Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 20:13   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Needle Scalers

Has anyone any comments about using this device for removing rust n scale from keels and steel structures? I am going to have to clean out the engine compartment on Espina, and thought this might be a bit less messy than grinding or sand blasting. I gather they are very noisy but earmuffs should take care of that.

Comments?

--

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 23:48   #2

Needle-Scalers are EVILLY efficient things for removing rust!
They're probably not quite as good as a sand-gun, but in terms of messiness and ease of use, they're undoubtedly the next best thing to having someone else do the work for you with a chipping-hammer! IMHO, I'd probably do the job in the water- reason being that the water'll deaden the roar of the needles!
Splash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 23:59   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'
I don't know if you are using an electric one or an air model. I have only experience with the air powered ones and they require a good deal of compressed air to work properly, they are also expensive. If you do go that route be sure to put a little oil down the air receptacle going into the gun periodically, since they use so much air there is a good bit of moisture that goes through them. Also get a bunch of spare needles and plunger. What ever air pressure the manufacturer recommends, is the air pressure to use, more is not better with regards to this application. If you are going to be using this long term, you might be better served with a small hopper sand blaster, cover more area in less time with less damage to the steel.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Safety Goggles (or better yet a full face shield), Dust Mask, and Hearing Protection must be worn by everyone in the work area. Operator should wear heavy Gloves.

If the scaler has an adjustable front nose collar, adjust it back for looser needles on rough surfaces, and forward for tighter needles on fine surfaces.
Use as little pressure as possible, allowing the unit to work at its own pace.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 15:47   #5

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Based on the comments, I think I'll give it a try. I have a fair number of small patches on the hull of SabreDance that could be done with this thing as well.

Tks
--

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:12   #6

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Needle guns and air chisels work really well. Wear a breathing mask, eye and ear protection and it helps to have your vacuum cleaner handy to suck up the chips so you can see the surface your working on. Serious ear protection.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:31   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Needle guns and air chisels work really well. Wear a breathing mask, eye and ear protection and it helps to have your vacuum cleaner handy to suck up the chips so you can see the surface your working on. Serious ear protection.

The US Navy gave me none of that when I did grunt work for them as an E=3 back in the '60's. My hearing's pretty shot as a result.

Steve B.
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 22:23   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Tannic Acid is evil...

On Boracay I do small rust repairs by cleaning as much "scale" off as possible by hand and then treating with either phosphoric or tanic acid.

The phosphoric sort of works.

If the phosphoric doesn't give me satisfaction I switch to tanic. It spreads it's evil purple stain everywhere, but given a few days and lots of "encouragement" it seems to get the rust to a manageable level.

It might not be better than a needle gun, but your hearing will stay with you a little longer. The purple fingers get better with time.

I'm currently trying a vinyl primer, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to my worst enemy.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote