Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2003, 23:01   #1

Question Need to do a Gas tank modification on MacGregor 26

Have been working on the boat making a few modifications to get it ready for the season.

Wired new depth finder, got a different boarding ladder, going to install a hand rail above the ladder today. Running all halyards back to the cock pit. Have to replace one of the spreaders, blah, blah, blah. Boats mean parts, money, and time. I'm not complaining, I love messing on the boat. Okay maybe a little complaint about the money .

Here is my problem: The MacGregor 26 has no place to put the outboard gas tank. Up 'til now it has always just sat on top of the aft lazerette on the stern. Aft lazerette is huge. I'm thinking maybe I could put in a through haul fitting for the fuel line and just build a shelf inside the lazerette for the tank. Aft lazerette is sealed off from the rest of the boat although there are a couple of places where wiring runs into the interior. Possible fumes could get through these areas.

Obviously, I will need to consider ventilation for the gas fumes. Will I just need vents or also a blower?
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2003, 00:50   #2

Can of worms

There's a reason the manufacturer didn't build in a tank - a whole slew of USCG regulations and ABYC standards go into effect for built in tanks or those attached in an enclosed space. Ventilation, hoses, corrosion of tank bottoms, tank hold downs, tank materials, ignition protection, etc...

The biggest fear is fumes leaking somewhere that they can be started by an ignition source. Your battery charger didn't have to be ignition protected, but now it can be a potential source. The ABYC standards are quite complex regarding ventilation, but a blower is required and there can be no point of entry of fumes outside of the tank locker - it's got to be sealed. A vent is also required.

Gasoline fumes begin at -40f and are heavier than air, like propane. If you can keep the tank outside, you're much better off.
Old 21-04-2003, 09:43   #3

Angry Thanks for your input . . .came to same conclusion

I sat and looked, drew diagrams, and ended up with the same answer you gave me. Much better to leave it outside. Just no good place to set the tank. Up til now it's just been on top of the aft lazerette with shelf liner under it to keep it
from sliding. No real problem with leaving it there I guess, just always seemed like there must be some better solution. Hopefully this will be the last summer for this boat. No real complaints about regarding this boat, it was good for where I've sailed it, but I'm ready to move up to about a 35 footer and do some cruising. This boat wasn't made for bluewater.

Thanks again for giving your thoughts. You know what they say . . . . A person only asks for an opinion to a question he/she wishes they didn't already know the answer to!!!!
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor