Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 14:35   #1

Boat: Formosa 41, Ketch, 50'
Need to Repair Blissfield CA 996 Refrig Comp

Hi All,

I have a Fleming refrigeration unit, 12v, water cooled, R134a, cold plate refer/freezer that has worked for 10 years but now I need to repair/replace the Blissfield CA 996-05 compressor.
Blissfield made thousands of the CA 996 compressors, a long time ago, but they are now very obsolete and parts/whole units are hard to find.

The Fleming unit is made up of modular parts and has been repairable to this point, so I hate to dump it but to get a working refer/freezer system, I need to address the options:

1. See if anyone here knows where I can get CA 996 parts/kits/entire units.
2. Your thoughts on replacing to entire compressor system utilizing the existing water cooling and cold plate? $$
3. Remove and replace the entire cooling system with a Technuatics type system. $$$$$
4. Your thoughts on replacing to entire compressor system with a sealed 120v refrigeration compressor using the existing cold plate? On a good day, I have 15 amps of solar power for a 3000W inverter and 6 banks of old 2 - 6v AGM batteries. Right now I am using a 120v mini-fridge and the AC amps are minimal but what size 120v compressor would I need to replace my existing 12v unit which, when it ran, used 17amps for 3 hours, at least, twice a day. Unfortunately, the inventor of the Fleming unit is with the Lord and the current owner has no interest in supporting his product, so I could use your assistance!

What do your thoughts and experience tell you regarding my best option??

Respectfully