Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2022, 15:56   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: need help building wooden ceiling for pilot house

Did we ever get advised as to whether he meant "ceiling" in the household or nautical sense? Makes a big difference in the appropriate advice.

But I'm finding the various suggestions on technique for the overhead very interesting, especially considering the diametrical differences advocated by experienced carpenters. As an unskilled admirer of such work, it is fascinating to find that such different methods can lead to good results in the hands of a good practitioner.

Jim
Old 02-08-2022, 19:25   #32

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post
"tongue and groove red cedar strips with a tablesaw"....

T&G is an excellent idea. IMO, using a table saw to make your strips is a poor choice. Use a T&G router bit set instead. This will leave a tapered edge on the tongue which makes fitting easier and also prevents splitting of the thin sides of the groove when the wood swells with changes in the weather. The cut of these bits will also leave a nice chamfered edge where the boards meet.

To get a good picture of what I'm talking about, go to your local lumber store and look at the stock T&G pine boards they will have in stock. Then go to the tool dept to look at the available router bits.

I agree that a good router setup would have worked better but it wasn’t through lack of understanding that- just a case of using the best tools and material I had on hand, even if it took a little longer. Ideally I would have just bought some T&G…
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 07:55   #33

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

THANK YOU ALL!

For some reason I was not notified of all the replies.

For those that my need advice on your project and run into this thread, here's some clarification.

- Yes, it is the over head and not the ceiling.

- This PH setup has numerous deck beams, port and starboard connected as well to fore and aft beams. Uneven checkerboard design.

- 2 inches from the overhead to the mahogany trim so plenty of room for insulation.

-there will be deck fittings (winches, etc) so access to certain areas are a must.

I am currently in a full refit. Hopefully the interior is finished by summer 2023 so so far she is coming along quite nicely other than the time frame.

Thanks again everyone for the input. Greatly appreciated.
Drew74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 08:03   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
need help building wooden ceiling for pilot house

Personally “ V “ boards ( or even shiplap) are more useful then T& g. These days I’d consider a click together laminate a better choice laminates can be scored and snapped quickly too. New low moisture versions are good on a boat

Tags
wood