pay, expect them to considered your boat totaled. Unfortunately "classic" means they will offer you some silly low value for your boat. They will give you next to nothing for the restoration costs you put into it.

Obviously, check and see if the situation is better but go in expecting the worst.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 06:25   #23

Your inquiry suggests you are unwitting &/or inexperienced in these potentially, time consuming, expensive and letigious issues. As a claimant, you will be detailing with others that are experienced and educated in such matters and they will be representing other interests, not yours. Consultation with legal counsel, surveyor, public adjustors educated and experienced with the the subject and issues would be prudent.

Remember that as a claimant, anything you say or write in forums such as this is discoverable. See above.

Depending upon the extent of your damage, other factors concerning the fire, your presumptive risk in self insuring, the time, effort & needed funds to pursue recovery, your time & funds may be more productively spent towards the repairs of your boat.

Good luck with it & sorry to read of your loss.
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 07:21   #24

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Sorry for your damages. Did this happen in Nyack?
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 07:46   #25

Boat: Seaward 22

You may be able to sue the marina if they have a no liveaboards policy and knowingly allowed him to violate. You need an attorney.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:20   #26

Boat: Pearson 34-II

C,
A very sad day for you and your beautiful boat. Your best recourse is to consult a marine attorney since your lack of insurance will be a serious detriment in your dealings with the marina and the offending boat owner. The longer you wait, the greater your potential for a negative outcome. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 23-11-2016, 08:27   #27

If you had HULL insurance, your insurance company would be fighting your battles, if you have NO insurance you are being foolish, a "shark" personal injury lawyer could end up getting everything you own if someone injures themselves on your boat.
I agree with the above, if the marina allows somebody to circumvent their rules, then they should be on the hook for your loss.

An explanation:
https://www.trustedchoice.com/boat-i...pes/liability/
Old 23-11-2016, 08:46   #28

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Laika, did I understand your post correctly? Were you interveiwed by a bomb robot? That is pretty scary for the human job market. I do not like interacting with robots, they are quite nosy when they speak to you. They are all like" do you want cash back?" or " that pin number is incorrect, please try again".
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:47   #29

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

My heart goes out to you, cburger... got some good advice here... I wish you luck in getting your vessel back into pristine condition. Bummer of an experience, though. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:57   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
Laika, did I understand your post correctly? Were you interveiwed by a bomb robot? That is pretty scary for the human job market. I do not like interacting with robots, they are quite nosy when they speak to you. They are all like" do you want cash back?" or " that pin number is incorrect, please try again".