Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 15:56   #1

Need to know how it's called and where find

Hi all!
May be a little bit stupid question but..
Decided to make some upgrades and changes but cant find how called this plate for instruments on pedestal and where can I found something to replace it?
I tried to find some 0.6mm UV-resistant plastic sheets but сurrently unsuccessfully. I saw some variants with wood on other vessels but cant find something in one piece, not glued..
May be this detail has some name or part number so I can easy find it to purchase?
Thanks to all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-03-2013-184.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	62334  
Cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 19:49   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Need to know how it's called and where find

Try looking here: Vision Series : Edson Marine Store

It may not be the same manufacturer, but it might help you find the right word. Display? Array? Console?

Priviet!
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 20:02   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

I just call them instrument panels - not sure if there's a more technical name.

I've made some from G10 fibreglass or Tuffnol sheets. Paint them up with 2 pack paint (Imron) or if durability is less of an issue, just use spray cans. You can mechanically fasten the instrument panels but I just use an adhesive like 4200. When you upgrade or change your instruments just make a new plate using the old one as a template for your router.

You can probably buy them but I bet it'll be really overpriced!!
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:39   #4

Thanks,
Muskoka, may be you can remember its thickness as I'm far away from boat trying to purchase some plastic for it and no one want to sell lees than full sheet (2x3 m). So want to be sure it will installed and will look normal.
By the way G10 fibreglass as I know is some type of textolite so it seems to be dangerous to use it because of formaldehyde which will released during heating but I might be wrong.
Regards,
SPASIBO!
Old 12-06-2013, 04:43   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Many use a piece of KING STARBOARD to fashion a dash panel like that, cut and shaped to size and then with instrument cut-outs as needed...

-Chris
Old 12-06-2013, 13:50   #6

Thanks Guys, but may be someone could remember its thicknes? May be someone has Bav or know something as I have variants of PVC from 4 mm till 10mm.. what should I purchase? I think there should be no more than 6mm but who knows..
Thx.
Old 12-06-2013, 14:21   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

"Starboard" comes in black, white, and grey. This looks like it might be grey starboard as Ranger42c suggests.
Old 12-06-2013, 14:31   #8

Sounds great but what Nominal Thickness should I purchase for good looking.. Have someone possibility to unscrew it or maybe someone just replaced it? Thx
Old 12-06-2013, 14:47   #9

Fab a piece of alum and anodize it. Or, if you really want plexi and are worried of the thickness, double up the thickness and use groovy color tinted swirls in resin to bond the two sheets. Viola', bitchin' instrument panel!
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 14:59   #10

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

You can find just about anything at http://www.mcmaster.com/
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 15:57   #11

You can fabricate your own from PVC or ABS sheet material, which was readily available in the US in cut pieces. McMaster-Carr is great for raw stock. G-10 is a fiberglass epoxy. Good but expensive. Another option to check is Front Panel Express. You download a design program which isn't too hard to learn, lay out the panel with all the holes and any lettering.
Almost literally any shape and size you want. Email them the design file and they'll immediately send you a quote. Last time I worked with them, you could get plastic and aluminum panels in various thicknesses, in several colors. They aluminum could be plain, anodized or powder-coated. A couple of years ago, they did a special panel about 12"x12" with about 30 different holes and a lot of lettering for about $100. If your time is worth anything, you can't hardly make them as cheaply as they can.

And they have the best customer service I have ever run into. They made a mistake on one order, which was being shipped to Panama through a freight forwarder. When notified, they remade the part and paid to ship it direct to Panama, which probably cost more than the panel. A week later, we got a hand-written apology from the company president.
Rick
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 04:11   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post
Sounds great but what Nominal Thickness should I purchase for good looking.. Have someone possibility to unscrew it or maybe someone just replaced it? Thx

I see Starboard actually comes in about 9 different colors, two of which are gray... and it's quite commonly used for this application. Especially when mounting completely new electronics in place of older units that were originally cut in to a fiberglass helm station.

Check out the King Plastics website for details and info about suppliers.

As to thickness... the part in your picture doesn't look either structural or load-bearing, so any thickness that is sufficiently stiff to avoid deforming when instruments are mounted ought to work.

FWIW, I've never seen any thickness of Starboard that will bend...

-Chris
Old 13-06-2013, 04:50   #13

It could been awesome but I'm from Ukraine so have no possibility to deal with King Plastics as it will be overpriced for me as of delivery costs. So should just search something here. And I just found some advertising agency which producing outdoor adv. So they have some plastics for outdoor use with UV-stability.
Regarding thickness I'm not worry of its deformation as I think will use 5+ in any case but of its appearance because of possible protruding edges in case of exceeding the thickness of the pedestal slot for this plate.
Oh maybe my Eng is poor to discuss such technical details but I'm trying.
Thanks.
Old 13-06-2013, 05:13   #14

Boat: Orca 38

Your English is fine.
If it protrudes from the "slot", maybe you could use a router and take the edge off of it?
Old 13-06-2013, 05:37   #15

Strait Shooter yes I decide to do so.. But you should agree that it would be better to just know exact thickness
Thanks!