Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2018, 13:44   #1

Boat: C&c 30 mk2
Need helping restoring cockpit grate

Just need help on restoring cockpit grate. I want it to look good and be able to step on it without the screws sticking people's feet. I was just thinking of layer of epoxy and finishing, but I am new to working with wood so I have no idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_132030.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	167140  
jruffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 13:56   #2

Boat: J/42
Re: Need helping restoring cockpit grate

I recently experimented with replacing a small grating with fiberglass catwalk grating. (Like the ramp to our dock.) Comes in many colors, tough, no maintenance... The verdict is that this grid pattern is a little too harsh on bare feet. I've got a layer of drideck over it at the moment. But there are other patterns out there that might work better. Just have to have a big enough project to justify buying the minimum size.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 14:09   #3

Boat: Bavaria, Cruiser 33'
Send a message via Skype™ to dgmultimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruffo View Post
Just need help on restoring cockpit grate. I want it to look good and be able to step on it without the screws sticking people's feet. I was just thinking of layer of epoxy and finishing, but I am new to working with wood so I have no idea.

Name:	IMG_2814.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	375.7 KB
ID:	167142Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2826.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	167146Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2833.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	167147
Iroko bought planed to size and slots and joint routed out. All joints bonded with epoxy, finished with oil or Osmo outdoor finish

OR

Name:	IMG_2831.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	167148

Cut and route from marine ply
DG
Old 27-03-2018, 07:10   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruffo View Post
While it will be somewhat laborious, remove the screws one-by-one and nip the ends off by a few threads. Assuming the slats aren't rotted, if the joints are loose, separate them a bit and inject some Elmer's Exterior Wood Glue with a plastic syringe--available in the Epoxy's department at West Marine or the like--and then resecure with the screws although not too tightly. Allow a few days for the glue to dry/cure and then finish tightening the screws and sand the gating smooth (both sides) with a palm sander with 220 grit. Vacuum the sanding dust clear and than wipe the wood down with Mineral Spirits. On our gratings, I use a couple of coats of Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil Sealer, which is easily applied and once wiped down with a cloth dampened with Mineral Spirits has a pleasing appearance. From there on out, a wash with one step teak cleaner/brightener follow by another coating of Starbright every few months will be all you'll need.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 09:13   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36

I threw mine out and put down Dri-Dek. Just tired of constantly refinishing the wood, it is difficult to pull out and work around. But, I understand some want the wood look. Good on ya.
Sailsarefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 10:01   #6

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmultimedia View Post
Cut and route from marine ply
DG
You can use marine ply for a cockpit sole? Mine needs flow of water and doesn't it de-laminate after a few years?
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 10:22   #7

How about aluminum grating. It is anodized for harsh environments and comes in different styles. Sections could be tiged together to form a solid section to fit the area needing the grate. It is extensively used in engine rooms on commercial ships.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 10:47   #8

I got tired of cleaning all the gunk out from under the grate as well as the grate taking the gelcoat off at contact points. Not to mention constantly fishing small parts such as screws, bolts, nuts, etc from under it. So I put the grate in storage. If I ever decide to sell the boat the grate still looks good and will spruce up the cockpit. Otherwise too much of a headache for my taste.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 14:09   #9

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
How about aluminum grating. It is anodized for harsh environments and comes in different styles. Sections could be tiged together to form a solid section to fit the area needing the grate. It is extensively used in engine rooms on commercial ships.
Could be a tad hot in some environments, and thus a risk to bare feet.
Old 27-03-2018, 14:47   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post

Ugh.....,bare feet!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 14:27   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee PH43

My shower gratings are teak and nailed through the joints.
It now creaks and I have to tap nails down occasionally.
I'd like to put SS screws but removing the existing nails bothers me as I don't want to spoil the teak.
Any easy way of removing them?
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit