Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 19:33   #16

Boat: 1985 Beneteau First 305
Re: Need help pulling prop shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Step 1 - get a better set of tools.

Seriously, I see a "kobalt" in the picture. Some years back I tried to get a rusted mixing elbow off of a 5432 Universal and have bent a large Kobalt wrench. I still have it somewhere as a reminder to never use that POS brand again. We did manage to get the elbow off when a marine pro friend of mine brought in his tools. We ended up using a large hollow steel tube as a lever over a Snap-on (or was it Craftsman?) wrench. And plenty of PB blaster. Lots of PB blaster. Overnight bath if necessary - soak a cotton rag in BP blaster liquid and wrap around the coupling.
I'm sorry but not everyone can afford Mack and snap on tools to use on a boat and rust away. I've worked on all kinds of off road vehicles and tough parts and I've broken many expensive brands as well as cheap ones. These ones are a little better on the budget and work fine for what I am doinf with them. But thanks for the help.

907Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 19:38   #17

Thanks for the help guys. I can't get the square bolt/key on the shaft to release either. I'm planning on pulling the engine anyhow to clean it up and give it a good once over while it is out. I already have the prop pulled off. Once I get it disconnected and the engine pulled, I'm going to pull it through into the cabin. (I'm replacing the prop also) Then put it on the work bench in a well lit and comfortable spot to cut the flange off so I don't damage the shaft. I have a new flange to install. Thanks again for the additional suggestions. I'm heading over tomorrow and I'll let you know what I come up with.

Old 03-05-2017, 19:54   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Too late now, but an impact wrench will almost always loosen frozen nuts/bolts when hand tools just twist the head off.
Acid poured at the flange connection will eat any corrosion holding the flanges together. A rubber pan will protect the hull.
Also, said above, cutting a shallow groove at the joint will give you a space to insert a chisel.
Putting a piece of pipe over the shaft and the prop nuts back on will give you a slide hammer.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 00:34   #19

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Very good to hear you're pulling the engine; it's becoming apparent that the flange is very well stuck on the shaft.

Plus, once you get the flanges separated there is virtually no way to cut the flange off the shaft because they can't be separated far enough to get a grinding disc in there.

For a little more specificity on separating the flanges, the wood chisel method has had a near 100 percent success rate for me (near because I can't remember it not working), and is quick to boot, but if you can't get it to work, some of the other suggestions might help, but one to stay away from is driving the bolts out with a punch. Doing this risks damaging the races, balls or rollers on the output shaft bearings, and should be considered only as a last resort.

As for cutting the flange off after you've removed the assembly from the boat, my favorite tool is a 1/16" thick metal cutting disc on a 4 1/2" grinder, though a 7"x 1/16" disc can often be mounted on a 10 inch table saw for better control. A metal blade in a sawzall will also work but may be a bit more tedious, depending on the quality of your blade.

For the actual cutting, just a single slice parallel to the shaft is probably all you'll need; if you cut parallel with the key you'll have less flange to cut, and avoid scarring the shaft (which, if it happens, isn't the end of the world).

And, of course, cast iron cuts very easily with a hacksaw...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:28   #20

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello everybody,
To replace the cutlass bearing, no need to pull out the shaft.
I designed a tool (sure others did it before me). The front plate hole diameter let the tube going through. The back plate hole diameter is a little bit larger the the shaft. The external tube diameter is a little less then the cutlass, so it can slide and not remain blocked. With this tool you can't damage nothing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151215_103808.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	147055

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151215_105600.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	147056
CdS2 Roland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:42   #21

Boat: Mako 248

Cd--good idea.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 17:49   #22

Eureka!

After a hard fought battle the shaft finally succumbed. I'm pretty sure I won because I was more stubborn than it was. For the most part I took a sawzall and cut down the seam an Eighth of an inch all the way around and wedged it with a chisel. It took a little bit of everyone's advice to get it off but it finally broke. The motor mounts all came up easily and the shaft slid back so nothing else seems seized. Thanks all. Now onto the rest of my projects.

Juice

Also, thanks cd for the info but I have more projects than just changing the cutlass bearing so the shaft needed to come out.