Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2008, 20:45   #31

Boat: Polaris 43 - Ibiza
Hi,

I'm about to purchase lifeline netting either from On Deck Sports or Gourock based on the recommendations here.

To those of you who have purchased netting from either of these suppliers, did you get the black netting that they recommend from for higher UV resistance?

If you did get black, how do you like the look of it on your boat?
Ibiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 03:10   #32

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
I went with the white. It has held up for 3 years now, and is outliving everything I come up with to attach it with. I am now getting setup to use stainless steel zip ties.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 18:06   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse View Post
I went with the white. It has held up for 3 years now, and is outliving everything I come up with to attach it with. I am now getting setup to use stainless steel zip ties.
Ok, I ordered up the netting from On Deck Sports. I went with the #36 White and I got enough to do the boat twice (we are leaving to go cruising this fall) for less than $100, including shipping.

That sure puts that wimpy, expensive stuff that West Marine sells to shame...

Anyway, while I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my netting, I'm looking for stainless steel zip ties and haven't been able to locate any so far.

Can you tell me where to find them?

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 24-04-2008, 18:36   #34

Follow up to the stainless zip tie question, above...

I have found what appears to be the normal stainless zip tie. They are 3/16 wide and come in various lengths.

These look like they might be a pain to attach to 1 inch stanchions and even worse to use on anything smaller due to the size of the clasp mechanism.

I had envisioned something smaller, perhaps made from stainless steel wire that might be used for attaching the netting to the stanchions.

Does anyone know of zip ties made from stainless steel wire / cable and where to find them?

Thanks again...
Old 24-04-2008, 20:08   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Google "stainless steel tie wrap" and you'll get plenty of hits.

STAINLESS STEEL TIE WRAPS PAGE

PART NUMBER
LENGTH
WIDTH
BUNDLE DIAMETER
STRENGTH LBS
USE DROP DOWN MENU
TO
SELECT
QUANTITY

ADD TO CART
TST-05
5.60"
.180"
1.00"
Stainless Steel 100 Pack - $64.95 Stainless Steel 500 Pack - $299.95 Stainless Steel 1000 Pack - $499.95

TST-08
8.40"
.180"
2.00"
Stainless Steel 100 Pack - $69.95 Stainless Steel 500 Pack - $329.95 Stainless Steel 1000 Pack - $599.95
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 20:11   #36

Boat: Sceptre 41
I've used UV protected plastic zip ties for alot cheaper. The black ones are the uv protected ones.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:09   #37

Did you try looking at Sailrite Sunbrella, Fabrics, Sailcloth, Canvas and Sail Hardware , they carry lifeline netting Lifeline Safety Netting - Great quality & price and mesh materials?
sailorgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 12:46   #38

We also purchased netting from On Deck Sports super fast shipping and we did our 30ft boat for $70 including shipping. Attaching it to the lifelines was super easy I used stainless hog rings they'll last forever and only cost me $10 total. These are the same rings commercial fisherman use to build traps.
wet dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 14:07   #39

You can order it from Fisheries supply Seattle:
Sold by the foot (with the netting collapsed)Note: It shortens as you expand it. If you order by the foot, order 1.42 times the finished length (at a 36" final height
However for the pup you might be able to cut it back to 18" wide instead of 36"?? Doubling your yield?? Avail white or black. $1.57 per ft.Fisheries Supply
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 09:02   #40

Boat: PDQ Antares 44
Re: Need Puppy-Proof Lifeline Netting (Cheap)

A related question regarding the best colour for lifeline netting.

White is the most common colour at most suppliers. I have been advised by someone to use black rather than white, on the basis that the black netting is more "transparent" and "invisible" than white.

I would welcome the views of those who have their own experience and views on this before we make our decision to purchase.
gholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 09:07   #41

Not sure it matters. The black seems maybe a little more "transparent"...Although if your deck is white.. maybe not! Netting is available in some sort of poly (scratchy hard finish) or nylon (softer) The only black I've seen has been nylon. (like anchor rode) From my experience with dogs aboard, any gap ... like at the stern or the bow pulpit... and they will be through it if they see you out there somewhere..!

Old 29-09-2013, 11:26   #42
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

g- Black nylon usually is much more UV-resistant than white nylon, so I'd expect the black netting to last longer too.

Transparent? Only matters if you're transporting a SEAL infiltration team, or getting scored on aesthetics by Boat Beautiful.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 14:30   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Transparent? Only matters if you're transporting a SEAL infiltration team, or getting scored on aesthetics by Boat Beautiful.
How did you know my boat was going for the cover of GQ with the SEAL team on the deck?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 05:14   #44

Boat: PDQ Antares 44

Quote:
g-
Thanks hellosailor, but I meant transparent in the sense of being able to see outwards through the netting, as opposed to inwards...
gholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 08:52   #45

Quote:
g- Black nylon usually is much more UV-resistant than white nylon, so I'd expect the black netting to last longer too.

well.... if that's the case then the bright orange plastic silt fencing might be an option....