Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 12:16   #16

Re: Need help in translation

David_Old_Jersey,
thank you for your answer.
Yes, you're right about copypasting the original text, I have though about it already but I don't know how to paste the pdf file correctly into the message window.
Anyway,about this question about 'gel wash' I thought I'd give some explanation in brackets in Russian about possible variants of what it might mean. And since it's a bid for a contract, two outcomes are possible here: either that my customer gets this job or doesn't. In the second case, it won't matter then what was meant by 'gel wash', and iа they do get the contract for making these boats, surely they will cooperate with the Indian customer, and then we'll get the chance to ask what is meant here.

I will ask some more questions, if anyone can answer them or make guesses, you're welcome
1) What is the difference between slinging and hoisting? I found the definitions of these words in dictionaries, and I looked at pictures in Google but I don't see much difference except that in case of 'hoisting' there're mechanisms used and in case of 'slinging' just straps? Or am I wrong again?
The problem here is that in this document these two operations are regarded separately, and the context is as follows:
Slinging & Hoisting
Suitable lifting & Hoisting arrangement by means of lifting slings suitably positioned so as not to foul with any fitted equipment or wheelhouse shall be incorporated in the hull design.
Hoisting slings of tested strength shall be supplied with slinging arrangement positioned so as not to foul with any fitted equipment or Wheelhouse.
Lifting slings and spreaders shall be provided with necessary test certificates. The test load shall be twice the SWL without person and effects.

I also underlined the words that I don't really understand. Well, I do understand them actually but I don't see the difference between 'lifting slings' and 'hoisting slings', and I'm confused by the underlined phrase in the last sentence: what kind of effects they're talking about, and where this person mustn't be present? On board the boat? (SWL is the safe working load, I know that).

I'll write some more question later, I need to look through the document again (actually, I'm almost done with it except for some things like 'gel wash')
Translator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 14:05   #17

2) One more question:
"The vessel should have good maneuverability for the following operational requirements:
Going alongside and leaving a vessel while under way for boarding purposes."

In a dictionary, I found that "to go alongside" is the synonym of "to moor" or at least is close in meaning. So I don't understand what is meant here by this operation "Going alongside and leaving a vessel while under way for boarding purposes"
Thank you for help )
Old 09-07-2012, 14:23   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

slinging refers to the slings ,cables,shackels and spreader bars used to lift the vessel.
the hoist refers specificaly to the lift,the crane and any movement of the vessel by the crane.

boarding underway is what a pilot boat is used for when it goes alongside a ship to drop off or pick up a pilot.

or in the case of a military vessel intercepting ships at sea and landing troops onboard
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 14:44   #19

atoll,
Thank you so much! Now I understand better the last question, and I see that I was so wrong about the "slinging and hoisting" question - donno why I thought that it's not the vessel that is to be lifted but some load. Stupid me - even more so because it's supposed to be a police patrol boat so there's not much to be loaded on that boat.
Old 09-07-2012, 14:59   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

no worries

just saw i missed this" swl without person and effects." this would be the dry weight of the vessel,ie when it is first launched,so without fuel or water onboard as well as people and their gear,spare parts,food etc.

the swl for a lifeboat for example would be calculated differently to include X persons and X fuel,X water,and X amount of supplies.
Old 09-07-2012, 15:29   #21

Thanks again!
... and a new question:
"Lubricating oil temperature parameters in tropical working conditions
and MCR both before and after, lubeoil cooler are to be confirmed from engine manufacturers/ principals and reflected in Technical Specifications."

'before and after' what??? Is the comma after 'before and after' unnecessary, and it should be 'before and after lubeoil cooler'? Or before and after work/operation, let's say?
Old 09-07-2012, 15:44   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translator View Post
Thanks again!
... and a new question:
"Lubricating oil temperature parameters in tropical working conditions
and MCR both before and after, lubeoil cooler are to be confirmed from engine manufacturers/ principals and reflected in Technical Specifications."

'before and after' what??? Is the comma after 'before and after' unnecessary, and it should be 'before and after lubeoil cooler'? Or before and after work/operation, let's say?
i think this would refer to the oil cooler,as the specification/size of oil cooler would be different for a vessel working in tropical waters, the engine lube temp ranges would stay the same for the engine wheter in cold or hot waters.

more specifically by parameters they mean confirmation by the manufacturer of the safe working tempratures for the engine oil itself,pre cooler and post cooler as listed in the tecnical specifications,and how they would compare in a tropical environment,and if any up grade is needed.